Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just FYI, I've been having very good results with the Speer 90gr Gold Dot in my P3AT. I loaded this one over 3.4gr of Alliant Bullseye with a CCI 500 small pistol primer in CCI once fired brass.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pocketgun said:
What was the MV on your handload?  Also, did you have to use the special seater plug that RCBS sells for use with the Gold Dot/UniCore JHP?
MV was right around 980 fps. I did not use the special seater plug either. These were loaded on a Lee turret press with Lee dies, so far I've run about two hundred of these through my P3AT with 100% reliability. :)

OH, the penny is a 1945.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pocketgun said:
980 fps out of a KT is pretty hot.  Did the Lee plug deform the mouth of the HP cavity appreciably?

I found a penny from 1919 the other day.
The Lee plug did not deform the mouth of the cavity at all. :) Here's a pic of one of the loaded rounds.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
pocketgun said:
980 fps out of a KT is pretty hot.
Yes, that's a pretty stout load. Buffalo Bore has a similar cartridge with a 1175 fps MV. That's the hottest I know of.

BTW, what were you shooting into? Gelatin? Newspaper? Looks like pretty good expansion. Is it consistent?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checker4Tix said:
BTW, what were you shooting into? Gelatin? Newspaper? Looks like pretty good expansion. Is it consistent?
This particular bullet was fired into 1gal water jugs with two layers of denim in front of them from about 7yrds. I've gotten pretty consistent results shooting these into the water jugs, wet pack, gelatin, and meat.

As far as MV, I've found that the GDHPs seem to work better, and are more accurate, if the MV is kept under 1,000 fps. When I tried some loads with Unique or Power Pistol that pushed the MV nearer to 1050 fps or so the bullets started to shed petals. I'm really looking forward to working up a load for the 102gr Golden Sabre when the bullets I ordered show up. :)

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
sniper7369 said:
[quote author=pocketgun link=1230738216/0#5 date=1230866488]980 fps out of a KT is pretty hot.  Did the Lee plug deform the mouth of the HP cavity appreciably?

I found a penny from 1919 the other day.
The Lee plug did not deform the mouth of the cavity at all.  :) Here's a pic of one of the loaded rounds.
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks for the pic.  ;)

Checker4Tix said:
[quote author=pocketgun link=1230738216/0#5 date=1230866488]980 fps out of a KT is pretty hot.
Yes, that's a pretty stout load. Buffalo Bore has a similar cartridge with a 1175 fps MV. That's the hottest I know of.[/quote]

Yeah, but that same round "only" manages 1019 fps from a Kel-Tec.  That is why I said his 980 fps handload is pretty impressive.  Bullseye seems to be the premier powder for pocket pistol loads. It is the hottest round I know of as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pocketgun said:
[quote author=Checker4Tix link=1230738216/0#7 date=1230910959][quote author=pocketgun link=1230738216/0#5 date=1230866488]980 fps out of a KT is pretty hot.
Yes, that's a pretty stout load. Buffalo Bore has a similar cartridge with a 1175 fps MV. That's the hottest I know of.[/quote]

Yeah, but that same round "only" manages 1019 fps from a Kel-Tec.  That is why I said his 980 fps handload is pretty impressive.  Bullseye seems to be the premier powder for pocket pistol loads.  It is the hottest round I know of as well.

[/quote]

Good point, I actually chose Bullseye because it is such a fast burning powder to get the most out of the short barrel. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.