Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I did mine along the lines of Acs1krr.
I cut the strap off. Cut wire where the ends face each other at a 90 degree angle. Taped the bag about an inch away from each end. Used the left over pieces of cut wire to create hangers. Had to bend a recess at end here it comes in intact to mag well.

Only thing wasted was velcro strap.

Snug fit and worked like a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fantastic! I did one like yrs, Holescreek, except I didn’t bother to attach the cut ends together at all. Just rounded them so they won’t snag on anything, and spreading them apart is how I get the thing on and off. There’s plenty of tension to hold it on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would like to see a brass catcher that is made of durable plastic/polymer, snaps onto the stock, and is sturdy enough that one could put a support hand under it for support shooting probe with a bipod.

The bag ideas are clever, but a bag will run the risk of getting in the way of a magazine as it is inserted.

·
Registered
958 Posts
No intrusion to mag insertion. Maybe I dont understand but there is No way to put support under it as the rounds come out the bottom.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No intrusion to mag insertion. Maybe I dont understand but there is No way to put support under it as the rounds come out the bottom.
The spent shell receptacle can be the support.

One of the knocks on the RDB design is that shooting from a bench is hard because one can't place a hand under the stock just forward of the butt (in order to regulate elevation) because that where the brass is ejected.

If a little plastic box were clipped under the ejection port, the bottom of that box could serve as the bottom of a conventional stock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would like to see a brass catcher that is made of durable plastic/polymer, snaps onto the stock, and is sturdy enough that one could put a support hand under it for support shooting probe with a bipod.

The spent shell receptacle can be the support.

One of the knocks on the RDB design is that shooting from a bench is hard because one can't place a hand under the stock just forward of the butt (in order to regulate elevation) because that where the brass is ejected.

If a little plastic box were clipped under the ejection port, the bottom of that box could serve as the bottom of a conventional stock.
It is a good idea but given that the RDB was never intended to be a "bench rifle" if you want something like that, you're likely going to have to make one yourself (or have one custom made)...might be doable by bending kydex?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is a good idea but given that the RDB was never intended to be a "bench rifle" if you want something like that, you're likely going to have to make one yourself (or have one custom made)...might be doable by bending kydex?
Preliminarily, I've set one up using a vitamin bottle and zip ties as a sort of clevis pin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw a thread down a ways in this forum where people were waiting on a brass catcher to come out. I just made my first one by modifying an $8 AR15 brass catcher purchased from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SPZXWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First cut off the hanger:

Then slide the fabric off of the wire loop and bend it so:

It will clamp onto the ridge over the ejection port like this:

Once it feels like it fits well, slide the fabric back over the wire loop. After the fabric was in place I welded the loop closed again but if you can't weld a piece of electrical shrink wrap slid over the joint will work just as well .

Then all you have to do is spread the wire (it's very stiff) enough to fit over the rails and let it spring back in place to hold itself.

The chinesium wire loop is very stiff metal and it bends easier if you heat it red hot with a propane torch. It will bend without one but it takes a lot of force.
Saw your thread , went and ordered on myself, just got it in this evening going to start work on it tonight, thx for the tip!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing these great ideas...I've been pondering this subject for catching my brass for far too long.

Seems by now that there'd be a clever aftermarket company selling these for the RDB rifles...so until then, "Necessity Is The Mother Of Inventions".

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
or
"listening to what your customer really wants is money in your pocket"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Holescreek you are a genius!!
In 15 minutes I had a fully functional RDB brass catcher, only $8. If KT sold them I would have easily paid $50+ for it!
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Holescreek you are a genius!!
In 15 minutes I had a fully functional RDB brass catcher, only $8. If KT sold them I would have easily paid $50+ for it!
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge
I'm glad people are finding it useful. I love cheap solutions and find it curious that no one has started producing them for sale for those that can't figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw this some months ago; ordered the Chinese version off Amazon - and waited three months for it. So I bent the wires up over the two attachment points and it worked out well enough. Then I bought a second RDB and wanted a brass catcher for it, but didn't want to wait for three months. Found an AR-15 one for $15 at Cabela's and did the bendy thing, again up over the attaching points. Looking back, creating hangars like Silverback did would have been quicker and work as well as my solution.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts