Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I might be in the same boat as some of the other guys. Went to the range today and tried to zero at 100 and was getting 6moa. No jams though. But I noticed my unfired ammo still in the mag was very dirty. Full of sot and black powder. I was shooting suppressed FYI. Griffen Optimus. That normal? Gas setting was at +1 over factory. I get maybe a poi shift from the suppressor and possibly a lot of blow back but it should still be grouped consistent. It was all over the place.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Have you dialed the gas down to find the least operational setting? You have 15 clicks to work with. It sounds to me you are still over gassed. What do your necks look like? Are they dented? If they are, you should be able to close that gas some more.
That's what I think, any way.

Reactions: MarkCO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From all the way closed it's 3 clicks. What's factory? I kinda turned it all the way closed and then dialed it open until the bolt would cycle. Brass are fine no dents just dirty

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
From "closed" i assume you mean full CCW form shooter POV.
Most folks call it closed because the knob closes onto the valve like a cap.
Then yes, five clicks from closed is the typical operating range.
Mine started clearing .223 at 6.
It could probably have cleared XM855 at 7-8 but I wasn't trying that.
I found 14 to full CW would FTE everything. I worked the ladder from full CW until I found what cleared. But I didn't try full CCW.
Are you saying that the bolt didn't cycle at full "closed" or full CCW?
That is very interesting. Could that be the secret manual operation position I was hoping to find? The logic I was following is that full CCW would be the most gas setting. I didn't need to go there so I didn't.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Ill say it...or bad technique
Scotticus, does your fired brass look like this?
Cylinder Ammunition Metal

I am going to go out on a limb and say that these came out of a gun with a 'foxtrot-uniform' chamber. This is not normal.
In my oHpinion, there is no way that this gun can be accurate because of a serious error in the headspace/neck/throat area of the chamber.
It's not the gas setting. The bullet has already left the barrel before any part of the gas system even moves.
It's not bad technique.
It's not bad breathing:rolleyes:.
The barrel is bad.
No amount of gas-tweaking, or counting your breaths, or bolting the gun to a table will change that.
Rdbsicu, do your fired-cases look like these?

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Didnt mean to ruffle your primers . Didn't read all the posts before shooting off.
I have to agree you got blow by and it is
likely affecting accuracy.
I definitely don't have dirty ammo.
Spent cases next to unfired:
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Metal

I don't want to rub it in, but i took swabs with alcohol and wiped the necks similarly of five shells fired and five un-fired. The fired swab is on the left:
Ear

But look at my issues, before the piston broke loose:
Ammunition Bullet Brass Gun accessory Metal

The FTE and one of the FTFs came out together!

Full Disclosure:
I don't know if it would have been the reason for my clean brass, but I might as well say what I did do from the beginning.
When I was shooting my first shots, I started under gassed, working my way up to the 14th click CCW till I started cycling. Before 14, it chewed up everything or didn't eject. Between the failures, I field stripped and cleaned the barrel and chamber with with brass bristle .22 bore brush and a AR chamber cleaning brush spinning in a cordless drill with plenty of Slip 2000-725 followed by patches.
So, no, we didn't get dirty that day.
Day two. I shot about 30 without the cleaning routine and brass came out spanky clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.