Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been absent from KTOG for I guess...a decade or so, but I recently picked up a CP33 because a friend praised it so highly. And honestly, after taking it to the range several times I still can't believe how accurate it is. So it's a great candidate for a brace IMO, at least until the ATF decides otherwise.

With that said, I'm working on a side folder that can be mostly 3D printed (affordable) and figured I would post the progress here in case anyone is interested. I still need to finalize screw lengths and tweak the model so they don't protrude anywhere, but it should be complete very soon.

Font Slope Electric blue Gesture Guitar accessory

·
Super Moderator
10,111 Posts
I recently picked up a CP33 because a friend praised it so highly. And honestly, after taking it to the range several times I still can't believe how accurate it is.
In case you missed it....

With that said, I'm working on a side folder that can be mostly 3D printed (affordable) and figured I would post the progress here in case anyone is interested.
I love seeing these 3D printer threads on KTOG! That side folder looks sweet. Eager to see more. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update to show that I have a working prototype. Everything fits together and locks up tight. I'm still tweaking a few things and might increase the size of the tubing I'm using. This feels plenty strong, but the hardware store has run out and I might need to move to a more common size (maybe 3/8").
Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Composite material

Toy Wood Machine Electric blue Engineering

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In case you missed it....

I love seeing these 3D printer threads on KTOG! That side folder looks sweet. Eager to see more. Good luck with it.
Thanks! I did miss your video and it's nice to see others are seeing the same accuracy. This pistol holds tighter groups than my CMMG SBR 22lr that I built, and it's much more compact as well. It's fun to see all the mods others are making as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Denfintly interested. What about strength if material. How well would it hold up to heavy use? What would be length? Would user be able to have good cheek weld for use with scope?
The strength will depend heavily on the material used and the print settings. I'm experimenting with Polymaker PLA Pro now and it is quite impressive, but I've used polycarbonate blends in the past that are tougher and resist heat creep better. By default prints are mostly hollow, but the wall thickness can be increased at the expense of weight. I'm going to take it into the desert and abuse it a bit, but I wouldn't consider it a heavy use item. But honestly, I don't consider the CP33 particularly robust either. The cheek weld is great for what it is. It's really more of a jaw weld to make room for the charging handle, but I rounded the edges of the hinge so it would be comfortable to use in such a way. My eye is lined up naturally with the red dot, but using the open sights would be a challenge.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the way the brace feels when deployed, but it's too bulky when folded for what I want. I designed an underfolder, but it would prevent any accessories being mounted ahead of the trigger guard and the ATF might say it's too similar to an AK underfolder to be a brace. I might try a quick release rather than a hinge so it packs down easily as 2 pieces.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That sounds like a plan. Maybe incoropate a rail cover that doesnt interfere with charging handle. This way the user can opt to use as cheek pistol then attach stock if desired.
You can view cheek weld option via etsy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts