40% Failure to Eject

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by David_the_Gnome, Dec 20, 2007.

1. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I tried to break in my new P3-AT this morning and had a FTE on 20 of 50 rounds. You could see on the cases where the ejector bit right through the rim so I don't believe it's a fault of the ejector. Is this a problem of the chamber being too rough or small? Some of the cases, once expanded, were quite difficult to remove. I'm debating between doing the fluff and buff myself or sending it to Kel-Tec for them to do. I have other guns so being without it for a few weeks wouldn't hurt me.

On a seperate note, man is my trigger finger sore! In recoil the trigger guard would bang the bottom of my finger on every shot. The only way I could find to shoot where this wouldn't hurt was to use the second knuckle instead of the pad of my finger. I know this isn't a range gun so this doesn't alarm me but it was rather shocking on that first magazine.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you recall, did it look like the spent round rim got caught on the mouth of the round in the chamber. When the barrel tilts to unlock from the slide, there needs to be clearance in the top of the chamber so it desn't force spent round down so hard.

That was a problem with chambers a year or so ago, but the factory added the clearance.

the chamber being rough rould also be a problem. be care full when polishing the chamber. do not smooth down the lip between chamber and barrel where the case headspaces on.

The opening of the chamber may be explained by those that did it, but I would have the factroy do it

3. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    The F&B should probably be SOP on any new Kel-Tec. It's pretty easy to do and you don't need to be a gunsmith. Polishing all the parts results in a noticeably smoother action. I F&B'd all 3 of mine and they have been extremely reliable. I have had 2 instances of hammer spring breakage but that's not F&B related. Other than those 2 failures and admittedly they rendered the guns useless, all 3 have been perfect.

4. I had similar problems with failures Gnome.

Now, every KT I have, and a few of my friends KT's, looked like this before they are ever shot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No.. the penny was not inside a new KT... but the trash was!

While sending the gun home may get the ramp polished and some tweaking done, I don't think KT will do a fluff and buff.

I lot of people on this board have been able to take care of ejection/extraction problems by making sure the extractor spring is tight and by doing the fluff and buff with extra attention to the ramp, chamber throat, and breech face.

Do seprate ktog searches on.... fluff and buff... feed ramp.... polish.

5. markboss

markboss New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    What brand of ammo???

6. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
  7. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    [​IMG]

Check your slide opposite the extractor to make sure it doesn't have a machined area like the one by the red arrow. If it does that is your problem. The shelf should be flat all the way down to the bottom.

8. guru2sum

guru2sum Active Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    Mine (made about June) needed a new extractor, spring and screw.  The new ones looked just like the originals, but the difference was night and day.  My empty shells would only come out about half way.  The screw was tight and nearly impossible to remove.  So if the other advice doesn't work, call K-T service and ask for the parts.

G2S

9. islw2863

islw2863 New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    I had FTExtract problems with my new P3AT and found several things that helped incrementally reduce them and the last thing has apparently fixed the problem completely.

Fluff and buff, general helped

Generous lubrication helped

Polishing chamber to a glass smooth SHINE seems to have eliminated problem.

The polishing only took a couple minutes with a dremel, rouge, and felt wheel

Now the only problem I have with the P3 is my fat fingers. They push the mag release button when I use a two hand grip. Am working on that one.

Happy tinkering!

10. If you can get the metal mag catch, install it and sand the catch until almost flush with grip.

If you can't get the metal catch, just trim the factory catch down a bit.

One of the above two will help with dropped mags.