Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to all of the RFB and RDB owners ! :)

A couple of quick notes , and then I will let everyone get back to their business and interests up here . :)

A ) The museum has raised enough USD's by some VIP wealthy donors to go back to Montana in June to dig out the remainder of last years fossil discoveries ( including a couple of dinosaurs that are mostly complete ) . It looks like we may have found a nearly complete Ankylosaurus adult skeleton ( most of the skeleton of that animal is unknown ) so this would be a " big deal " ! :) Also , we thought last year that we might of had a second Dakotaraptor ( a mega Dromeosaur , about 16 ' to 18 ' long , with a jumbo sized sharp claw on each foot ; like a Velociraptor from Jurassic Park ) . It turns out that we did , but now because of lack of funding within the department , we will be leaving that bad boy in the rock matrix for a while . SAD :( And it turns out that this old geezer actually did stumble across and discovered a whopper of a Edmontosaurus annactens ( I still like calling it by the old name of Anatosaurus ! ) :) It's the last of the line of Duckbill dinosaurs from North America . This one seems to be nearly complete ( not unusual for Edmontosaur skeletons ) but much MUCH BIGGER ! :D Perhaps in excess of 60 feet ! :eek: That means that it would rival the largest known duckbill dinosaur from China ( Shantungosaurus ) which was in the 50 ' to 60 ' plus class .

B ) The museum asked me again if I would be part of the expedition . Of course I said YES !!! :rayof: So , I am a happy camper ! :D

C ) Lastly , on a personal note : This week , this old man , at age 68 ( soon to be 69 ) will receive a/his PHD in Paleontology from Northern Illinois University that I have been working on for a couple of years , on and off . I will have finally completed my " Formal Education " ; I guess better late than never ! :eek:

This summer on the dig it will be interesting to see how the staff and student crew address me : Doctor or Colonel ! :D

I hope that the Winter was good to all of you , and Spring is here now , so get those RFB's and RDB's out to those newly opened outdoor shooting ranges , and have a little fun ! :)

Thank you for reading this update and have a most wonderful and safe spring and summer ! :)

Deinodontosaurus

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Hi to all of the RFB and RDB owners !
...It looks like we may have found a nearly complete Ankylosaurus adult skeleton ( most of the skeleton of that animal is unknown ) so this would be a " big deal " ! :) Also , we thought last year that we might of had a second Dakotaraptor ( a mega Dromeosaur , about 16 ' to 18 ' long , with a jumbo sized sharp claw on each foot ; like a Velociraptor from Jurassic Park ) . It turns out that we did , but now because of lack of funding within the department , we will be leaving that bad boy in the rock matrix for a while .
For a minute I though you had unearthed a RDB "Woodosaurus"

And a RFB "Targetosaurus"

But you found ones that are real instead:rolleyes:.

We need PICTURES!
:nopics:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For a minute I though you had unearthed a RDB "Woodosaurus"

And a RFB "Targetosaurus"

But you found ones that are real instead:rolleyes:.

We need PICTURES!
:nopics:
You know , I've been thinking , why dosen't K-T start thinking about making the RFB in another , bigger caliber , like a 338 Winchester Magnum , or a 340 Weatherby Magnum , or some other big game caliber round ( 338 Lapua etc. ) , and keep the RFB in production with what ever new big game caliber they pick , and give the 308 winchester to the RDB ? This way the RFB stays in production , with its heft , and we all get a gun to do some serious hunting with ?

What do you think ?:cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
You know , I've been thinking , why dosen't K-T start thinking about making the RFB in another , bigger caliber , like a 338 Winchester Magnum , or a 340 Weatherby Magnum , or some other big game caliber round ( 338 Lapua etc. ) , and keep the RFB in production with what ever new big game caliber they pick , and give the 308 winchester to the RDB ? This way the RFB stays in production , with its heft , and we all get a gun to do some serious hunting with ?

What do you think ?:cool:
On this bigger-is-better caliber standard, I'm starting to think a little differently on this. I had some of my hunting shows recorded on my sat receiver and was watching a couple last night and during this morning's breakfast. In particular those two brothers on the Gunwerks show were hunting large, black bears at distances of 650-750 yards out west. As long as creative editing didn't occur, they dropped two bears with some authority with one shot each with the 6.5 Creedmoor...if I heard correctly. I see this round used more and more on big game at long distances. Not posting this to start a caliber argument, but the short action, 6.5C seems to be gaining a lot of popularity, and maybe not just based on the flavor-of-the-month, routine cool factor that often pops up with guns.

·
Registered
427 Posts
On this bigger-is-better caliber standard, I'm starting to think a little differently on this. I had some of my hunting shows recorded on my sat receiver and was watching a couple last night and during this morning's breakfast. In particular those two brothers on the Gunwerks show were hunting large, black bears at distances of 650-750 yards out west. As long as creative editing didn't occur, they dropped two bears with some authority with one shot each with the 6.5 Creedmoor...if I heard correctly. I see this round used more and more on big game at long distances. Not posting this to start a caliber argument, but the short action, 6.5C seems to be gaining a lot of popularity, and maybe not just based on the flavor-of-the-month, routine cool factor that often pops up with guns.
When it comes to these wonder cartridges, my first questions are always "does the rifle hold 20?" "Semi auto?" The sky's the limit for a hunting-and-hunting-only rifle

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reading up on several " official " big gun hunting calibers short of the 40 cal and up big boys ( 458 WM , 460 WM , 50 Cal Browning " Ma Duce " ) , my personal vote goes for the 338 Lapua Magnum . :cool: I would purchase one in a second if K-T was to produce the RFB in that caliber . With a hunting barrel and 20 round detatchible magazine , beefed up to handle the recoil of the 338 Lapua Mag , you could actually hunt and take down anything that walks on 4 legs on this planet . I am not looking at endangered species ( like elephants , or rhinos , etc . ) , but think about adult male moose , elk during the rut , 600 plus pound wild hogs , etc . Yeah , the tried and true 308 Winchester can take them all , but in a panic situation , you had better not miss that first shot . I know and understand that this is only a pipe dream , but I would love an RFB in that caliber ! :)

I am still thinking about which long gun I own to take with me this year to Montana . I have a brand new Chiappa 1886 Lever Action Carbine ( 22 " barrel ) in 45-70 Gov't. Cal . that I am leaning towards , but my RFB 24 Hunter is still a contender . My .50 Cal Desert Eagle SAP automatically goes with me , so I don't have to worry about which hand gun to take .

The out door rifle ranges here all opened up last Saturday and I wanted to get back into the swing of things so I went to a down state range with the RFB and my Stag Arms 1L in 300 Blackout Cal. and put 300 rounds through each gun ( standard range ammo ) just to get the " rustiness " out of me , and had a really good time doing it ! :) Boy , I really recommend to one and all : get out on the weekend and take your rifle / carbine of choice and put in a little range time ! :) What an absolutely great way to spend a Saturday ! :) Good for the Soul ! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have also heard many good things about the 6.5 Creedmoor , and I know that it is growing in popularity . At the range last Saturday there was a fellow who had a bolt action rifle chambered for it , with a nice scope on it and he was hitting targets precisely at the 800 meters and beyond distance . The recoil seemed to be light when he was shooting . That would be a big plus for most shooters these days . As you know the 308 recoil in the RFB 24 Hunter is also light , when shooting it . It feels to me about half of the recoil of an M-14 / M-1A . I don't know what the recoil feels like on the RFB 18 Carbine that you own , I have never fired one . I think the question I would have about the 6.5 Creedmoor would be what game animals would be legal to hunt with it's use , and which states would allow it to be used on which game animals . I know ( for example ) that there are some states that allow only 7 mm rounds and above to hunt deer with . And how accessible is the ammunition to the general shooting public ?

I am old school , and to me bigger is better ! :D I still think that I would opt for a 338 Lapua Magnum RFB Hunter if I could get one ! :D Again ; only a pipe dream ( and wish full thinking ) ! :cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
On that 338 Lapua, I notice some outfits like Noreen make that caliber in a very nice AR...also in 7mm mag, 300 Win Mag, and others. To be honest, I've lusted after a 300WM AR for some time which strikes the logic part of my brain as totally unnecessary. Our biggest local gun shop here carries Noreen, and a couple of area shooters have it in 300WM and 338 Lapua. It appears even these big caliber AR's have decently acceptable recoil. I guess the weight and semiauto action tames a lot of it. I don't think my 18" RFB has any aggressive recoil, and I've owned .308 bolt rifles which I think have a rather sharp recoil...not 338 Lapua bolt rifle level by any means.

Short action semiautos have big enough receivers and attendant hardware to deal with the pressure and cartridge size. These magnum level semiautos really require some mass. Not sure I want to deal with that unless I was only going to sit at a bench.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
On that 338 Lapua, I notice some outfits like Noreen make that caliber in a very nice AR...also in 7mm mag, 300 Win Mag, and others. To be honest, I've lusted after a 300WM AR for some time which strikes the logic part of my brain as totally unnecessary. Our biggest local gun shop here carries Noreen, and a couple of area shooters have it in 300WM and 338 Lapua. It appears even these big caliber AR's have decently acceptable recoil. I guess the weight and semiauto action tames a lot of it. I don't think my 18" RFB has any aggressive recoil, and I've owned .308 bolt rifles which I think have a rather sharp recoil...not 338 Lapua bolt rifle level by any means.

