Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a quick 1-target visit to the indoor range with Gertie. After all the years of feeling pretty good about myself with revolvers, this little monster is very humbling to shoot. The advice I've gotten helps a lot, though!

Gertie is very jumpy in the hands. I've discovered, oddly enough, especially since I got the finger extension, that I have better control strong- hand than two-handed. The secret is, as I was told, to try to "reach" the target before firing, so as to lock the arm and wrist better. Fingertip helps with the loooong trigger pull, too. I still haven't worked out where the trigger break lives, which adds a bit of a flinch problem.

Also, my vision has definitely deteriorated since I was a girl, and in the goggles I'm having trouble making out the tiny front sight. I'm trying different color combinations, and may settle on green rear -- flourescent orange front.

At seven yards, I fired fifty rounds and had 43 hits, only four of which were 10s. Still firing low and to the right, so the BG's tummy and left kidney were chewed up pretty well. There were three hits in the heart area -- with my Taurus WMR it would have been more like forty 10s. But that weapon weighs all of 28 ounces...

There was one failure to feed, which happened right after I hit the magazine button by accident and had to re-seat the magazine. I haven't shined Gertie's feed ramp yet, so I don't know if that was a factor -- I'm sure I may have "limpwristed" it as well.

Oh! And, wouldn't you know, I had my first experience of a hot shell -- umm --"down the front." So that's why other women are wearing trucker hats! I had to do a little dance to shake the brass out, which greatly amused a lady watching through the glass from the showroom -- fortunately her husband was busy with the salesman. :-[

Gertie carries so well that I think I will persist in practicing with her. While there, I asked the salesman to show me a Glock 26, and, yes, it's small, but not small enough for my daily carry, I think. I know that its heaviness (compared to the Kel-Tec) would lend accuracy, and the 10+1 and 9mm caliber are in its favor, but I'm thinking a .380 at, say, five feet, which is a woman's usual defensive distance, should be able to do what I'd want it to be able to do...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Just remember that if something happens at five feet you need to already have your hand on your gun and be prepared to move as you draw and shoot. At that range there is a very high probability the BG will make physical contact with you before you can present your gun. Plan on it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's is a good "get off of my back gun"..thats all. I really like mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.