A new holster question...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TheWrights2004, Dec 12, 2008.

1. TheWrights2004

TheWrights2004 New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I have recently joined the ranks of CCW licensed individuals (technically application is in Tallahassee right now)...I am looking to carry my p3at as my primary concealment piece and have been painstakingly and growing more confused by the vast number of options available.  I like the idea of pocket carry BUT feel that front pocket carry is a disadvantage as access may be restricted to draw the gun in seated situations (ie. car, dinner, etc).  Back pocket as a good alternative does not appeal to my sense of comfort when sitting.  IWB would be a nice alternative BUT am not sure what would be a comfortable type of holster and think that there might be a similar restriction to the draw aspect of a pocket holster.  I think a high ride OWB might be the right fit but think it might lack on the concealment side. I really liked the few shoulder harness rigs I found BUT did not like that it was really visible w/ the various straps and connections being seen from the back.

Also, I am frustrated by the limited selection of holsters at local shops and do not want to be ordering 20 different holsters to find the 1 that I'll be happy with.

Any advice on the manner will be greatly appreciated.  Draw limitations of IWB and pocket holsters...Any good high ride OWB holsters

Also, I know there is a ginormous thread at the beginning of all the possible holsters out there, would it be possible to have that list some how seperated by type...pocket, IWB, OWB, and Custom order (one that requires waiting a designated time for the craftsman to shape and ship)...by doing this I think it would make that list a bit more manageable the average user who already has an idea of what type they are looking for.  Just a suggestion.

2. Geezer_Glide

Geezer_Glide New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Pocket carry is the only way that I carry my P3AT.  I have a Galco Pocket Protector and I like it very much.  For looser pants, front pocket works well.  For jeans, I carry in my right rear pocket.  The little Kel_Tec is so thin, it is hardly noticeable when I sit.  

The little Galco also works great in a jacket pocket and in my vest pocket when on the bike.  I tried the DeSantis and found it too thick. I tried some of the leather ones with the removeable panel and they were hard to draw from.  The Galco worked for me and I stopped looking.

3. sr9shooter

sr9shooter New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    After much consideration on this topic I decided on a billfold holster. A good holster will provide front or rear pocket carry and keeps the trigger covered (important thing to consider). In the right fitting jeans draw IMO is only slightly slower than a traditonal hip holster.

4. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    For my P380 or P32, 90 % of the time, it's the galco front pocket holster, the galco will also fit snugly in Lee Riders watch pocket, not in wrangler, or levi's tho. When I need deep concealment, it is a under arm high belly (chest) band, with a velcro strap over the handle, they will fall out with lots of bending over. A paddle holster is a favorite, but not much of a conceal. Gun shows are a great place to try different holsters and see which works best for you. Again, my favorite is Galco front pocket and they come free with a Crimson Trace laser. By the way, I have a box full of tried and failed holsters too. Jim <><

5. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008
    What brand is yours and do you find that it gets hot/sweaty? I live in Cocoa, FL and am typically in need of deep concealment as regular attire is shorts and a light t-shirt. I was looking at some of these "belly bands" and kept coming across people saying they'd get hot. Also, they all were black in color I'd really like one to be white or beige to be a bit more inconspicuous when worn under light colored t-shirts.

6. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I've got a drawer full of holsters, only 1 or 2 do I actually use. 1. a fobus paddle 2. a Triple K belt slide. Most of the time I use the pocket clip as its easier and less bulk.

7. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I only use the belly band with a T shirt under it, they do itch directly on the skin, but never noticed mine being hot or sweaty. I have an aftermarket white one (no name, got it at a gun show) the other one is a white kangaroo, with an over the shoulder velcro strap (for the heavier snubby 38 spl) also a black 6 in wide belly band (over the belly), from a gun show after market. They are nice for driving too, but I wear wrangler (western) snap shirts, untucked. Yes, the black ones do show through a light shirt. So does the handle of the P380, if the shirt is not loose. In the summer I wear cargo style shorts, and carry in the front pocket, (not the cargo pocket) with my shirt untucked. Never been busted (2 yrs). If it aint handy why bother. Back to the snapped up shirts, quick and easy access, yank it open with off hand and gun hand on gun.... Jim <><

8. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008
    I'll have to keep an eye out for a white/beige colored belly band as I think that would be my desired method of carry. Also, I'll check into the Galco pocket holster for an alternative means of carry.

9. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster, size 10. Perfect fit, pretty comfortable, and affordable.

10. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008
    Have you ever tried to draw from a seated position? If so, what was the result?

11. Mike

Mike New Member

May 21, 2005
    I also live in FL and carry 24/7 in a smart carry.

Mike

12. NavDoc

NavDoc New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I use a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster in my right rear pocket. No problems.

13. Welcome to KTOG 2004.

To determine what holster will work for you depends on your lifestyle, clothing options, body type, and other variables.

A guy with a belly that flops down to his knees will probably want to avoid the smart carry.

A taxi driver will probably not use an IWB.

An executive in a suit and tie will probably not want a OWB.

Tell me a few details about yourself, and maybe one of the 19 3AT holsters I do not use will be perfect for you.

One thing I have learned after buying a BUNCH of cheap nylon is that a custom leather holster is worth the money to me.

14. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008
    I am of average build (6', 185Lbs, no flop over belly but no six pack either). I try to only wear a suit when mandatory (wedding/funeral). I am a teacher so daily carry is out of the question as I can not even have it in my car on school grounds. Primary carry would be in casual dress when out in public w/ family/friends. I want something that is discreet, comfortable, and most importantly functional from virtually any position (sitting/standing/running/etc.). My dress attire is normally jeans and polos (possibly a button down shirt if the event calls for it) or cargo shorts and a Tshirt. Anything else I can tell to help get better advice just ask.

I am leaning towards front pocket carry if nothing else BUT am concerned w/ functionality such as seated in the car. I don't know how that might restrict retrieval of the gun. I do like the Galco pocket protector for pocket carry BUT do realize there are a lot of fans of the nemesis and billfold style holsters and am open to all advice.

I'm taking my time shopping around as I can't carry until my CCW gets cleared and sent back to me probably in Jan/Feb of '09.

Also, I recently came across the Galco Underwrap, http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=2440&CatalogID=393 , and the SpecGear TRUSS, http://www.specgear.com/home.html , systems. I really like the look and concept of these as they could work underneath practically any cover shirt and I can get my hand on my piece by simply crossing my arms. I just don't know if either of these would work for the small frame of the p3at. Any advice on either of these from anyone w/ experience w/ them would be great, especially info on the TRUSS system.

15. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    A holster worn in the appendix carry position or cross-draw position will give you the greatest versatility, especially seated in a car with a seatbelt in place.  I can draw a gun from an appendix carry position a great deal quicker than from behind the hip IWB, or even OWB, with a shirt covering it.  You're not going to get your gun out of a normal pocket holster sitting in your front or rear pocket when seated in a vehicle.  You might succeed with a holster in a cargo-type pocket.  I can draw a gun from a pocket holster equally as fast as the appendix carry, provided my hand is already in my pocket.  If I have to insert my hand into the pocket and then draw the gun, then that amount of time is slower in comparison.  A well-molded holster will provide the greatest amount of retention of the gun in the holster.  My recommendation is to find a holster that fits the gun.

16. Based on what you posted- I think a nice leather IWB would work MOST of the time for you. With a small gun like the 3AT and an untucked shirt, you should be fine as far as staying concealed.

So the question now becomes retention, ability to draw, and comfort.

Check out the K&D Mini IWB Defender

http://kdholsters.com/iwb-defend.php

17. TheWrights2004

Nov 18, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a tremendous piece...

2 hiccups though...
    1) price $60 (incl. s&h) stings a bit around this time of year (I was looking to stay around 1/2 that price..it looks like a quality piece and is more than worth the price due to the time put in to create it I am sure)
    2) wait...14-16 weeks is a bit long (once again I'm sure these are handcrafted in order of receipt BUT still I'm pretty impatient)

Soooooo...by chance does anyone out there have a used 1 for a second gen that they wouldn't mind parting w/ NOW for a reasonable price????

KD...from your name I would guess that you might have some affiliation w/ this company. If so, do you by chance have a blemished one that might not have made it through quality control 100% due to a scratch in the leather, not evenly dyed leather, or some other minor issue that wouldn't effect lifespan or functionality that you might part w/ for a reduced price???

If not I may have to keep looking as purchasing this one would cause me to incur the price of a less expensive one for the time being while I wait for this one to get crafted and delivered.

Again though it looks tremendous and think it would work out well for what I was needing BUT have to see how the other items work themselves out.

18. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Sorry, I do not have anything available at this time.  We do on occasion have a holster on hand, but very rarely for a P3AT, or any Kel-Tec.

I realize that our wait time exceeds those of others, but we've been very fortunate to have a fair amount of work to do.  Also, I'm a bit different from some of your other custom holster shops, in that I don't only make holsters and related accessories.  While the holsters are the main gist of what we do, I make a wide variety of other items.    

I think you will find that our pricing for holsters is far below our competitors, especially when you compare all the factors.  We set the pricing at the level it is, to a great extent, to give more customers the opportunity to get a custom leather holster.  All things considered, I believe we offer our products at a very fair price.  I realize that for some, it might be a bit steep.  You may, on occasion, find one of our holsters for sale in the For Sale section of this or other forums.  We have offered our holsters at a reduced price that have blemishes on them or some other minor flaw that does not affect fit or function.

Best of luck to you in your search.

19. RHB43

RHB43 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I tried in the pocket carry and did not like it, seems I always had other things to use my pockets for. I settled with a Don Humes J.I.T. Slide OWB shirt always untucked, very comfortable for me, I could almost forget that I have it on.