9 round magazine for my P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkammer, Feb 7, 2011.

1. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    While at the KT factory last week, I bought one of the 9 round extended magazines from the store. I plan to use it for range work and whenever I carry the gun in my zipper case. How long has this 9 rounder been around and have there been any problems reported with it? The search function didn't uncover anything. for me. :)

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

I used the Search against P3AT with the phrase " 9 round mag". Going back a year the earlist post that came up was this one... KelTec Products / P-3AT / Re: P-3AT 9 RD. Extended Mag At KT on: 05/19/10 at 22:40:05

I have one of the 9 rounders and it has functioned without issue. I don't recall reading of anyone else having issues with their mag. I suspect if anyone has had issues it is specific to their particular magazine, for whatever reason, and not a design flaw.

Take care...

3. illogicalmethod

illogicalmethod Active Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Yep, been around since last year, after much demand for a larger capacity mag with extended grip for a few years, at least.

I have one, which so far, has run flawlessly in function.

I've heard of some problems with a few mags, here and there. Mostly to do with some edges or something going into the magwell and making it impossible to load all 9 rounds. Those issues are usually easily and readily fixed with a file if they do happen. However, since it's a manufacturing problem that caused it, it's not something that will suddenly pop up on your magazine.

The only thing I do not like about the 9 rounder is the gap between the extension grip and the normal grip pinches the fingers. Other than that? I like it. In the future will be investing in a few more.

4. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I purchased one which did break apart where the extention connects to the standard steel mag after the first shot. Read on the internet that someone else's also broke apart in same fashion. They glued it back together but didn't report any update. I also did a lite JB Weld fix trying to keep the repair buildup low as not to interfer with the clearance or grip. On my next range visit it did again break apart. I suggest verifying how much the ears of the mag are gripped by the extention. If its not as much as a normal cap then I would not buy it.

5. Mike1951

Mike1951 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    I've hoped for these since I bought my first 10 rounder for my P32.

I just bought two of the 9 rounders and will try them out soon. I am very apprehensive after reading the reviews on the Kel-tec site.

"one extended clip did fail"

"mag jiggles around loosely in the gun"

"the mag is over 1/8" off from bottom of grip. Looks bad, plus this gap is in the middle of my ring finger and bites it every shot."

"fell apart after a couple of rounds"

"after the 5th round the plastic flange failed"

"same problem as others after the 2nd or 3rd round the bottom fell out."

"Bought 2 and 1 failed on the 2nd round."

"2nd round fired and the bottom of the magazine fell to the ground along with the remaining bullets."

Out of 14 reviews, that's 8 negatives.

On the bright side, it shouldn't take much ammo to find out if they work!

6. scubes3

scubes3 New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Have now had two (one original and one that Kel Tec sent as a replacement) and both failed to feed. Would jam the pistol after each shot. If I was lucky I could get two rounds off, but most time it would jam in feeding each time. Am working with Kel Tec now to try for a third magazine attempt. Kel Tec asked if I would send in the pistol and mag so they could determine the failure, but since they can't promise anymore than a 5-6 week turnaround and it fires flawlessly with the 6-round mag, I am turning them down. Will try another replacement mag and then give up on them if it also jams the pistol.

7. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Must be a minute difference between your original and the new. Or spring strength . little things like that drive me crazy I would have to figure it out .
    Good Luck

8. extremist

extremist New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Rule of thumb is: The more rounds, the more the chance of fail. My lucky number is 13 (6+1 in the gun plus 6 in the spare).