Short action semiautos have big enough receivers and attendant hardware to deal with the pressure and cartridge size. These magnum level semiautos really require some mass. Not sure I want to deal with that unless I was only going to sit at a bench.
WoW ! :eek: Really ?!! :eek: A company by the name of Noreen . I've never heard of them . I will have to check them out . :) Thanks for the 4-1-1 ! :)

I have also been a fan of the 300 WM round . I am actually surprised that AR -10 type manufacturers don't offer that caliber in their standard line ups . It is the " TOP KICK " in the 30-06 / 308 / 7.62 mm 51 Cal family of rounds . It's seems only logical that they would offer that Cal. as the top end of their AR-10 type platforms . It is also the last Cal. of this type to offer acceptable recoil to most shooters . Kick it up one more notch and most people will put a 338 rifle down and and walk away from it because of the recoil . Nobody enjoys shooting a rifle if the recoil starts hurting the shoulder / arm after only a few rounds fired . I had a friend ( who sadly passed away far too you :( ) who owned a Browning Semi-Automatic rifle which was chambered for / in 338 WM . We went to a out door range one day , and he let me shoot a few rounds with it . The recoil was a bear ! :( My shoulder was soar for the next couple of days . No kidding . And I was use to shooting M-1's and M-14's .

:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here you go bud.

For only 6 grand and 125 per magazine, 10(?) rounds of semi-automatic 338 LM can be yours.

http://onlylongrange.com/bad-news-338-lapua-magnum/

Noreen also makes 20 round 30-06's for about $1700, and $75 per magazine.

Oh and they have a 300 win mag for 2700, 10 rounds per magazine.
Yep, the 300WM is more in the realm of affordability. I've handled a couple of the Noreen AR's at that local gun shop. Nice looking guns...big guns. The guys who have them here have nothing but good to say about them except for the cost of ammo if you don't reload.

Deinodo, a friend has one of those Browning semiautos in 7mm mag. It's recoil is...aggressive. The beauty of the semiauto AR platforms is their highly effective buffer system. When you have the gas and buffer system tuned properly, a big caliber AR is surprisingly tame. Their relatively massive weight doesn't hurt in taming recoil either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here you go bud.

For only 6 grand and 125 per magazine, 10(?) rounds of semi-automatic 338 LM can be yours.

http://onlylongrange.com/bad-news-338-lapua-magnum/

Noreen also makes 20 round 30-06's for about $1700, and $75 per magazine.

Oh and they have a 300 win mag for 2700, 10 rounds per magazine.
Thanks for the 4-1-1 " Henshao " ! I'm not sure that I would be willing to spend $6000.00 USD on a rifle , but it is worth checking out any way ! :) My new project that I am putting some bucks into is an old UH-1M Huey ( a UH-1C with the up-rated UH-1H engine ) from the Viet Nam War era . :) I picked it up from a few close friends who still worked for Uncle Sam a couple years back for $1600.00 USD in near flying condition , and have been working on it a couple of days and nights a week . If my money holds out and I keep to my schedule , that Huey should be Airborne in about 12 months , with me at the collectives ! I flew UH-1B's and C's as gunships in Nam and grew to love them ! :) I have kept and maintained my Helio Flying License and Certification all these years and just can't wait to get that / my bird up ! :cool:

Thanks again for the info ; I'll check it out ! :):cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thank you sir for your service in that dreadful mess:usa:.
I'd love to see that bird take flight or maybe pictures with you at the helm.

Thank you " Grand Poobah " ! :)

Had to take the evening off yesterday and attend the commencement ceremony to receive my doctorate ; went to a local " watering hole " with a couple of old buddies that I have known since my military days and lifted a few with the boys ! :D

I put in 8 hours today working with a local master mechanic on the UH-1M . I must give credit where credit is do ; I flew those birds more than helped to repair them , and the gentleman who is working with me repaired them during his Army career . His name is Don Philips , and he spent 20 years as a master mechanic working on UH-1 and CH-47 Choppers . I met him at the local airport where I am renting the small AC hanger for the UH-1M . We got to talking one day and he offered to give me a hand ( Greatly Appreciated ! :) ) on the restoration of the Huey . He had every manual for that chopper , and there isn't a thing which he doesn't know about it . With him as lead mechanic and my buddies who have access to the US Army Aviation Parts Distribution System , I have a really great chance at seeing this project through to completion .

The devil in me keeps saying : " now if I can only get the weapon mounts , two 2.75 inch rocket pods , two M134 Mini-guns , and that 40 mm G/launcher for the nose . . . " . :cool: :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang Deinodo...a Huey? You don't need a high powered rifle. You need an M61 Vulcan.:D

TNC two M134 Mini-guns would work nicely ! :D

I don't think that the Army ever tried to mount a 20mm M-61 on a Huey . You might be able to do it if it were mounted under the nose . Like the Gazelle in the flic BLUE THUNDER . But it sure would be nose heavy ! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.