A crazy idea

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Southernshooter, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Southernshooter

Southernshooter New Member

May 31, 2007
    On a P3AT you can't half stroke the trigger to fire it after firing a round. Wouldn't shortening and lightning the firing pin spring make it possible. If you shortend the firing pin spring and modified the firing pin to allow for the shorter spring one in it would allow the hammer to hit the primer harder from half cock. My only forseen problem would be with a much shorter or softer spring it would allow the firing pin to hit the primer to hard if you fired a full stroke. Which could rupture a primer and potentially turn the gun into a grenade.

2. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      The problem with this idea is that the Hammer block is not designed to be used as a sear. If you wear out your hammer block by firing this way, the P3AT loses its drop-safety.
    y
      It's far better to just train yourself not to short-stroke the trigger.

Packer.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Like Packer said:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/fpspringp-3at.htm

4. Southernshooter

May 31, 2007
    So according to the link it would work though, That was the main reason of my post. I ain't gonna do it. I just wanted to no if it was possible. I wonder though if it was done and the shooter kept a close eye on the hammer block to check for wear if it wouldn't be a safe modification.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Maybe but you would loose just about all drop saftey in the bargain... an AD waitiing to happen. :eek:

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      To "keep a close eye on the hammer block for wear" would mean removing it from the grip for inspection after every firing session. Obviously you have never done this. Reassembling the hammer block is THE most difficult task of all. It has been known to make brave men cry.

You certainly wouldn't want to be doing this more than once.

Packer.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I really don't think the hammer block would be subject to wear under these conditions. I am assuming that it, like the hammer, is heat treated and has a hard surface. Keep in mind that the force of the hammer spring will be reduced as the hammer is not at full cock (rooster) when it is resting on the hammer block, so friction will be reduced. I would recommend, though, that you shorten the firing pin so that it is just slightly shorter than the firing pin channel in the slide. What you would really be doing is converting the hammer block/safety notch interface of your P3-AT into a sear/hammer interface, so I would recommend that you remove the hammer and maybe the safety block and inspect them to see if the mating surfaces of each appear to resemble a safe and reliable hammer/sear design. Actually, I recommend that you not do any of this, and leave the internal parts "as is". If you do, though, I think you should fully check out the safety and functionality of your mods. I can see light strikes as a possible functionality issue, and an AD as a possible safety issue.

PshootR

8. Southernshooter

May 31, 2007

I have had to do it, And yes it was a pain in the neck. Like I said this is all purely hypothetical. Because I don't feel safe doing mods like that and then carrying it for self defense.

9. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Since KT blows through so many of these pistols, how do they install the hammer block? Does KT use some special tools or something to make it easier or more efficient? Never done it myself...

10. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    It actually gets easier after a time or two--It's that FIRST time--Especially without instructions, that gets you.

Packer.