Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All right another 3D printed design. Finally moved from TinkerCad to Fusion 360, so much more powerful!

So the idea is to design a magazine holder (9mm Glock) that could be attached to SUB 2000. I want the holder to function as a standard magazine well that has a magazine release to lock/release the magazine. The magazine holder can be attached to M-LOK (pending verification) or stock (in progress).

Here is the basic magazine holder (M-LOK mounting option) and magazine release design:

How they fit together and the release works:

3D printed holder (with M-LOK attachment) and release. I designed the holder so that it does not need any support to print. The magazine release does need support but the support is pretty easy to remove. Note I did use the spring from a gel pen ($10 a dozen from Costco) to make the release functional:

Magazine holder and the release fully assembled. Putting a spring in can be a little bit challenging, since the spring chamber was designed in the way that I do not want it to easily fall off. But with tweezers and some patience this can be done. The magazine release works really nice, I almost cannot believe it functions that well.

And this is how it looks on a SUB 2000 factory forend. This is a mock set up as I am still waiting for mounting screws from Amazon. Also I do not use factory forend, I have a red lion forend which requires a different mounting design.

The magazine locks securely in the holder. To remove the magazine use the index finger to depress the release button and pull with thumb and middle finger.

I am working on a mounting option that mounts the magazine holder on the factory stock. The beauty of 3D printing is that once the functional unit (magazine holder and release) is done you can put it to whatever place by designing a proper mounting option and fuse the two designs in CAD software and quickly print out. Reversing the direction (left/right hand) is easy, too: do a mirror in CAD software and print in a few hours and you are all good

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just got my 1st complete Glock mag printed. Have to clean it up and throw in a spring, and it's off to the range this afternoon.
That's really cool! I just started the printing, no intention to use it in any foreseeable future but it is so cool I have to give it a try.

Also wonder how legislators would handle this kind of thing. In lots of states buying/owning high capacity mag is illegal. But how could they prevent people (ok, bad guys) from printing those in their garage ...

·
Registered
188 Posts
@ColdFire0200 ...

Exceptionally well done. Before you finalize - have you considered integrating Kel Tec's mag catch compatibility into your design. KT's mag catch that allows the same tube to run M&P, Beretta, S&W, Sig 320, CZ75, etc. from the same platform may enhance your offering.

I will admit that I prefer to carry all my extra weight off the rifle, so I'd run a belt carrier. But, this is easily the best solution for a top 3 most requested accessory.

And, it is likely already in the works, but ... Picatinny is still the most readily adaptable weapon mounting solution. Don't forget the Ruger PC Carbines and Chargers - them guys wanna attach mags to their weapons too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ColdFire0200 ...

Exceptionally well done. Before you finalize - have you considered integrating Kel Tec's mag catch compatibility into your design. KT's mag catch that allows the same tube to run M&P, Beretta, S&W, Sig 320, CZ75, etc. from the same platform may enhance your offering.

I will admit that I prefer to carry all my extra weight off the rifle, so I'd run a belt carrier. But, this is easily the best solution for a top 3 most requested accessory.

And, it is likely already in the works, but ... Picatinny is still the most readily adaptable weapon mounting solution. Don't forget the Ruger PC Carbines and Chargers - them guys wanna attach mags to their weapons too.
Thanks for the comments dred.

1. Multi-mag compatibility. I have been considering that but no I don't have any plan in the near future. I only use 9mm Glock magazine. To design something similar to Kel-tec's I have to secure all the different types of magazine and put extra effort on designing and testing. This goes beyond a hobby project.

2. Picatinny mounting option. Yes there is a plan but the priority is low. The plan is M-LOK first (since it is easy), SUB2000 stock mounting second (main reason I have this project) and Picatinny the last. Likely I have to reuse part of the mounting hardware from an existing product, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Med-pro-Compact-Riser-Mount/dp/B003TX2BD4, since making everything out of 3D print is hard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
@ColdFire0200 ...

Multi-mag.

The Glock model gets the fame because Glock fans talk more but Keltec does sell the crap out the Multi Mag Sub2k

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the comments dred.

1. Multi-mag compatibility. I have been considering that but no I don't have any plan in the near future. I only use 9mm Glock magazine. To design something similar to Kel-tec's I have to secure all the different types of magazine and put extra effort on designing and testing. This goes beyond a hobby project.

2. Picatinny mounting option. Yes there is a plan but the priority is low. The plan is M-LOK first (since it is easy), SUB2000 stock mounting second (main reason I have this project) and Picatinny the last. Likely I have to reuse part of the mounting hardware from an existing product, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Med-pro-Compact-Riser-Mount/dp/B003TX2BD4, since making everything out of 3D print is hard.
Why the multi mag principle works in the Sub 2000 is a whole bunch of double stack mags today all share the basic mag body design of the parent mag they all came from, Brownings Hi Power. Beretta, Canik CZ, Sig 226 Sig 320, S&W 59, S&W M&P mags have different lengths than the Browning and different slide stop & mag catch notches but the body tubes are functional the same as the parent mag. Keltec was smart to do multi mag with one grip, one catch and interchangeable mag catch end pieces to accommodate the pistol mags you already own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why the multi mag principle works in the Sub 2000 is a whole bunch of double stack mags today all share the basic mag body design of the parent mag they all came from, Brownings Hi Power. Beretta, Canik CZ, Sig 226 Sig 320, S&W 59, S&W M&P mags have different lengths than the Browning and different slide stop & mag catch notches but the body tubes are functional the same as the parent mag. Keltec was smart to do multi mag with one grip, one catch and interchangeable mag catch end pieces to accommodate the pistol mags you already own.
Interesting I actually don't know much about it. If only the mag catch needs to be customized for different type that actually is not that hard ...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting I actually don't know much about it. If only the mag catch needs to be customized for different type that actually is not that hard ...
Keltec sells the mag catch base for $ 7.00 and the mag catch plate of your choice with screws and hex wrench for $12.50. Not bad at all imho.

Mag catch base

Some of the mag catch plates

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few careful measurements and few minutes with a drill and hand files will fix that.
I applied minor modification to the design to make it a Gen 4 magazine. Printer started and should get it tomorrow morning. Honestly I don't know why I need this but the idea is so cool ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I applied minor modification to the design to make it a Gen 4 magazine. Printer started and should get it tomorrow morning. Honestly I don't know why I need this but the idea is so cool ...
Friend, need or reason are not required. : )

I doubt Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin to get rich or famous. I think he did it because he could.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since the 3D gurus are here,
Im to outdated to easily get into the 3D design stuff, maybe one day.
I would pay handsomely if I could get a magazine made for my Kintrek .22.
I have the original to use as a template. The magazines were made of a brittle plastic and the feed lips break.
Here is a thread on the subject:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/...-1-22-lr-semi-auto-rifle-and-i-need-to-171159
There would be significant amount of effort in designing/testing and I would say it is beyond my capabilities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts