Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am uncertain which of these two models I want to buy. Fortunately I live in a state where both are legal. I have a few questions that would be helpful to have answers to:

- Are the C and the CA models equal in terms of accuracy potential?
- How do they compare in terms of comfort of shooting (cheek weld, etc)?
- How much weight does the KT compact forend add to the rifle over the stock bipod forend?
- Have you found the stock bipod forend to be functional and useful as a bipod? Any major issues with POI changes while using the bipod?
- Do the C and CA models really weigh the same?

Thanks and best wishes!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would guess that the c and ca have the same accuracy. It depends on the shooter. They are identical besides the rear stock so I would imagine same accuracy and weight. They are polymer stocks so they weight close to the same.

I ditched the bipod for end. It wasn't steady for me. Plus I wanted a foregrip so I went compact for end for now til I go redlion. I didn't notice a change in weight.

I have the A model with e stock added. I also bought the c stock for it so I can pack it in my bad

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Windswept - I can't answer your questions just offer that I have 2 "C" models strictly
for backpack carry. With this being my main goal I don't need to throw a bunch of add on items. I limited what I did to a scope on one and shark muzzle device on both. I do not use the bi-pod. These shoot well enough for social use and I have never had any issues!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a C and a CA.... both use the same basic parts save for the stock. In fact I recently swapped my C into a CA by buying a A/B stock.

Comfort of shooting personally hasn't been bad, but for any optic installed a cheek riser might be something I would suggest.

I don't have a compact forend so I can't comment, the stock bipod is flimsy, it shoots high with it and I burn myself more often on the barrel as I feel around to grab a hold of something. However, its not meant to be produce suppression fire in a gun fight so a few rounds is not going to cause terrible blistering.

CA weighs a little more, C is a little front heavy. My CA is always loaded with 20 rounds of PMC X-tac 55gr FMJ-BT in two stock magazines stuffed in the buttstock, so naturally it weighs a little more.

the C is awkward to shoot folded, the CA is a decent truck gun, lives zippered up in a tennis racket bag. Grab and go, 20 rounds on tap. push the cotter pin in, grab a mag from the buttock, insert it, grab the charging handle, pull and release and you're in the game. So for a highway robbery sum of money I bought a A/B stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
-The rifle stock is more comfortable and stable than the folding stock, though it's really up to the shooter -- some prefer the folding stock better. The folding stock is more for versatility of firing folded, if needed, like an AK folding stock.
-The compact fore-end might be a little heavier with the metal parts, though I think it's pretty negligible, until you start mounting items on it anyways. Both the bipod fore-end and the compact fore-end have a slight bit of wiggle to them.
-The bipod is functional, but flimsy, and the point of impact does shift higher, at least with .223 ammo. It may be more noticeable beyond 100 yards, but shorter range shooting it wasn't that bad. I just go with the compact fore-end and sandbag.
-The rifle stock lets you store magazines in the stock, which can balance the weight and recoil. The folding stock makes the rifle front heavy, but it's still light.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My SU-16 C has a Red Lion front stock (no rails).

The balance seems pretty good to me. I do not really notice it to be front heavy when it has a loaded magazine.

The balance point is about 2 inches in front of the magazine well.

On my M4 "gery." which has pretty good balance. The balance point is about right in the middle of the mag well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's true, a loaded magazine puts more weight center, especially a 30 [email protected] ~1.2 pounds. A 20 round magazine is roughly ~1 pound. Most with the rifle stock keep a magazine in the stock, which adds more weight rearward. Even with it empty, the folding stock seems to have more weight near the grip than the rifle stock. But we're talking about ounces, if that, ha, it's only noticeable due to how light our rifles are without a magazine.

Though, I'm using a Bravo, so the weight balance is a bit different than a Charlie. With a 20 round magazine, it balances towards the front within the magazine well. With a folding stock, it shifts about an inch more forward with the same loading.
Mileage may vary though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well it seems like when ever I sell a gun I regret it later after the newness of the one that replaced it wears off...probably just hand on to the AR an pick up a SU later. I hope to buy some property in the boonies so I can set up my own range/practice area, so I'd probably shoot more if I do it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The only difference between a C and a CA is the stock and trigger group; which, as mentioned, is totally interchangeable. I have an SU16C and an SU22 with the original stock. I occasionally swap them on a whim, and I can't tell any real difference between either stock when shooting the SU16. Since you're also swapping trigger groups, there might be a bit of random difference there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.