Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be reading that some people (including me) run into a 50 round limit before needing to clean. If I don't, I get FTF's or the slide needs a nudge. I know it's only the first 7 that count, but it's a pain to have to clean it at the range and I've dropped the ejector twice and had to find it in the sand. :-/
I did the F&B when I got my 2G.
My question is where does it get so dirty that it gets too tight. Or is there just too much drag? I'd like to do a little more sanding if I knew where. ???

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
What ammo are you using??? Is your P3AT broken in yet?? How many rounds through it??

After they are broken in, and if you are using good ammo, then there should be no reason it should malfunction after 50 rounds.

Here is my recent test: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1158930323;start=5#5 The only thing I did prior to putting the 200 rounds through it, was run an oily patch over the barrel, slide, frame etc. I only did this because it had been about a month since I had cleaned it and everything seemed a little dry.

My gun has around 800+ rounds through it. I had many problems when I first got it. FTF's, FTE's, broken hammer spring. I stuck with it and after a rampectomy, new hammer spring, and new extractor from KT, my gun has no problems of any kind, even after 200 rounds, without stopping even once to clean it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happened on different types of ammo. Within that first 50 rounds it eats anything I've put in it. It may not be broken in yet (200 rounds), but that's part of the rationale of the F&B--so it doesn't take so long. I'm not the only one this happens to, so I was wondering if anyone noticed what wears or needs wearing down for this not to happen. The problem only happens after 50 rounds or so and doesn't seem to be with getting the bullet into position, but with getting the slide closed. I'll shoot and then go to shoot the next one and notice that the slide is still partially open. Do you think I just need to do a little more sanding of the rail or what?
Maybe I just need to quit whining and shoot it more. ;D (no +1's please ;D)

G

·
adamsky +1 on that, I have always felt that these kt mini's should go way beyond 50 rounds before cleaning. AND THEY WILL TO. Some don't for reason I have no idea but the good ones in good running order will do it very easily. IMO If you are having problems around the 50 round mark then there is still something within your weapon that is not right. Slide ruff slide binding (and u not knowing it) I had one 380 kt that I had to tap the slide alot to feed the first round in, It finally after many rounds cleared itself of that problem. It was a problem that I could never really trace to one area either, but where ever the bind was, it eventualy took care of itself. Now I do clean my 24/7 weapon after every shooing 50 rounds or 200 rounds. I want a clean carry peace for sure :eek:

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
IMHO: It isn't the dirt so much as it is the lube you are using.

The powder fouling drys up the lube, or it gets flung off, and friction increases to the point the gun stops working.

If nothing else, take a can or small bottle of RemOil with you and give the slide rails & hammer interface a squirt when you start having problems.

Should be good to go another 50 or more with every oil change!

rcmodel

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Bass Player, why not take a few additional P-3ATs. Rather than cleaning at the range and risking loss of parts, just change pistols.

Wilson – who’s always there with the simple solution :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wilson said:
Bass Player, why not take a few additional P-3ATs. Rather than cleaning at the range and risking loss of parts, just change pistols.

Wilson – who’s always there with the simple solution :)
Wilson - I do love your solution!

Bassplayer: even with the fluff and buff KT service told me that about 200 rounds is still needed.

BTW: I'm coming up to Aliq. next week - I'll PM you to see if we can get out!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
rcmodel said:
If nothing else, take a can or small bottle of RemOil with you and give the slide rails & hammer interface a squirt when you start having problems.

Should be good to go another 50 or more with every oil change!
I keep a small aerosol can of Rem oil in my range bag for just such occassions. 8)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help.
I grease the slide with Slick50 grease and sometimes add a drop or two of oil to thin it a bit, sometimes I don't. I'll try the RemOil trick and keep on shootin'.

Wilson, I need some of those $100 deals you get. When are you going to go into business and start selling some of your bargains? ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I thought he sold you the Slick 50. ;D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Bass Player said:
Wilson, I need some of those $100 deals you get. When are you going to go into business and start selling some of your bargains?
SELL! I would never sell my children.

Wilson – who’s in need of another P-3AT project pistol as his PF-9 is vacationing :-/

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been using some grease on my slide rails, and I'm able to put 150 rounds through it without cleaning it.

One of my other hobbies is amateur astronomy. The question often comes up as to the rebuilding of the telescope mount head that contains gears and such. These are mass produced in China, and come with a thick glue like grease, so people like me will take them apart, clean the grease out, F&B the innards, and put it back together. The question though is what grease to use during reassembly? As luck would have it, on one of the astro sites that I frequent, there is a retired petroleum engineer who designed lubricants for industry use. He pretty much knows everything about them. Anyhow, for his money, he feels that a product called SuperLube is the best all around grease where a specialty formulation isn't needed. It has a very wide temperature range, doesn't run, and doesn't have the not so desirable (IIRC) "lithium soap" found in most white lithium greases. It's also sold under the house brand at Radio Shack as Houshold Gel Lube.

Anyhow, Ive used it on my telescope mounts with great success (ie MI winter at temps near zero, and the mount stays smooth as silk). I've also been using it on my 3AT slide rails, and it's been working out well. As with any grease, a little goes a long way. I usually apply a few "dots" of it with a toothpick in the slide groove, and then let the gun move it around by cycling the slide.

One other thing that I do is to oil the spots where I see any finish wear. I assume that the wear is caused by metal on metal contact, so I put some oil there to ease the friction.

Tim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tim for the expert's advice.  I found superlube here:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=superlube&page=GRID&history=&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=%28superlube%29&match_type=

The spray cans looks familiar, but I don't remember where I've seen it.  Probably Walmart or Kmart.
They have 3 oz. "anticorrosive gel" for $6.44 + s&h.  
"Super Lube Anti-Corrosive Gel has superior synthetic dielectric compound specifically formulated to provide better protection than typical grease. It has excellent resistance to sal t w a t er and most detergents. Contains PTFE, provides improved anti-wear properties, is waterproof, not washed away by acids or alkalis, and resists temperatures to 750 degrees F. The SYNCOLON-TM (PTFE) particles in Super Lube's unique patented formula are held in constant suspension ensuring they will always be evenly applied to the lubricated surface as needed. "

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They also have at that website:
The Super Lube Synthetic Sportsman's Kit contains one precision oiler and 1/2 oz grease tube, applicators and directions for proper lubrication of fishing reels, guns, and marine equipment. Protects against friction, wear, rust, and corrosion.
$8.36 / kt for 1 kt and more

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
sal d i c k er
sal a s s er
sal s p o o n er

Okay, I give up. I've been trying to think of a cuss word that fit in between sal and er that the bad word nanny objected to? What was that supposed to say?

Packer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Packer, I didn't notice that the nanny had spanked me. :eek: I fixed my previous post (the word salt water by adding spaces). I had to do the same for s p o o n. I didn't know what was happening with that. I finally figured out that the nanny was awake. ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.