A couple of questions before buying..

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JimBob, Jan 14, 2008.

1. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Alright guys, I have narrowed my options down to the P3AT. Now I have a couple of questions before I buy. I have located a couple in the city both used and new.

If buying a used one, what do you look for?? I am not familiar with how they field strip. I know there are two generations of these guns. I read through the 17 pages of the sticky on the differences, but honestly I have no better idea now after reading all that then I did before I started. It almost seems that while there were some problems with the older ones, both generations are liked & disliked about equally.

Either way what do I need to look out for on a used one of either generation??

Also, say I find the finish on the slide I want in a used one, but I don't like the frame/grip color. Is it possible to have it swapped out? (obviously for a cost I am guessing) Say the used one has a HC slide but OD green grip, can I order or have it swapped for a grey grip? I have seen it mentioned in the Trading Post section one guy is selling his with a green and a black grip. Are the grip/frames not serial numbered as the reciever on these guns? Not sure how that works..

I've been offered a used P3AT in Hard Chrome, with 3 mags, and the pocket clip for $300 in like new condition. I didn't think to ask what generation or grip color it was and I don't want to seem like a jack@ss calling him back for that info.. is $300 a good deal for this setup? The Hard Chrome versions seem very hard to find around here.

Is buying a used one a good idea? With all the problems that have been well known with these guns, I am almost a bit afraid of buying a used one for fear of it being a problem child and immediately sold in "like new" condition. I don't mind having to send it back to the factory to make it a reliable gun, just worried about not being covered if I bought it used..

2. Danner

Danner New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    You can buy a new one for $240-280.

3. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    The mags alone or worth 25.00 each.Sounds like a fair deal...

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    1) Price
    2) Price
    3) the grip can be changed. the frame is black aluminun and it is numbered
    4) Only if it is what you want, It might take time to find another
    5) Yes

5. If it was me, I would pass.... BUT... I already have a few and will only buy them now if they are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

6. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Danner, that would be a fairly accurate range if you can find them . I am pretty set on the HC version which seem pretty ellusive locally. The local shops I called all wanted atleast $259 for a new one in blued, add $10 for park'd or $20+ for HC (and this was just by their pricing list no one had a HC in stock for sale) Some places wanted more, none would take less then $259 for a new one in blue, the average price I was told for new in HC was $299.99. So if I bought used I would be getting the accessories for free.. or

If the mags are worth $25 each that drops me down to $225 for the gun itself. Drop another $12 for the belt clip, down to $213 for the gun itself $87 for the extras.

All in all I think it seams like a good deal since I could get it and not have to go on a waiting list.. With my luck though the grip will be green! haha

7. If H/C is what you want, and he is the only game in town... GO FOR IT!

Don't count on the Navy Blue Grip!   :D

[​IMG]

But I think they ALL look good!

[​IMG]

8. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like a fair deal to me for the HC with all the extras. The extras can get expensive.

God bless and good luck,

Reggie

9. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    As far as the lifetime warranty goes. KT don't ask if you are the original owner & you don't tell. ;)

I'd NEVER think twice about buying a used KT. New vs. used with a KT it's the same in my book.

10. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well that sucked.

Just got back from retrieving the $299.99 deal on the HC P3AT. I get there and its "oh our bad, thats a HC P32, not a .380"!

Thanks for that buddy! You might want to check and be sure you have what your selling people over the phone before they end up taking time off work, taking out $$ from the ATM, and driving accross the city! Yet another reason I absolutely HATE dealing with the shops in this city!

>:(

Looks like its back to the drawing board. And from the looks of it there is no HC relief in site. All the distributors are showing out of stock. Kel-Tec sure could sweep up alot of sales if they got to making another batch!

11. kubmiester

kubmiester New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    JimBob:
    Keep looking. They're out there.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    JB - my heart sank for you when I read that. Double bummer dude. Do keep looking, and don't hesitate to buy online if you have a decent FFL close. You can get pretty good deals out in INet land too.

I have NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (hear that big brother) bought a used weapon, except of course those that I have transferred through an FFL, but I would not hesitate to do so with a KT.

-Scott

13. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well thanks for the encouragement guys. But I am already starting loose hope. There's another guy on here going through the same thing just a few posts down. I called every shop that I knew of today. All of them have blued in stock, a couple had park'd in stock. No HC. And the prices for blued are anywhere from $259 to as much as $325!!!

One of the local shop guys offered to look up his distributers (sp) and they are all showing out of stock. Curious when I got home I decided to call the mothership. I called Kel-Tec and talked with a guy in customer service. I asked him if they were still making the Hard Chrome version of the P3AT. He answered with an "oh yes were still making them" I told him that all the distributors where currently out of stock. He said "yea we are currently 30,000 or so back ordered on them right now." :eek: I asked him when they would be back in the distributors hands and he said "probably 3-4 months." :(

So short of finding a used one, or by sure luck running into one in a shop in some remote area that hasn't already been picked over, chances of finding one are slim..

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  15. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    JimBob , ya have a gun show in KC coming up Feb 2-3 at the expo center. I have had my best luck getting HC - KTs at our gun show in Topeka. I picked up a P11 and a P3AT both HC Navy blue for 259.00 each. this fall . Good luck;
    http://www.gunshows-usa.com/rkshows.htm

print and cut out the cupon for 1.00 off

16. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Scott, now that could be an option! Where could I find more info about this finish? Would it be as good as the HC factory slide?

And since I have seen it mentioned here and there, but no real specifics, what exactly is the "melting" process all about??

Burley, yea I was at the RK show couple weekends back, as always it pretty much blew! haha I always say I'm not going to the next one, yet I always do. I never find anything and most anything of interest usually is way high on price! (the dreaded "gun show tax") I will probably end up going just to see but its usually a waste of my $7. Hopefully I am wrong!

I used to live in KS and the Topeka show was ALWAYS one heck of a Top Notch show! Always looked forward to them! Can't say the KC area shows are worth squat usually. :( The Wichita shows were always pretty good as well!

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  18. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Very very interesting! The melting seems like a great thing for ccw carry on these. I will look for more pictures of a 2nd gen P3AT to see how much difference it makes on that version. I would have to think it would be pretty beneficial to the much more squared slide!

I'm wondering how the nickel holds up over extended carry use?

19. Blasphemy  ;)

Mitch... Who can never NOT go to a nearby Gun Show!!!

20. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I hear ya Mitch, I used to be the same way. Now though it seems like there are hardly any guns at the gunshows! Mostly trinkets and junk knives, and chinese tools and airsoft crap. Or its the same handfull of vendors with the same exact selection of guns they have had for the last 8 shows with the same very high pricing.. But since I am looking for something in perticular I will more then likely go check it out.