Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New gun, j7xxx serial, chrome, cleaned, greased, moved the slide back and forth over 200 times before first round. No Fluff and Buff yet.
The 29th round (Winchester FMJ from Walmart) FTE but that could have been me. On the 69 round, I noticed a crack on the slide. I was not happy but I am not giving up. Already called and I am sending it in. I was amazed at how accurate and how well overall the gun performed. It will definately be my carry gun when I get it back and broke in. This is a great forum. Thanks for having it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is on the top of the slide, ahead of the ejection port. Someone had posted a great picture of a cracked slide on here not too long ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome, JT.

ANY failure with a handgun is a disappointment, but I hear that the Kel-Tec folks are really good about making it right. Thankfully, I have never had to use their excellent warrenty service. I hope it is a quick fix for you.

Again, welcome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the picture Nu-agin-shooter. Mine is about half as long and not quite as wide but noticable even with my poor eyes. I didn't dare shoot it like that and will be sending it in tomorrow.
Kel-Tec was (just like you guys said) great to deal with.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
It's the first I have heard of on a P3AT. But, others have posted with interior slide photos showing obvious manufacturing dammage/errors that appear to occurr on a one by one basis. My guess is that this is what happened in this case - not that their manufacturing process is suddenly and continually producing bad slides now. Just an ASSumption - my "most likely" scenario based on what I have seen posted here. Would have been nice to get an interior slide photo :-/

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
rjhauser said:
sorry JT, it would appear that you over used it...

69 rounds, this is just silly.

go ahead, flame on and call me a troll....i am wearing my nomex underwear today.

this is just getting silly.....

I got that crisp $100 bill on "a bad batch of 50 slides..." explanation coming from KT...

-Scott

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
J.T. said:
Thanks for the picture Nu-agin-shooter. Mine is about half as long and not quite as wide but noticable even with my poor eyes. I didn't dare shoot it like that and will be sending it in tomorrow.
Kel-Tec was (just like you guys said) great to deal with.
Welcome to KTOG! Tomorrow, call KT Service, (1-800-515-9983)

Tell them about the crack and request a call tag. UPS will come and get it no charge to you, and it will go back overnight.

Packer.

·
Registered
996 Posts
rjhauser said:
sorry JT, it would appear that you over used it...

69 rounds, this is just silly.

go ahead, flame on and call me a troll....i am wearing my nomex underwear today.

this is just getting silly.....
I can't tell if your being serious are sarcastic?

If you are being serious, then I'd have to say that I respectfully disagree with you. :p

1 cracked slide does not mean the sky is falling. A hairline fracture invisible to the naked eye can easily slip past Kel-tecs famous quality control.

Next thing you know, people are gonna start whining that Kel-tec should X-ray their slides before they ship them.

I got news for you Kel-tec bashers! Quit being a cheap-skate and fork over the money to buy something better. That way you can feel more justified when you whine about your 500 dollar gun .

Rant off...

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Jason, it is not so much an issue that the slides need to be x-rayd or checked better.

KT obviously knows they have a problem. Stop with the "it was only 50 slides" and "it was only 2 shifts" excuses and fess up.

Just say they had a questionable process and it has been rectified.

If they fess up this really all goes away.

People understand that. They do not understand the inconsistincies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TFG said:
I got news for you Kel-tec bashers! Quit being a cheap-skate and fork over the money to buy something better. That way you can feel more justified when you whine about your 500 dollar gun .

Rant off...
Respectfully disagree, There is no reason to say, well I only paid $250 for a gun and therefore should expect it to have problems.

I would love to hear the logic behind that. The cost of manufacture isn't going to vary significantly from similar weapons. You can't tell me it cost more to make a P3AT than say a Bersa 380 for example.

There are apparently guns that don't have the problems so Kel-Tec is capable of building them.

There is no excuse for poor quality and there is absolutely no reason someone should send a slide back and get a bad one. It would take an extra 20 seconds to inspect the slide before sending it out. That in my view is either supremely lazy or deceitful.

I would also add that there probably isn't a person here who wouldn't pay an extra 50-100 bucks if it meant a better quality product.

So defend Kel-Tec all you want I think it is a cool little gun and I am happy I bought it but as good as their customer service is they have to be. I agree with whoever said admit you have an issue and fix it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
meathook said:
...I only paid $250 for a gun ...

...The cost of manufacture isn't going to vary significantly from similar weapons.  ...
7 rounds of .380
barely 8 oz.
barely 3/4 inch thick
3.5 inches high
barely 5 inches long

Who makes a simailar weapon and how much does it cost?

Mitch.... pulling out 3 crispy $100 dollar bills... waiting for the reply so I can go get me one.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
meathook said:
Respectfully disagree, There is no reason to say, well I only paid $250 for a gun and  therefore should expect it to have problems.  

I would love to hear the logic behind that.   The cost of manufacture isn't going to vary significantly from similar weapons.  You can't tell me it cost more to make a P3AT than say a Bersa 380 for example.

There are apparently guns that don't have the problems so Kel-Tec is capable of building them.

There is no excuse for poor quality and there is absolutely no reason someone should send a slide back and get a bad one.  It would take an extra 20 seconds to inspect the slide before sending it out.  That in my view is either supremely lazy or deceitful.

I would also add that there probably isn't a person here who wouldn't pay an extra 50-100 bucks if it meant a better quality product.  

So defend Kel-Tec all you want I think it is a cool little gun and I am happy I bought it but as good as their customer service is they have to be.  I agree with whoever said admit you have an issue and fix it.
 Sigh! This is a Kel-Tec firearms ENTHUSIAST community. We enjoy using these special weapons.  We are PRAGMATISTS here. We recognize that perfection is unobtainable in the real world--whether in Presidents or firearms.

We LOVE the features of KT firearms and accept the warts to get the benefits. The MAIN PURPOSE of this board is to help those who have problems with their KT weapons.

It's not EVERY ONE'S cup of tea though. There are OTHER boards where slandering the company is acceptable. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

If you have problems with your KT gun, feel free to post them here. But any business advice or complaints about the company should be sent to Kel-Tec Customer Service--Last I checked, THIS board is not that.

If anyone MUST vent their anger about the company or its manufacturing policies, please visit the KTOG complaint department. It's in a back room, just down the hall. Kindly leave your criticisms and suggestions there:

Thanks,

Packer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.