45 gr FTX Critical Defense from the CMR

Discussion in 'CMR-30' started by H2OMAN, Jun 22, 2016.

1. H2OMAN

H2OMAN New Member

May 5, 2016
    N.E. Georgia
    I contacted Tech support at Hornady to get an idea of what to expect from their 22 WMR
    45 gr FTX Critical Defense ammo when fired from the CMR... I share the response with you.

[​IMG]

2. EB1911

EB1911 Member

Apr 4, 2016
    NE, GA
    Did you pick that up at Clyde's? They had some the other day, I have so much V-Max I passed on it as it was almost $17 a box.

3. H2OMAN

H2OMAN New Member

May 5, 2016
    N.E. Georgia
    I found some online... it's nice to see supplies building.

4. Moparman485

Moparman485 New Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Hey all!
    I got lucky and sportsmans guide had this in stock with no limits. Needless to say, i bought all i could afford haha. hoping it will run good and perform well in my CMR and PMR. Will post results once I have them. I plan on a chrony comparison too if it performs well enough to justify it.

5. CMR30UNICORN

CMR30UNICORN New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    What's 0.0 @ 100yds? Bulleyes?

6. H2OMAN

H2OMAN New Member

May 5, 2016
    N.E. Georgia
    I picked up a small quantity for use in my CMR, but I'm going to sit on it until after I've read your results... what barrel does your PMR have in it?, mine has the 5" threaded barrel.

7. jonnin

jonnin Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Parabolic drop. If you shoot up a little, it will come back down and cross the original muzzle line at some point. Here, that is at 100 yards exactly.

Or more precisely, this gun was probably zeroed in at 100 yards, making it high at 25 and 50, and low at 150, but dead on at 100, because the scope settings make you shoot up just a tiny bit so that time it gets to 100 yards, its right back where it was from gravity. This is mostly just velocity. All objects fall at nearly the same rate, barring a microscopic bit of variation in air resistance (for bullets). The faster a bullet moves, the less *time* it has in the air at a given distance for gravity to have affected it. That is all you are seeing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Moparman485

Moparman485 New Member

Jun 25, 2016
    My PMR has the second gen (non fluted) non threads factory barrel. Hope to hit the range tomorrow if weather allows. Most likely will be the trip after that where I can chrony (mainly want to function test and loosely accuracy test before going into deeper).

9. H2OMAN

H2OMAN New Member

May 5, 2016
    N.E. Georgia
    I don't know if it makes any difference, but the calculations Hornady came up with are for me using an EOTech 1 MOA red dot without magnification.

10. jonboy77

jonboy77 Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Any range updates on this ammo?

11. Toney56

Toney56 New Member

Feb 7, 2016
    East Texas
    I've been working out of town for a few months and stumbled upon 10 boxes of this ammo for $13.99 each. Needless to say I left the store with all ten boxes and will let you know how it performs in both my cmr and pmr in a few weeks when I return home.

12. jonboy77

jonboy77 Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I would like to know how well it groups and if your using a scope how's it perform at 100 yds

13. H2OMAN

H2OMAN New Member

May 5, 2016
    N.E. Georgia
    I can't give a field report yet, but cooler weather in the next month or so will change that.