Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an idiot. I just realized that I bet Kel-Tec probably intended for the "3AT" to sound just like "Three Eighty" or 380. Duh.

How clever you are, Kel-Tec..... ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't feel bad. I just figured it out a couple of days ago myself. Cool. Very cool. I wonder what the PF9 is supposed to represent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a little slow. ;D

Well, in the description for the PF-9 forum it says "Pistol Flat"....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
2 E L O said:
I'm an idiot.  I just realized that I bet Kel-Tec probably intended for the "3AT" to sound just like "Three Eighty" or 380.  Duh.

How clever you are, Kel-Tec.....   ;)
Hi,

The names's proably due to copyright issues, the P-380 name was already taken.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
tomwalshco said:
[quote author=dgodfrey link=1269891945/0#1 date=1269893097]Don't feel bad. I just figured it out a couple of days ago myself. Cool. Very cool. I wonder what the PF9 is supposed to represent.
PF = pistol flat - really[/quote]
Yep. Pistol Flat 9mm. After I learned about the 3AT/380, I started reading the descriptions of the Kel Tecs. Interesting.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Picatinny_Pete said:
The names's proably due to copyright issues, the P-380 name was already taken.
I've heard that before, but I don't think it's true. I heard that a long time ago regarding why they chose "P3AT", but Kahr just recently came out with its version of the PM9 in .380. Called the P380... Never heard any copyright complaints over that one.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Product names can't be copyrighted. Trademarks are only legally enforceable if the owner both claims (™) or registers (®) them, and actively defends them.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Sangueffusor said:
Product names can't be copyrighted. Trademarks are only legally enforceable if the owner both claims (™) or registers (®) them, and actively defends them.
And copyrighting stuff is definitely not something Kel-Tec is known for... Ask Ruger... ;D

·
Registered
165 Posts
That would be a patent. Those are only good for a certian amount of time, then they become fair game to everyone. Not sure if thats the case here, but it may be that the patent just ran out.

·
Banned
68 Posts
james__12345 said:
That would be a patent.  Those are only good for a certian amount of time, then they become fair game to everyone.  Not sure if thats the case here, but it may be that the patent just ran out.
Patent...yes. Aren't they good for 20 years? Kel-Tec didn't patent anything. That's how Ruger blatantly ripped off the P3AT design and KT couldn't do a danged thing about it. The P3AT is nowhere near 20 years old so if it WERE patented, copyrighted, whatever... They'd have legal grounds to sue...just like Glock has done...and more than once...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmmm...like Arby's = RB = roast beef :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently figured this out too, and then I laughed out loud to the guy I was talking to, whom I barely knew. Clever for sure.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There is a video on youtube where the guy is reviewing the P3AT and he says the name a lot with clear enunciation on each letter and number... P-3-A-T. I don't think he had it figured out either.

So many companies don't have as much clever-ness in their gun names. Kel-tec has it goin' on. :cool:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
For some the pf in pf9 may stand for "personal favorite" :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts