Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup guys...

So, here I am on day three of Kel-tec ownership, and I was trying to find out a way to mount a red dot. It seems that the popular approach is to buy the quad rail from KT, but I am a dedicated penny pincher, so spending $100 for a $300 carbine was just not appealing to me.

Anyway, I went ahead and got a magpul 7-slot blank rail, which cost a whopping $5.57. After that, it was as simple as carefully drilling through my fore end, then installing the rail with an allen wrench.

This of course had a drawback, I was no longer able to get a positive "click" when I folded the rifle up. The solution? A slightly larger drill bit. All I had to do was open up a little bit of the polymer front sight base so that the collapse pin could click in nicely, making it possible to securely fold the carbine.

Here are some pics from a few different angles... All I need now is a quick-detach red dot and I'm in business! (I did put a open style dot sight on to make sure I didn't install the rail off center, it was a too little high for a good co-witness, but the dot lined up pretty nice with the sights windage wise so it seems good to go).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
Nice. You might want to peruse the Scope Mount Plans thread stickied above. There is an $8 rail you can put on there that will still allow full fold without the dot on it. Page 1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. You might want to peruse the Scope Mount Plans thread stickied above. There is an $8 rail you can put on there that will still allow full fold without the dot on it. Page 1.
Thanks for the tip... I guess this post probable belonged in there. Whoops!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts