9 Round P3AT Magazine

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nu_Agin_Shooter, Apr 12, 2007.

1. The 9 round magazine for the Kel Tec P3AT 2nd Generation.

Materials Required:

1 standard P3AT Magazine.

1 North American Arms Magazine with round Extender.
    Item # MZ-380_EXT      $30.00 from NAA  http://www.naaminis.com/guardacc.html#parts

1)      UNLOAD THE GUN!
    2)      REMOVE ALL ROUNDS FROM ALL MAGAZINES!
    3)      Completely dissemble both magazines.  Remove the base of the NAA extension like most magazine bases to allow removal of the spring and the follower.  Removal of the extension from the NAA magazine requires that the back plate come off first.  Fit a small screw driver or something into the hole in the back of the extension and push/pull it down.  The dovetailed piece slides down, then the extension can be removed from the NAA magazine.

[​IMG]

4)      Slip the NAA extended base onto the bottom of the KT magazine.
    5)      Slip the NAA follower and NAA spring into the now extended KT magazine body.
    6)      Assemble the NAA magazine extension onto the KT magazine.

Gently slip the converted magazine into the 3AT.  You will notice that the magazine does not seat well.  The problem is that the KT hammer spring catch (part # 279) does not conform to the top of the NAA extension base.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Simply stuff a rag down the 3AT grip magazine well, and sand down the hammer spring catch.  There is ample material on the catch to still retain the hammer spring pin (part #274).  Use caution at this step to not over do it.  It should be a sand a little, fit…sand a little more, fit type process.  You can use a Dremel sanding drum on it, but remember.. go slow and easy.  It does not take much to get a nice fit.  You could take the hammer spring on and off during this step if you are worried about marking up your grip, but then you run the risk of stretching the hammer spring, not to mention the hassle of taking everything apart many times.

[​IMG]

10 rounds can go into the magazine at this point, but to much pressure is on the rounds to pop into the KT magazine catch.  I have not tried it, but it may be possible to clip a loop or two of the NAA magazine spring to allow for round ten.

I went to the range with all of this done.

[​IMG]

I only shot one magazine full but no failures of any kind with this set up.
    [​IMG]

Any questions, comments or tips are welcome.

2. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Very, very cool. Nice work and even nicer write up.

3. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Nicely done - thanks! ;D

4. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Excellent work, and well presented!

Packer.

5. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Nice Job!!!

Now how about a 30 round mag and a selector switch for single shot, 3 round burst and full auto :eek:

6. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Great idea!! 8)
    I can't belive no one has tried to do this before. It seems so obvious and simple now. Good job, elegant solution. Do you think the KT follower would work in this set up?

7. Antibubba

Antibubba New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I keep flip flopping on what is cooler about Kel Tec's. The actual pistols or the pistol owners ;D. Well done!

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It has been done at least once before, but not this well. 8)

[​IMG]

10. I tried that, the KT follower did not fit well with the NAA spring. I actually destroyed the KT follower trying to make it work.

Look for that post the third Monday of next week, I should have the kinks worked out by then!

11. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Are you sure that the spring is stacking up and preventing the mag from seating or could it be the naa follower? Possibly shaving a fraction off the follower legs would allow it to seat.

12. JB

JB Guest

Okay, I know this is an old thread but I was kindly directed to it when the subject came up in another thread. The OP says this is for a 2nd Gen. P3AT. Is there any reason it wouldn't work for a 1st Gen.?

13. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    IMO none what so ever.

14. JB

JB Guest

Great! Thanks.

15. dyno

dyno New Member

May 21, 2007
    I've enjoyed experimenting with this 10 round mag mod.
    I've played with different springs and follower combinations.

The use of the NAA spring didn't work out for me, either,  as it was too stiff.
    Currently I'm using the spring out of my 3AT with one round extension mag.

The NAA follower occasionally would bind for me, so I settled on the P-3AT follower.

I could never get more than about three rounds off in a row with out the mag dropping for me, when I had the stock mag catch.

Now that I have a metal mag catch on my P-3AT ... it looks like it will be reliable!
    Too early to tell as I only have four complete 10 round mags through it to date, slow & rapid fire.

IMO this modification is definately worth a try  :) ... YMMV as always of course.

Thanks to the Nu_Agin_Shooter!

16. diesel350

diesel350 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
  17. sullied

sullied New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Just got the NAA 10 round. I trust the poster's superior handiness, but was wondering if one might dremel a notch for the protruding spring catch in the contacting flat spot on the NAA mag?

Thanks

18. Check the thikness of the spot on the mag before you put the dremel to it.

Consider the cost of blowing a hole in that expensive mag you just bought - vs - the very thick spring catch that would be dang near impossible to grind down to much.

19. patriot07

patriot07 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
  20. To who regarding what?

I do not have e-mail links in my profile patriot. Did you have a question regarding the mag build?