Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread down a ways in this forum where people were waiting on a brass catcher to come out. I just made my first one by modifying an $8 AR15 brass catcher purchased from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SPZXWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First cut off the hanger:

Then slide the fabric off of the wire loop and bend it so:

It will clamp onto the ridge over the ejection port like this:

Once it feels like it fits well, slide the fabric back over the wire loop. After the fabric was in place I welded the loop closed again but if you can't weld a piece of electrical shrink wrap slid over the joint will work just as well .

Then all you have to do is spread the wire (it's very stiff) enough to fit over the rails and let it spring back in place to hold itself.

The chinesium wire loop is very stiff metal and it bends easier if you heat it red hot with a propane torch. It will bend without one but it takes a lot of force.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
That AR brass catcher is a versitile beast. Just a little bending & it fits a KT subbie like it was made for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only chose it because it was the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. I thought that all I'd be using was the bag but after seeing how large the loop was I thought it was worth a try. It's very solid on the stock (zero movement) with plenty of clearance for the mag. After I add the mag well adapter on it will be a mute point anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good one! So many good ideas came from that thread. I like this one best because it doesn't use or cover up the sling swivels that I don't use anyway, but still- those aren't blocked. I'll have to steal some ceiling wire and make one, an old fashioned coat hanger might work too. Back when I worked in industrial facilities, I could find stainless steel weld rods laying around all over the place. I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase those though- not cost effective.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The wire that comes with this particular catcher is quite stiff and springy. A coat hanger might work but i'm not sure how well it'll hold onto the ridge especially when it starts to fill up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I thought I should also update, my $8 brass catcher has been performing fantastically as well. holds on tight and is easy enough to move when needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I added the keltec extended mag well to mine too. the extension looks kind of cheesy (not designed to look like it was made for the rifle) but it functions well and works well for keeping the bag away from the mag well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
15644264966381815665013.jpg A fixed design. I cut two pieces of 1/8" thick aluminum sheet into a shape that fits around the ejection port area. I bought longer screws with matching diameter and pitch M3 x 1.5 from Lowes hardware (Home Depot doesn't have black ones that are socket cap) I sewed a bag from water resistant material I bought from Wal-Mart, and riveted the fabric to pre-drilled holes in the aluminum frames. It's not readily removable, but it will stay fastened while running and gunning.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts