Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's on the way. I HOPE. And it was a ridiculously preposterous (or preposterously ridiculous, if you prefer) process. I wouldn't be surprised if Kel-Tec does not receive my firearm. Read on.

Kel-Tec did not send me the shipping label, FedEx did. It said FedEx right on it, had a bar code, a QR box, and it was addressed to K-T CNC, Inc. in Cocoa, FL. The small print said that it would be insured for $100 and that I could purchase additional insurance at additional cost, and of course I sure wanted to do that.

I painted over the Kel-Tec logos and identifying information on the box that the KS7 came in, bubble-wrapped the weapon, included all the correspondence between me and Kel-Tec as instructed along with applicable photos demonstrating the failures, taped the thing up real good, affixed the FedEx shipping label, and took it to Going Postal - an outfit that serves as a hub for UPS, FedEx, and USPS parcel shipping. They wouldn't take it. I was informed that they can't ship firearms and told to take it to the FedEx facility.

The FedEx facility has ten-foot fences topped with razer wire, a barred entrance, and you need to buzz them to tell them you're there. They didn't want to take my shipment either, even though I had a FedEx shipping label on it. I was informed of a number of rather eye-opening things:
  • The ATF has released new rules pertaining to the shipment of firearms. Only long guns may be shipped. No pistols, no revolvers. (!) More on that in a minute.
  • If K-T CNC, Inc. is not an approved shipper, they won't receive my KS7 and I won't get it back either. Only an approved shipper can ship a firearm. I pointed out that I had a FedEx shipping label, but the FedEx employee in charge assumed that Kel-Tec had sent me that label. When I informed him that FedEx sent me the label he didn't believe me. No kidding.
  • The local facility does not have the means to determine if a shipper is approved to ship a firearm. It took some rather expert convincing to get him to call someone and find out if Kel-Tec was an approved shipper. The worst case scenario, he informed me, was that if Kel-Tec was not an approved shipper my shipment would not be delivered to them and I wouldn't get it back. Under new ATF rules my shipment would be deemed an illegal shipment and it would be confiscated as if it were a shipment of marijuana or illegal drugs. I am not making this up. I have a very good imagination, but not this bizarre.
-The FedEx employee finally verified that Kel-Tec was indeed an approved shipper and agreed to accept my shipment. He had no idea how I might purchase more than the mere $100 FedEx provides, so if my KS7 disappears I'll be out $550 IF FedEx makes good on the $100 insurance.
- Neither the box nor the shipping label can provide any indication that the contents is a firearm. That, apparently, is why the label read "K-T CNC, Inc." It can't say Colt, Benelli, Smith&Wesson, etc. Again, I was informed that these rules are from the ATF.

Now about that prohibition on shipping handguns. If that really is an ATF restriction rather than a FedEx policy (the implication was strongly that it originated with the ATF), then one would want to only buy a handgun made by a manufacturer with a stellar quality control reputation and history. That leaves out Kel-Tec. I know some here have send problematic Kel-Tec handguns back to the factory for warranty work in the past, but I was informed that these rules are new.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A post script: The shipping label that FedEx sent says,

"Warning: IMPORTANT: TRANSMIT YOUR SHIPPING DATA AND PRINT MANIFEST
At the end of each shipping day, you should perform the FedEx Ground End of Day Close procedure to transmit your shipping data to FedEx. To do so, click on the Ground End of Day Close Button. If required, print the pickup manifest that appears. A printed manifest is required to be tendered along with your packages if they are being picked up by FedEx Ground. If you are dropping your packages off at a FedEx drop off location, the manifest is not required."

It took two calls to FedEx - the first to a person whose mother tongue was absolutely not English - and both calls required wading through the automated phone tree before being allowed to speak with a human. So let me save you some trouble. This procedure is for the shipper who must have a FedEx account, and in cases like this the shipper is Kel-Tec. Warning or not, all you can do is use the tracking number because the Ground End of Day Close Button is not available on the web site to anyone who does not have an account. Just FYI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been following this since the first post. Having shipped firearms a number of times I'm on the edge of my seat to see how this plays out. The last time I shipped was last year. I shipped my Remmington 700 for the trigger recall. I don't remember which shipper I used but it went straight to the gunsmith and back to me. This is really interesting. I'm interested in the fix and if you get your KS7 back. Good luck, I'm rooting for you. I have a KSG BTW. Polished it up and a couple of minor mods and it eats everything I put in it, including shorties.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have been following this since the first post. Having shipped firearms a number of times I'm on the edge of my seat to see how this plays out. The last time I shipped was last year. I shipped my Remmington 700 for the trigger recall. I don't remember which shipper I used but it went straight to the gunsmith and back to me. This is really interesting. I'm interested in the fix and if you get your KS7 back. Good luck, I'm rooting for you. I have a KSG BTW. Polished it up and a couple of minor mods and it eats everything I put in it, including shorties.
Thank you for your encouraging words! I was rather amazed at the attitude I encountered at FedEx. The guy was blunt and negative. He said that if FedEx offered addition insurance they'd surely go out of business, and didn't even try to pursue a solution to that even though I pointed out that the small print on the shipping label said it was available. I live in a very rural area where the pocket gophers and black-eared jackrabbits both outnumber the humans 100,000 to one, and UPS does a much better job out here in the boonies than FedEx. That guy's attitude just about clinches my opinion on FedEx, but if I get my gun back I'll have to reconsider a bit.

My daughter has a KSG, and she likes it. I don't know if she's tried shorties in it, though. I'll ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well now you got me curious so I went back to look. I still had the emails. Remington sent a box and a link to UPS. Once I had it packed properly I clicked the link and scheduled UPS to pick it up. They brought a label with them. Approximately a week to 10 days later he brought it back. I remember it was a very smooth transaction. All happened Feb./March 2020. But your right Fedex service is subpar even in the metropolis I live in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I can't find any indication that the ATF prohibits shipping a handgun, and I even visited the ATF web site. In fact, you can send an unloaded handgun through the US Mail System if the recipient has an FFL. I think that guy at FedEx must have had reference to some new FedEx policy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A common thing with UPS and Fed-Ex is that front desk workers have NO idea what the law is, and often have no idea what their own companies policies are.
Fed-Ex seems to be the worst.
Most companies and distributors that ship guns seem to use UPS, and apparently for good reasons.

You seldom ever/never see a Fed-Ex truck dropping of a shipment of guns at a gun shop.
For this reason I avoided Fed-Ex as much as possible.
The UPS depot was miles away, Fed-Ex right down the street, but I drove to UPS.
The local UPS Stores and other shipping stores are not owed by the shippers, they're locally owned and will not take guns, knives or other horrible weapons.

It's common to be told that you can't ship a gun because of a Federal law or regulation that doesn't exist.
I've been told a number of times by Fed-Ex workers that I couldn't ship a firearm to the maker because at that time I wasn't an FFL holder.
When I was still working and DID have an FFL, there was often a lot of head scratching and wondering if it was okay to take the gun.
The proper way to handle it is to ask to talk to a supervisor, and keep working your way up until you get to someone who knows the facts.
There's usually at least one person in the building who knows what's what.
He may be out to lunch or off, and I've had to come back another day.

The Federal law specifically allows a Non-FFL to ship and receive back a firearm sent in for repair or alteration.
The people doing the work have to have an FFL to receive it, but they can send it directly back to you, since an FFL is involved in at least one end of the transaction.

You can ship rifles and shotguns through the US Post office, but ONLY an FFL holder can ship a pistol through the USPS.
ONLY USPS rules state that the box can't have the word "GUN or Firearm" on the outside.
This was after the 1960's Gun Control law was passed USPS REQUIRED the word "GUN or Firearm" be on the outside.
This led to a wave of stolen guns, so the rule was changed.
So you can have the word's "Kel-Tec" on the outside of the box legally, but it's not smart since that alerts a thief.

As for the private shippers, they may have a rule about putting references to a gun maker on the box, but last I heard this was simply advice by the gun makers to help prevent theft.
It wasn't ANY kind of law, just good advice, but possibly the shippers now have a rule on this.

If the BATF had released some regulation or rule that handguns could not be shipped in for repair by a non-FFL, you'd have heard SCREAMS on all the web sites and in the news.
If you look on any gun makers web site for directions on how to send in a pistol for repair, no where does it tell you that you have to use an FFL.

In short, you got a load of straight BS from people who have no idea what they're supposed to be doing.
Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Kel-Tec received my weapon yesterday afternoon, and I received this message from them first thing this morning:

"This email is to notify you that your KS7GRN has been received and a work order has been created. Firearms are serviced in the order that they are received and you will be notified again via e-mail once work has begun."

Cool.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts