.380 reloading help

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cookieruffruff, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cookieruffruff

cookieruffruff New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    because of ammo shortages, i would like to reload for my p3at. never have before, i was an optician for 35 yrs so i'm used to things being on the money,......which reloader outfit is best,easiiest,complete. and instructions ???????

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have an RCBS "Rock Chucker" single stage press. It's dead on. I use calipers to ensure proper length. I've never had a problem with any of my loads.

3. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    i started using lee products because they are cross-the-board cheaper than the competition. their quality and customer support is excellent so i never saw a reason to upgrade to the "nice" brands. furthermore a digital caliper of and a digital scale is a must and they have come down in price a*lot over the last few years

4. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008

+1 on the Lee... i would recommend the lee classic turrent press... cast iron
    load anything from .25 to 50BMG (midway USA has them but it you search you may find them cheaper
    stay away from ebay they are over priced there...)i have loaded thousands of round with the
    Lee with not so much as one problem or maybe one or two but they were on technique...

also be sure when you get dies to get the carbide dies for small calibers you do not have
    to lubricate the cases (although i do know some who do)

5. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ah Oh, Ford vs Chevy, Red vs Blue vs Green.

I like my Hornady Lock N Load progresive. With the case feeder I can really pump out the rounds. Now if I only had some 380 brass and bullets I'd be at it.

6. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005

I also have one, nice setup, a little slow but then that gives you time to double check everything

7. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
  8. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Well,

let me throw in redding.

I bet all this helps, huh ?

I asked pretty much thee same question about six months ago.

Basic advice

1. go with carbide die sets for .380
    2. go with press constructed of iron, not aluminum (no galling when changing dies)
    3. get a Lee Universal Decapper Die, regardless of what else you get
    4. On .380, get a seperate taper crimp die
    5. You can find .380 bullets here http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-Bullets/Categories
    6.watch for 9mm Marakov rounds & 9mm Parabellum rounds in your brass casings

Hope all this helps,

Bert

9. Bunker

Bunker New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I like 4.5g of AA#5 under an 88 gr. HP pill.. But again, YMMMV..

10. Mamba

Mamba New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Might want to check component availability BEFORE buying the press, etc.. Primers have been non-existent for many weeks now, especially the Small ones.  :(

11. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    That's good advice, but depending on your location, I do not beleive it is time for discouragement yet. I have since March bought about 10K primers of every type, including small pistol & small rifle about 10 days ago here in TN.Most of the vendors around here expect them to continue to dribble in, and really pick up by June. I saw some primers available at some of the on-line vendors recently, but you really have to stock up to overcome the $20 hazmat fee.

SO, to re-cap, buy your reloading manuals, primers, projectiles, powder, dies, & presses pretty much in that order. By the time you are ready to reload, you will be fine.

One exception though..order your .380 dies now. It will take 6-8 weeks depending on the mfg & vendor.

Bert

12. Mamba

Mamba New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    >buy your reloading manuals, primers, projectiles, powder, dies, & presses pretty much in that order.

About what I was saying...see what you can actually FIND before going too crazy ordering the whole shebang. A member on our club forum went whole hog a couple months ago and is still fume'n as he can't find any primers...and took awhile to find powder.

Last primers I got were Wolf, and online so got nailed with the fees. IF they start showing up online I won't have a problem get'n a few club members to split the cost. Local availability here (Denver area) has dried up...used to buy from Sportsman's Warehouse but they are going out of biz and the shelves have been bare for months.

13. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Components are hard to find for sure,
    I got lucky when I went to a LGS and there was 20,000 primers on the shelf.
    Picked up two boxes, the rest didn't last a week.