Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???
Hi everyone...first post here! I have been reading tons of info on just about every pocket pistol I can find...to make a long story short, the CC permit came today and it is finally time to buy one...and that "one" is def going to be a p3at.

Gander Mtn has a green/blued for sale for 279...I really want it but i dont know if that is a good price. Is it?

ALso, I have read on this forum that a J++++ serial number is desireable. Why is this? the gun i want has a J serial but what makes that special.

Lastly, the store will let me field strip before i buy...what should I look for before making the purchase...I want to take all steps possible to buy the best p3at I can find!

Thanks in advance for all of your help! This is a great site btw...tons of info!

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
$279 is a bit high for my area.  $249 - $269.

What to watch for?  Obvious bad stuff but otherwise the lifetime warranty covers all problems.

I bought a new P3AT and before I had 50 rounds thru it, it was back to KT for failure to fire.  Couple of weeks later it was back and runs fine ever since.

Check around in here, peening issues come to mind, but that is hard to catch without a full field strip to examine the recoil spring pocket in the front of the slide.

Hang in there, more people will chime in.  Possibly this evening.  There seems to be a day shift and a night shift here.  Of course there are some who pull all three shifts. ;)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
+1 to RAT on everything.

I will add just that if you have a choice of several P3s at the same time I would strip them all and see which (if any) has the thickest hole in the slide where the guide rod goes through as that area is experiencing a problem in a fair number of slides out there in the J** series. Some have had no problems, others mutiple slides with multiple problems. I wouldn't fret over that though as there are multiple fix options and only one of them is to keep sending it back to mama.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Friends of mine out east say gun prices are high in NY (what else is new) so $279 might not be too bad. In CO they're usually aroung $259-$269. Do a fluff and buff before shooting and get a holster. Check the forums for the MANY threads relating to both. I've found the people here to be VERY helpful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome manrOe,
Interesting first post, but good questions. I have 2 HC P3's - Sn J5 & J7, both seem to be showing very early stage peening where the guide rod goes through the slide after approx 250 rounds through each gun. I would reccomend a SN J8 or later if possible, but not sure that the problem has been totally eliminated by KT. The issue is the machining in the slide, apparently a couple of months back slides were overdrilled leaving too little metal in the slide where the recoil springs rest. They must have made a boatload of the bad slides. With this condition, Over time and continued use, the pressure from the recoil causes the weak metal to push outward. Eventually the springs will pop out, and the gun will fail. When you initially see the problem begin, you can delay or possibly prevent further progress by inserting a thin washer in front of the springs. I picked up nylon washers from a hobby shop that fit nicely - tight fit in the machine hole in the slide and also center hole fit for the guide rod. I used 400 Gr sandpaper to make the washers a little thiner and prevent the springs from stacking. They seem to be working after about 50 perfect rounds on each gun, and I have not seen any further peening progress. I am trying to get a friend of mine that works for a medical device manufacturing shop to make a couple of washers for me out of UHMW Polyethalene (same stuff they use to make artificial knee implant wear surface). Very strong, dense, and low friction.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
At this time that price is pretty fair. You could possibly find one for less, but I've seen them lately for a lot more. The price is often determined in part on your location. In some parts of the country they are running higher and in some parts lower.

The J serial numbers are the newest series and as such are generally most apt to be trouble free.

Check the feed ramp, hood, and chamber. They should be smooth and quite shiny. If there are deep ridges that is not good. If they are smooth but not very shiny you could shine them up yourself with some #600 sandpaper, emery cloth, or polish with a Dremel type tool and jewelers rouge.

The slide inside should not have the deep machining marks as in the photo below. Some slight marks are OK.

Be forewarned…
Lately there have been quite number of P-3ATs with slides that have peening problems. This problem came up only a few months ago and Kel-Tec doesn't seem to have a handle on it. You could do a search on this forum for "peening" and find a lot of talk about it. If I were you I would buy the gun if looks good otherwise. If after some shooting the peening problem begins to appear try the "washer modification" that you will see talked about on the posts about peening. Or just keep returning the slide to Kel-Tec until you get a good one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys (and gals maybe) I bought the gun...took a few apart and bought the one that looked like it had the highest quality finish...everything was snug yet smooth and shiny! I found a J5**** serial so I was happy about that!

I still need to get a purchase coupon from the county clerk so i cant bring the gun home for a week or so ::) but I cant wait!

It came to a total of $305 with tax...and they threw in a box of cheapo ammo and a uncle mikes pocket holster for free!

Overall I am happy with everything! Thanks again for the warm welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Great - glad things are going well!

Come on back with a range report after you get to shoot it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sh*t...ive been reading alot...and had originally read that the "peening" issue had been worked out with the J*** SNs but now i am reading new posts with peening on those too....

So is peening just when the guide rod hole starts to be pushed outward around the edges...eventually making the hole wide enough for the spring to pop out?!? thanks What should I look for?!?

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
manr0e said:
Sh*t...ive been reading alot...and had originally read that the "peening" issue had been worked out with the J*** SNs but now i am reading new posts with peening on those too....

So is peening just when the guide rod hole starts to be pushed outward around the edges...eventually making the hole wide enough for the spring to pop out?!? thanks What should I look for?!?

You have a solid grip on the situation and already know what to watch for.

"...peening just when the guide rod hole starts to be pushed outward around the edges...eventually making the hole wide enough for the spring to pop out?!? "

That is it in a nutshell.  Remember the lifetime warranty.  It may be a PITA if you get a bad one butr KT WILL make it right.  For this much power in this small a package, this IS the only game in town.

Jim, whose P3AT has not started peening, yet.  If it does it will get another Florida vacation.  No big deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on the new gun.
Some may think you have over paid , but here in central FL, they are going for around $305-$320 and that's just for the plain blued ones.

Fortunately for me, there's a gunshow coming up this weekend and this board is just soooo damn helpful, i know what to look for. Before this board, I wouldnt know the difference between a 1st gen and a 2nd gen. Yet alone many other things.
Hope everything works out for you.

I know it will for me, and if it doesn't, well Kel Tec is only a 25 min drive ;D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info and the warm welcome! I am not too worried about the peening issue...I mean, I have not even picked the gun up from the store yet, I was not planning on shooting the gun too often to begin with, but hopefully I got a late enough start that by time my p3at starts to peen (if it does) Kel Tec will have a garunteed 1st time fix!

Again, thanks for the posts...I will be sure to post some pics of my first trip to the range!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.