$385.00 P3AT at gun show.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bigpoppa, Jan 21, 2008.

1. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    It's amazing what you run into at the gun show. I almost spit my Coke out when I saw that price! ::) This is a great site BTW!

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Wow - it must have been 24K gold plated and diamond studded! :eek:

Bobo

3. PHQAdmin

PHQAdmin New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    WOW :eek: And I thought $280 was bad for the HC I bought.

4. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Sounds way overpriced..Definitly better deals out there...

5. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I saw a black/blue P3-AT at a gun show last month for $358 and other dealers at the same show were $80 or so less. If not careful you can easily be ripped off at such shows.

Reggie

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I always amazes me that at gun shows, you'll see some yahoo with way over-priced stuff when 3 tables over the same gears is priced way less.  I wonder how they ever sell anything.  The used prices on Kel-tecs is often my barometer for a vendor.  If he has a $300 price tag on an old, used P11, I usually won't bother to won't look twice at his other stuff, just on priciple if nothing else.

7. UgaSteve

UgaSteve New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Yep that's nuts. I'm guessing they were just trying to make some loot off of the fact that the p3 is a pretty unique pistol. Bought my wife one yesterday HC top for 265. Bought myself a taurus SS Mill PRO compact .40 for 355. All from Chuck's Bait and Tackle WR GA.

8. bigpoppa

bigpoppa New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    I didn't even bother asking what he would take for it. Even if he took $50.00 off the price it's still way overpriced! Gun show vendors think they are sittin' on goldmines. ;D

9. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    That must be some sort of a record. I've never seen a P3AT jacked up that high.

Was this a new one or a private sale? I look at the Tradin' Post in our area from time to time. I sometimes see firearms of all sorts for sale at rediculous prices. I wonder if the owner just does not know the market value, or if they are targeting their sale to individuals who otherwise couldn't buy a gun - criminals, and the like.

I have taken to requiring a quick ID check when making a private sale. I also have a short receipt I have buyers fill out. I include the sales price, gun serial number, my name and address and the buyer's name and address. The buyer also has to sign a short statement indicating that they aren't prohibited from purchasing a firearm in Ohio. We each get a copy and mine goes into my safe. This is my way of covering my own backside if something goes wrong down the line.

10. PHQAdmin

PHQAdmin New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I lived in Ohio for a couple years and wouldn't sell or buy a single firearm while there.

Here in Michigan we have to get a purchase permit from the local authority (Police Department or Sheriff Department) unless you have a CCW/CPL. Then you can do a face to face without the purchase permit, however still have forms that you must use and send to the state as well as taking the firearm to the local authority that would have issued the purchase permit for a safety inspection. (This is for hand guns only, not long guns)

All this stuff gets entered into the computers and you become the "registered" owner or owner of record for that firearm. I had a guy dying to take a S&W 659 off my hands in Ohio and when I found out that they didn't do the whole purchase and computer record thing down there, I was just too fearful to part with the gun as I didn't like not having a way to release me as the owner of record other than a piece of paper that I would have to keep for the rest of my life.

I know it's safe and I know that's how it's been down all along down there, but being born and raised in Michigan and being back here now, I guess I have just grown used to our methods even though they take longer with extra steps.

11. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    eeeew, PHQ, i'm sorry, that's a whole heapin' helpin' of junk to go through! i walk in store, say "i want that one", fill out 4473, pay, and leave. or FTF? hey, i'll take it! meet up, hand money, have them fill out my pre printed BOS and go about my happy day.

anyhow, that is a NUTTY price, but i am no longer amazed by the rip off prices for KTs these days. i paid more at 289 for my blued copy than i should have, but it was the cheapest i'd been able to find yet and needed it now rather than later. have YET to see a SINGLE kt at a gun show yet!!! :eek:

12. PHQAdmin

PHQAdmin New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    It's not as bad as it sounds as long as you have the CCW. Just the extra trip to go get it inspected which has to be done within 10 days of the purchase.

13. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    i'm not knocking you in any fashion, but it sounds way too much like registration to me, and just the fact that you do NOT wish to part with a gun to go out of state is enough for me to want to avoid the whole deal.

14. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Humm...

I guess I'm glad I live in OH afterall. I don't think I could abide by all that.

15. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Yea, AZ is just as free and Consitutional as OH. I've sold/bought several firearms that way.

"Can I see a DL to verify that you are of legal age, AND a resident of this state?"

"Here"

Gun and money change hands, both parties happy.

No unConstitutional state or federal interference with a private transaction between legal adults.

That crap in MI really bothers me. Yet one more reason I could never, ever live there. It's bad enough the feds do a 4473, but state govs adding all that extra infringement..... >:(

16. PHQAdmin

PHQAdmin New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    It was much worse when we had to wait 15 days for the background check to happen to get the purchase permit and then take the gun back and let them keep it for a few days while they ran all the numbers and did the FBI checks on it.

So what we go through now, were far worse than most, is leaps and bounds from where we were just a few years ago.

17. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I got mine at a gunshow for $269 plus the governor's cut. They took my DL, I filled out the standard form, I gave him some money, he made a phone call, he thanked me, I thanked him and I was the proud owner of a brand new KT P3AT. I love living in Mississippi. I can take one of my guns, sell it to a friend and never have to let anyone know or have any one check anything.

18. I went to a gun show in Monroe La Saturday...

Blued Kel-Tecs of every make/model.

3AT about $269 Avg.   up to almost $300 for a P11 Avg Price.

I saw several PLR's and S2K's but did not note prices.  (Sorry guys..... gun show fever I suppose)

The really sad thing is..... I had no passion to buy a gun Saturday.  Ohh..... I know why......  my wife was with me!  Thank god she does not know a Blue 3at from a Custon Les Baer or she may have been able to figure out how much I have spent on guns this last year!

But I understand the hesitation to sell a gun with your name on it.  I felt odd one time when I did walk around a gun show with exposed guns in hand.  (The universal THIS GUN IS FOR SELL SIGN at gun shows right?).  

It is my understanding that in La. it is legal for me to sell you a gun if I DO NOT HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE you are not disqualified from owning the gun in question.  

NO legal requirment for me to do anything as far as recording or verifying squat.

It would be dang hard for a prosecutor to prove I had reason to know some one was a convicted felon unless that person was a personal friend of mine or maybe a family member.

All of that said, I do not sell to individuals at gun shows...........

I have never bought any guns  FTF at a gun show or any where else.

Except one, at a gun show a LOOOONG time ago.

And I sold it.....

At a gun show a loooooooong time ago.   ;)

19. younggun21

younggun21 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm in central indiana, haven't been to a gun show in awhile but the local gun shops have P3's priced over $300 never seen any less than that anywhere in this state... not many making it here or what? Even at the famous Don's Guns (something like 10-30% of all guns used in gun crime in indy go through his store at some point) they are still over 300.

http://www.donsguns.com/index.htm

Just so you can see what kind of place I'm talking about.

-Kyle

20. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I live in Columbus, and I got a blued P3-AT last April for $259. I think it was mere coincidence that I showed up in the right place at the right time, though. Apparently they're in so much demand that the pawn shop/gun store couldn't keep them on the shelves.