$8 RDB Brass Catcher

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by Holescreek, May 25, 2019.

1. Holescreek

Holescreek Member

May 14, 2019
    I saw a thread down a ways in this forum where people were waiting on a brass catcher to come out. I just made my first one by modifying an $8 AR15 brass catcher purchased from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SPZXWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First cut off the hanger:
    [​IMG]

Then slide the fabric off of the wire loop and bend it so:
    [​IMG]

It will clamp onto the ridge over the ejection port like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once it feels like it fits well, slide the fabric back over the wire loop. After the fabric was in place I welded the loop closed again but if you can't weld a piece of electrical shrink wrap slid over the joint will work just as well .
    [​IMG]

Then all you have to do is spread the wire (it's very stiff) enough to fit over the rails and let it spring back in place to hold itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chinesium wire loop is very stiff metal and it bends easier if you heat it red hot with a propane torch. It will bend without one but it takes a lot of force.

JerD, quince, Tobias331 and 6 others like this.
  2. Holescreek

Holescreek Member

May 14, 2019
    OK, I just got a notice that I can't add links to my posts until I have 3 whole posts.

3. Holescreek

Holescreek Member

May 14, 2019
    That means that either my pics aren't going to show up or the Amazon link won't. I guess we'll see.

4. babue

babue Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Your pics and link showed for me. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

RC-78x likes this.
  5. RogueIV

RogueIV Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Good work! Nice and simple.

RC-78x likes this.
  6. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
  7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

That AR brass catcher is a versitile beast. Just a little bending & it fits a KT subbie like it was made for it.

RC-78x likes this.
  8. Holescreek

Holescreek Member

May 14, 2019
    I only chose it because it was the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. I thought that all I'd be using was the bag but after seeing how large the loop was I thought it was worth a try. It's very solid on the stock (zero movement) with plenty of clearance for the mag. After I add the mag well adapter on it will be a mute point anyway.

9. RogueIV

Dec 2, 2018
    Made my own off of the same one can't really beat $8 and like 10 mins with a hammer, vice and cutoff wheel. We'll see how it works when i can get to the range. 20190603_195925.jpg

Holescreek and iamscottasus like this.
  10. ACS1KRR

ACS1KRR Member

Jun 12, 2019
    My right elbow thanks you!

11. whynotthinkwhynot

whynotthinkwhynot Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Good one! So many good ideas came from that thread. I like this one best because it doesn't use or cover up the sling swivels that I don't use anyway, but still- those aren't blocked. I'll have to steal some ceiling wire and make one, an old fashioned coat hanger might work too. Back when I worked in industrial facilities, I could find stainless steel weld rods laying around all over the place. I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase those though- not cost effective.

12. RogueIV

Dec 2, 2018
    The wire that comes with this particular catcher is quite stiff and springy. A coat hanger might work but i'm not sure how well it'll hold onto the ridge especially when it starts to fill up.

13. ACS1KRR

ACS1KRR Member

Jun 12, 2019
    My solution...
    20190616_144938.jpg

14. CSBrady

CSBrady Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Great ideas!

iamscottasus likes this.
  15. RogueIV

Dec 2, 2018
    I thought I should also update, my $8 brass catcher has been performing fantastically as well. holds on tight and is easy enough to move when needed.

iamscottasus likes this.
  16. Holescreek

Holescreek Member

May 14, 2019
    I added the keltec extended mag well to mine too. the extension looks kind of cheesy (not designed to look like it was made for the rifle) but it functions well and works well for keeping the bag away from the mag well.

17. Thalvid

Thalvid Member

Jul 29, 2019
    15644264966381815665013.jpg A fixed design. I cut two pieces of 1/8" thick aluminum sheet into a shape that fits around the ejection port area. I bought longer screws with matching diameter and pitch M3 x 1.5 from Lowes hardware (Home Depot doesn't have black ones that are socket cap) I sewed a bag from water resistant material I bought from Wal-Mart, and riveted the fabric to pre-drilled holes in the aluminum frames. It's not readily removable, but it will stay fastened while running and gunning.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    RC-78x, iamscottasus and Rotorflyr like this.
  18. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

Dec 28, 2006
    While I personally wouldn't want one that's (semi) "permanently" attached, I applaud your innovation!

19. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
  20. proudmerican

proudmerican Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Looking forward to trying my hand at this DIY catcher; looks as if it came from Keltec with it. Nice work OP!