Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
DON'T alter the firing pin.
First, that positively will void the factory warranty, and second, either the pin is defective or not and if defective should be replaced not altered.
Unless you have a known good extra pin to compare it with there's no good way to ID a factory defect.

NOTE: I measured my KS7 firing pin protrusion, and it's 0.050".
My KS7 is totally reliable on ignition.

In your case I suspect that you have a gun with some factory defects causing your problems.
If new factory ammo still gives problems I strongly recommend sending it back to Kel-Tec for a factory level diagnosis and repair.
By all reports Kel-Tec is doing warranty work in a reasonable turnaround time, and with excellent correction of problems.
If they replace parts, you can do any fluffing and buffing again to smooth it up.

Making any alterations blind hoping to hit on a fix will usually ruin parts, cause other problems, and will require paying to have it corrected.
In short, when a new gun fails to work let the maker correct it on their dime.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Of course, the only guns that get posted about much are the one's with problems.

To be fair, I'm not hearing much bad about the KS7 after the usual start up production problems.
Most KS7 owners seem to have no trouble.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just use a standard dial or digital caliper.
You can buy these cheap from Harbor Freight, and inexpensive ones from reloading supply companies.

These will have a pin or rod that extends out of the gage that can be used as a depth measurement.

Extend the depth pin then hold the firing pin forward with the bolt out of the gun.
Position the depth rod or bar of the gauge on the bolt face and gently press the gage down until the butt of the gage contacts the firing pin.
This will give a read on the protrusion.
I usually do it a couple of times to insure a valid measurement.

Extend the depth bar or rod #2, then put the butt of the gage over the firing pin #1 and press down until the gage stops.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Font Wood Auto part

·
Registered
436 Posts
ARA.........
All you need to do is contact Kel-Tec.
They'll pay for shipping both ways.

I recommend enclosing a copy of the photos of the light primer strikes. DO NOT send a live shell.

Use their Support Ticket system and they'll take care of you........

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wrap the box with heavy brown shipping paper and a good amount of good tape.

The only question is.... will Kel-Tec send the original box back or a new box.
Some people like to keep original boxes, but that's up to you.
If you don't care, buy some cheap light brown spray paint and cover the markings on the box.

Still another option is to go to a shipping store and see if they have a box that could be used that's not too big.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A common thing with UPS and Fed-Ex is that front desk workers have NO idea what the law is, and often have no idea what their own companies policies are.
Fed-Ex seems to be the worst.
Most companies and distributors that ship guns seem to use UPS, and apparently for good reasons.

You seldom ever/never see a Fed-Ex truck dropping of a shipment of guns at a gun shop.
For this reason I avoided Fed-Ex as much as possible.
The UPS depot was miles away, Fed-Ex right down the street, but I drove to UPS.
The local UPS Stores and other shipping stores are not owed by the shippers, they're locally owned and will not take guns, knives or other horrible weapons.

It's common to be told that you can't ship a gun because of a Federal law or regulation that doesn't exist.
I've been told a number of times by Fed-Ex workers that I couldn't ship a firearm to the maker because at that time I wasn't an FFL holder.
When I was still working and DID have an FFL, there was often a lot of head scratching and wondering if it was okay to take the gun.
The proper way to handle it is to ask to talk to a supervisor, and keep working your way up until you get to someone who knows the facts.
There's usually at least one person in the building who knows what's what.
He may be out to lunch or off, and I've had to come back another day.

The Federal law specifically allows a Non-FFL to ship and receive back a firearm sent in for repair or alteration.
The people doing the work have to have an FFL to receive it, but they can send it directly back to you, since an FFL is involved in at least one end of the transaction.

You can ship rifles and shotguns through the US Post office, but ONLY an FFL holder can ship a pistol through the USPS.
ONLY USPS rules state that the box can't have the word "GUN or Firearm" on the outside.
This was after the 1960's Gun Control law was passed USPS REQUIRED the word "GUN or Firearm" be on the outside.
This led to a wave of stolen guns, so the rule was changed.
So you can have the word's "Kel-Tec" on the outside of the box legally, but it's not smart since that alerts a thief.

As for the private shippers, they may have a rule about putting references to a gun maker on the box, but last I heard this was simply advice by the gun makers to help prevent theft.
It wasn't ANY kind of law, just good advice, but possibly the shippers now have a rule on this.

If the BATF had released some regulation or rule that handguns could not be shipped in for repair by a non-FFL, you'd have heard SCREAMS on all the web sites and in the news.
If you look on any gun makers web site for directions on how to send in a pistol for repair, no where does it tell you that you have to use an FFL.

In short, you got a load of straight BS from people who have no idea what they're supposed to be doing.
Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common.

·
Registered
436 Posts
With a valid Fed-Ex shipping label on the box I'd fully expect it to get there, unless it's lost or stolen.

Let us know how the warranty service is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts