6th range trip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cap, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Put another 60 rds(for a total of about 600) through Baby today,no problems whatsoever,as a matter of fact the girls been absolutly flawless for the last 400 rds or so.Very pleased with its reliability.The only issue I have is that no matter how careful I am the takedown pin spring allways pops out of place when I break it down to clean it.Took me well over an hour to get that sucker back into the frame.To avoid "THE BULGE". Previously Jocko was nice enough to suggest the rubber vice grip to hold it all together before breakdown,may have to get one. Was getting very frustrated today.At any rate got her back together,back into my waistband for another month or so_Or at least until I have the burning need to take her out and throw some lead down range. Really do enjoy shooting this little cannon..

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Sounds like a fun day ;)

Just curious on how are you removing the pin. ?

the way I do;
    use fingernail to lift pin to get a gap.
    force rim of round under head with base flat against slide, just a little foward of exactly above pin.
    use thumb to push barrel/slide back just a little
    then push bullet end of round away from pin, while forcing base into pin.
    It gives me a very positive pop out

Maybe I've just been lucky :-?

3. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    I'd break my fingernail if I tried that. I use a very small screwdriver, and push on either side of the pin to avoid the bulge.

4. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi JFB.
    Yours was made before mine.  "HUExx".
    I have no trouble with grip, taken the pin out.
    I made a wooden mag to hold the slide back.
    Charlie.

5. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    After blocking the slide open with a piece of plastic,I press down with two fingers on either side of pin,use a small screwdiver to get it started then pop it out with the rim of a spent round.Still that ornery spring pops out..Ah well smalll price to pay.Overall great little gun.

6. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I use a dental pick to hook under the pin while pressing down on either side. Just a little pull of the pick gets a very positive pop of the pin.

7. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Some good ideas on holding the slide open while dissassembling. I have been using the old fashion method of just holding the slide open with my hand the way I do on my larger pistols. Live and learn, die and forget it all.