Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this months issue of American Rifleman from the NRA. They reviewed 9 different 380's including the P3AT. Very interesting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great article -the  P-3AT did very well vs some very expensive (and heavy) competition.
P.S. if you aren't a NRA member consider joining!! you'll help to preserve your 2nd A rights, and get at very good magazine.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
They all had some malfunctions except the Rohrough.Out of the box I would suspect.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
fez said:
They all had some malfunctions except the Rohrough.Out of the box I would suspect.
I noticed that too and found it very strange. Perhaps they should have chosen another/better shooter to do the testing. I can't believe all these guns had so many problems. I'd love to see a video clip of his experiences.

I also didn't much like his comments on the P3AT. The opening remarks at the beginning of the article trashed it a bit. But the Ruger LCP, which we all know is a bald faced copy of the P3AT, got a better initial review based principally on appearance. Of course, the LCP had ammo problems too, but...

I hope to read the article in more detail this weekend.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Perhaps Rohrough "donated" more "assistance" to the magazine than some of the other gun manufacturers. ::) Oops, did I say that out loud? :-X

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I call crap on this. I just looked at the article on the NRA's website. The prejudice is horrible. >:( Looking at the issues reported, I'd bet they took the guns out of the box and shot them without cleaning or lubing. Also, can we say Limpwristing?
Kel-Tec P3AT

The single most important criteria in selecting a gun for habitual carry is weight—as long as the gun in question is enough gun for the job. If you are considering a .380, you cannot find one that is lighter than the 8.3-ounce P3AT. While Kel-Tec has branched off into some interesting long guns in recent years, the firm’s bread and butter has been small semi-automatic pistols at low prices. It actually makes a smaller and lighter version of this gun in .32 ACP. Using a light, slim polymer receiver that houses the lockwork and a single-column magazine of six rounds, the P3AT is indeed a light, small package. It’s a hammer-fired DAO, in which the mass of the hammer is concentrated around the point of pivot. The gun is not easy to shoot, in that the sights are small and hard to see, and it has too many sharp edges and corners. Further, the P3AT is prone to malfunction with several kinds of ammunition. I suspect that the Kel-Tec needs a great deal of breaking-in before it goes into service.
Seriously?

Ruger LCP

A good bit of the interest in small .380s stems from the introduction of this pistol at the 2008 SHOT Show. Several of our nine-gun assortment pre-date the little Ruger, but it is the one that ignited such intense popularity in tiny .380s. It’s easy to see why; the Ruger is an appealing little gun. With a glass-filled nylon lower topped with a steel barrel and slide, the LCP is a recoil-operated gun with DAO lockwork and a speed hammer. The gun is not only small and light, but also relatively thin—just about eight-tenths of an inch. Recoil is snappy and almost painful. In anything but bright daylight, the tiny sights preclude a proper sight picture. Although the Ruger is an uncommonly handsome little rascal, it has a number of edges and corners that you just can’t design out of the gun. We had problems getting through the shooting evaluation. That included a number of feedway malfunctions, which were puzzling. It was the same pistol I had written up shortly after it was introduced. There were no problems then, but a new array of different loads resulted in some jams. I must conclude that the LCP is a bit ammunition-sensitive and you have to pick your loads carefully to keep it running.
Oh, GOOD GRIEF?!?! Where do they include the truth? Oh, I know, NOWHERE!

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
When I first read that review, I thought to myself "well, this guy must be a Ruger fanboy"

Just the flavor of the two reviews, and they both say just about the same thing. But he obviously likes the Ruger better, for some unknown reason.

Slanted, to say the least.

And how many P3ATs have been sold? Compared to the LCP? Who started the interest?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've only shot two kinds of ammo in mine, but it's been flawless.

I just typed up this review/range report yesterday after a fun time of shooting my P3AT for the first time on Friday.

Maybe my fluff and buff and cleaning made all the difference, but mine shot like a true champion.

"The gun is not easy to shoot" Really!?!? I shot over 100 rounds and wished I had brought more ammo.

too many sharp edges and corners What are they talking about!?!?

Here's my writeup.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1264266070

·
Registered
72 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;D

The only problem that I've had with the P-3AT was ammo related in that  the bullets were not seated properly.  LOA of the cartrige was just a bit out of spec. so no fault of the gun :)

As to being hard to shoot. This gun is a "natural" pointer for me. Alignment is great. Point and shoot. On target :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
diamond said:
[quote author=Rich62643 link=1264000103/0#5 date=1264261222]I'm stickin with this
I don't blame you.  

What is that "chrome" area near the muzzle?[/quote]

Polished slide

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rich62643 said:
[quote author=diamond link=1264000103/0#6 date=1264266211][quote author=Rich62643 link=1264000103/0#5 date=1264261222]I'm stickin with this
I don't blame you.  

What is that "chrome" area near the muzzle?[/quote]

Polished slide
[/quote]
Looks nice. Very personalized.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my P3AT at gun show in SE Missouri a couple of days before my copy showed up.  Although I've only been through 2 boxes of Aguila, I'd have to say either I got lucky or the article is somewhat biased.  I did a thorough cleaning / inspection, breakfree on the rails, then went out. Not a single malfunction so far.  More than accurate for the intended purpose.  The only problem I've noticed is trigger slap.....no different than my wife's LCP.

;D

·
Registered
623 Posts
chipo said:
Just got my P3AT at gun show in SE Missouri a couple of days before my copy showed up.  Although I've only been through 2 boxes of Aguila, I'd have to say either I got lucky or the article is somewhat biased.  I did a thorough cleaning / inspection, breakfree on the rails, then went out. Not a single malfunction so far.  More than accurate for the intended purpose.  The only problem I've noticed is trigger slap.....no different than my wife's LCP.

;D
Welcome. Jump on over to the new member section and introduce yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts