61 yr. old newbie joining the ranks

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by whitetruckbob, Jan 11, 2020.

1. RJR

RJR Member

Jul 16, 2020
    64 here and just bought a 9mm Sub-2000 this week. You're only as old as your newest toys.

Saltlick, Dubar, iamscottasus and 2 others like this.
  2. tex45acp

tex45acp Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2004
    South Central Texas
    I've had mine at the range several time when there have been other shooters as well. It has generated a lot of interest, especially when I pull it out of the case and lock it open from the folded position. Several people have shot it and I know at least a couple who actually invested in them, when they could find them. Great little guns. I went ahead and outfitted mine with the M*Carbo trigger set and wow what a difference that made in shootability.

Saltlick and iamscottasus like this.

3. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    I am a new 2000 owner. I have a question. Why the comment about mods?

4. Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    The S2K is a no-frills weapon, fully functional, but not "polished". Many enthusiasts modify the weapon (largely MCARBO parts) to improve it or make it their own. Nothing wrong with leaving it stock. Shoot yours and decide. The rabbit hole can be kinda deep. ;)

Saltlick likes this.
  5. Tiger1972

Tiger1972 Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Follow-up to my Januarry 16, 2020 post. Added the Asgar Flat Trigger with it's adjustable set screws, the McCarbo Steel feed Ramp, Heavy single Bolt release, Windom Weaponry Tall Front Sight Post, and a modified Rear Peep Sight. Many rounds , IDPA Match, and always a smile when I am Done.

6. Gort

Gort Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Thanks for the response. I will definitely be adding mods. I mistook your comment. I thought you were inferring that it was in need of mods to make it work. My bad. Again thanks for your response. I have the multi mag setup. Been looking how to start spending on mods lol. Want to make it mine.

Steve Saunders likes this.
  7. Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I suggest you do all your internal mods at one time. The S2K is no fun to crack open and put back together, IMHO. Beware the safety detent and spring... I think I still have one in orbit. The black Locktite for the castle nut is expensive (relatively). Some don't worry about using it and install a single point sling adapter behind it to prevent it from moving off... but I believe there are a couple of variations of the nut, so check yours before assuming the solution would work for you. I went the black locktite route on mine, but it still bugs me to spend $10 on a small tube of the stuff. There may be other solutions these days. I haven't shot mine in over a year and with the ammo shortage, who knows when I'll take it out to play.

8. Dubar

Dubar Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2018
    I would buy extra mags and hold off on the eye candy for several trips to the range. I have the Beretta 92 version and have a lot of mags to choose from, plus they'll fit in my 92FS!!!

Of all the parts, I would replace the polymer feed ramp if nothing else. Never heard of a problem but it simply makes sense to have one made of metal. Also add something to the charging handle, I used clear pvc tubing. The one that came on the gun was giving my finger a fit until I made it a bigger diameter with the tubing.

But...you have to take it apart to replace the feed ramp, so if you have the $$$ you might as well get the trigger package upgrade from MCarbo too.

9. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I second the "no fun to reassemble" words.

Take it to the range and shoot it a bunch of times first. Then figure out what needs to be done and do all of the installations at once.

Why do I suggest shooting it a bunch? My trigger was pretty bad out of the box, but I shot a match with it and afterward the trigger had gotten much better. Unbelievably so IMO. But I had the MCarbo parts on hand so I installed them. I probably could have saved the $. Now I'm not writing that your trigger parts will reflect my experience, but other parts might.