4th Generation Blackdog Mags-Range Report

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by buzzsaw, Jul 20, 2011.

1. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    As I mentioned in the 3rd Gen thread, I got the four 4th generation Blackdog magazines in on Monday, and took them to the range, loaded up with Blazer ammo. The mags are listed as 26 round, but I could only get 25 in without denting cases. Some break in may be required...

Fit in SU/PLR-22 is very nice, and also with my Nordic Components AR-22 upper. There is actually some space between the respective ejectors and the top of the feed lips. I had concluded that this might have been the cause of the function problems I had with the 3rd Gen mags and two Nordic Components AR uppers. In the guns I tried them in, the spent cases look like they will clear the mag feed lips and actually strike the ejector. Insertion is very easy, as there is a ramp for the mag catch. When the follower is not holding the bolt, they actually drop free, even from the Kel Tecs, which typically have tight mag wells.

Performance in both my SU-22 and PLR-22 was flawless. I really don't know what else to say.:) Likewise, performance in the AR I tried was flawless as well.

The feed lips on mine are the cast stainless steel. They will also be available with glass-filled nylon feed lips. The two types of feed lips are interchangeable. Both of these materials are more resistant to heat and chemical attack than is polycarbonate. The bodies on mine (smoke-colored) are polycarbonate. The black magazines supposedly have glass-filled nylon bodies.

The only cons I see in these are that they don't hold 26 rounds (big deal, they hold 25, which is half a box) and they don't have the follower pull down like the third gen mags. On the other hand, this lack of a pull down means there are fewer openings for dirt and debris to enter. They lack the notch at the middle of the feed lips and this makes them marginally more difficult to load than the 2nd gen.

The magazines, from left to right: 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen and two 4th Gen mags, along with my SU-22, and the grip of the PLR-22.[​IMG]
    Clockwise from bottom left: 3rd Gen, 2nd Gen, 4th Gen
    [​IMG]
    View of the mag catch "ramp" of the 4th Gen mag
    [​IMG]
    Same view of 2nd Gen mag showing lack of ramp
    [​IMG]

I am pleased with these magazines and am really happy that they work in all the guns I've tried them in. These are, in my mind, a worthy successor to the 2nd Gen mags. Now they need to come out with a drum tower compatible with these feed lips.

buzzsaw

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. The images were also a great benefit.

I have a bunch of Black Dog mags, but the Gen II, even with their issues, are the only ones that I consider usable. I was disappointed with the Gen III mags I bought, but I have a pair of them that okriii worked on, and despite his comment that he didn't do much, there were several minor modifications. I was going to test them today but didn't make it to the range. I'll be testing them in my SU-22 tomorrow, and I'll post my impressions, or report back to okriii and let him post his mods and my range report.

It looks like I'll be purchasing the Gen IV mags when they're available in black glass filled nylon. I'll keep reading to see whether I want the stainless or the glass filled nylon feed lips but I'm leaning toward the stainless. I love the idea of replaceable feed lips.

Before I buy ANY more Black Dog mags, I'll wait until someone else tests the design. I've done my share of beta testing Black Dog mag kits, and paid a lot of my money for the privilege, with little to show for it.

3. buzzsaw

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    I'm beginning to feel lucky that my Gen III mags work in my Kel Tecs. Everybody else seems to be having problems. ::)

buzzsaw

4. buzzsaw

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    My pleasure.

I'll definitely pick up some of the black nylon Gen IV's as well. They may be a durable and cost-effective alternative to the aluminum ones. The stainless feed lips should be practically indestructible. The nylon ones might be useful if you have a gun that needs them modified for some reason.

I picked up some steel Ciener mags. They work in the AR-22, but will not seat in the Kel-Tecs. The Kel Tecs have a frame crosspiece right behind the feed lips, and there is a weld on the Cieners that hits it. I would have to cut a slot across the top of the Ciener mag to accommodate the crosspiece. This same crosspiece keeps the Gen III mag followers from coming up high enough to catch the Kel Tec bolt when the mag is empty. There is a tab that is part of the follower that sticks up behind the feed lips when the mag is empty and it collides with the crosspiece. It looks like it might be there to operate a bolt catch on some other gun or conversion kit.

I'll also keep an eye out for what you and okriii come up with. I would like to get the Gen III's I have to work with all my guns.

buzzsaw