3AT or P32????

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by stecker, Nov 22, 2010.

1. stecker

stecker New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I have been reading this site for about 18 months, and what I learned here lead to my purchase of a PF9 about 16 months ago. I love the PF9 and it serves as my primary carry more than half of the time. When I can get away with it I prefer to carry my PT145 or my PT92 as my primary. Even though I can get away with carrying my PF9 in my pocket sometimes, its not real often so I don't really consider it a pocket or BUG to my other primary carry options. Of course when I am carrying my PF9 as my primary I don't even have a BUG option. I have not shot the 3AT, but have shot a few hundred rounds through LCP's that belong to friends or family and I find them a little "snappy" and hard to keep on target during rapid fire from my weakhand.

I am thinking that if I ever need a BUG, things would be really bad. It would probably mean that I am dealing with threats with my strong hand or injured. With that in mind I am wondering if the P32 might be a better choice for a pocket bug than the 3AT.

So for those of you who have both the 3AT and the P32 (or at least enough experience with both to comment), which would you rather have in your pocket under these conditions. Your primary (what ever that is for you) is empty or otherwise unavailable, you are up close and personal, and you will only be able to use your weak hand to fire the weapon because your stronghand is occupied or injured?

2. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Well, in my case, I was looking for a P3AT and none were readily available...I came across a lightly used P32, box, paper's, gun rug and 3 mag's...So I jumped on that...Nice soft shooter...I did have some FMJ rds bounce off some wooden target's, back at me...
    THEN a P3AT popped up...I am actually more accurate with the P3AT at distances of 30 feet or so...

When I need a pocket carry for short trip's to the store or mail box, it is usually the P3AT..Sort of forgot about the P32...

3. ryr8828

ryr8828 New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I don't want to be shot with either, but .380 is marginal and .32 is worse.

4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    So many gun sites say the same thing, that .380 is marginal. I would agree with a pistol with a barrel less than 2.5" long, (like a SeeCamp). However, the P3AT with Speer GoldDot ammo meets the "12in. gelatin requirement" and has good expansion. So does my Kahr P380 with it's 2.5" barrel. Lots of P3AT wetpack data on my WWW link thing at page bottom.

The P32 is still preferred by some for pocket carry as a BUG and even by a few for primary carry. But only with FMJ ammo. My tests, and some of GoldenLoki's, did not show good performance with JHP ammo. Poor penetration and sometimes no expansion at all. Plus, there is a chance of getting 'rim lock' with .32 JHP.

So you have to make a choice with what you want to carry. Best of luck to all.

og

5. bonjorno2

bonjorno2 New Member

May 31, 2010
    I have all three pf9, p3at, and p32.... I usually carry the pf9 and p32, but i've carried a naa pug 22mag from time to time.... any gun is better than no gun, but out of the p3at and p32 i prefer the 32!

6. stecker

stecker New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, I got the P32 today (blue frame with hard chrome slide). I had 4 color options to choose from and picked this because it was different, and it is going to spend 99% of its life in my pocket so if no one else likes the looks who cares? So tonight I will clean her up and go to the range to break her in. Thanks for all of your comments.

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    in my limited experience, what I have found is very simple. those that claim the 32 or 380 are marginal rounds still will not volunteer to let me shoot them in the a$$ with one.

therefore, it is just fine. the gun you have is better than the one you don't.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post replies HERE