Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

5.56 RDB Suppressability

8K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  signkutter 
#1 ·
Given that the RDB has not currently announced any easily suppressible calibers (22 LR, 9MM or 300 BLK) I am trying to wrap my head around how suppressible the 5.56 version would be.

Looking at various forums it looks like hand loading would be essential for making halfway affordable subsonic 5.56 using (relatively) heavy bullets and pistol powders. It also looks like making subsonic 5.56 is relatively easy, making subsonic 5.56 capable of cycling a semi-automatic action (at least an AR-15) is much more challenging.

-Does the RDB have the twist rate to stabilize the 60+ grn 5.56 rounds which appear to be the most popular choice for subsonic?
-Would the adjustable gas on the RDB combined with a suppressor provide enough gas flow to reliably cycle the action with some margin of error?
-Not specific to the RDB but does anyone know how gentle the RDB is on cases? I assume the case life of subsonic 5.56 is probably very high unless the gun beats it up, and the downward ejection is probably great for brass collection.

The best answer would be direct from someone who owns one, a suppressor, and representative ammo, but knowledgeable best-guesses are also welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Subsonic 5.56 would likely not cycle correctly. there is probably not enough gas. though maybe if it is suppressed it would work.

300BLK conversion is considered "coming soon" for the RDB. it was in the catalog that was handed out at the latest SHOT show, but I don't think many people noticed it. This is your best bet for a quiet RDB as it will function with subsonics reliably. Expect 3rd or 4th quarter 2016 for this though. this conversion would be a barrel assembly that can easily be swapped out during field strip.

#3 ·
Subsonic 5.56 would likely not cycle correctly. there is probably not enough gas. though maybe if it is suppressed it would work.

300BLK conversion is considered "coming soon" for the RDB. it was in the catalog that was handed out at the latest SHOT show, but I don't think many people noticed it. This is your best bet for a quiet RDB as it will function with subsonics reliably. Expect 3rd or 4th quarter 2016 for this though. this conversion would be a barrel assembly that can easily be swapped out during field strip.
Bless you sir, you just sold an RDB as soon as I can find a 20" for less then 200 above MSRP. On that note, do you have any idea when the 20" 5.56 will start to become available? I've only seen a handful of 17" on gunbroker to date.

#4 ·
I have both the RDB and RFB. The RDB is much quieter than the RFB, using the SilencerCo Omega with the 762 anchor brake end cap. From the shooters position (outdoors), I would say that the RDB is hearing safe, whereas the RFB is not even close.

My typical loads:
223: 55grain Hornady FMJ-BT and 24.7 grains of H335
308: 150 Grain Hornady FMJ-BT 41 grains of H335

#14 ·
Ok. Do you shoot suppressed? What do you recommend?
I do shoot suppressed...I have also built multiple AR 15 rifles SBR and 16" to shoot suppressed ( always includes adding adjustable gasblocks).

When adjusting for suppressed firing, adjust the gas block by firing 1 round and reducing the gass by 1 click until the rifle does not cycle anymore...add one or two more clicks back and your weapon should be adjusted for the extra pressure. Now you have less abuse to your weapon and less recoil to your rifle

#15 ·
. Now you have less abuse to your weapon and less recoil to your rifle
Just to add to this, although I don't use a can, yet, while I was experimenting with the gas settings, shooting at the "least gas" setting, the action didn't fully cycle, but I found the recoil so mild it was very pleasant.

It wasn't until I got the action fully reciprocating that I started feeling the impact of the moving masses which was easily double that of the recoil.
Enough to make keeping my scope sight picture difficult, and on a big eyebox scope with a 5-7" eye relief. She's a kicker.

The kewel thing for cansters is, with the "normal" gas settings being in the far end of the "most gas" range (15-20), you have 2/3 of the available range to dial in with (1-15).

#16 ·
Just to add to this, although I don't use a can, yet, while I was experimenting with the gas settings, shooting at the "least gas" setting, the action didn't fully cycle, but I found the recoil so mild it was very pleasant.

It wasn't until I got the action fully reciprocating that I started feeling the impact of the moving masses which was easily double that of the recoil.
Enough to make keeping my scope sight picture difficult, and on a big eyebox scope with a 5-7" eye relief. She's a kicker.

The kewel thing for cansters is, with the "normal" gas settings being in the far end of the "most gas" range (15-20), you have 2/3 of the available range to dial in with (1-15).
For a bull pup I think you will find that the RDB has the least recoil of them all thanks in great part to the extra long cycle action. Noticeably less kick than an AUG or a Tavor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.