.380 practice ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by GuyFawkes2008, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GuyFawkes2008

GuyFawkes2008 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Southern Central FL
    I'm not sure if this is the right place, so please move this if it isn't! Since the price of ammo is going stratospheric, finding it cheap enough to practice with has become a big concern for all of us who shoot, so I figured I'd share this - now that I bought all I want ;)

Widners has .380 95gr Blazer aluminum for $7.85 / box of 50 (less than 20 boxes) or $7.80 / box of 50 (for 20 boxes or more):

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7247&dir=18|646

Not being a reloader (yet!) I use Blazer aluminum for practice and have no issues with the cleanliness or accuracy of this as a practice round. I've ordered tons of stuff from Wideners and they've always been good to deal with, the shipping is reasonable and I don't pay sales tax (they're in Tenn, I'm in FL).

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would be concern shooting it in a P3AT, since the case is not fully contained in the chamber.
    If you follow the KB link, it goes to a grip destroyed from a casing blowout

Kind of like buying a high performace car and wanting to run it on regular :-/

3. razz

razz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    I thought this was factory ammo? Using factory Blazer Aluminum can cause kaboom on P3AT?!?

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I've heard of MagSafe causing a KB in a P3, and our latest KB happened with shooting Wolf. But I've never heard of Blazer Aluminium doing so. In fact, several members have stated that they shoot it with no problems in their P3-ATs. I have some and will try it out on my next range trip.

5. razz

razz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    I just searched google and found this. "On the KelTec forum (KTOG) it appears that the company recommends NOT using reloads, steel cased OR aluminum rounds in their P3AT (my other 380)."

Is this true? Glock also doesn't recommend reloads but it has no problem with aluminum cases.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    No aluminum, no steel ... brass only and no MagSafe.

I shoot Monarch on a regular basis, it's cheap and available at Academy down here in the south.

For the record I don't use aluminum or steel in any gun. It's a personal preference based on observations and you will find others who have no issue shooting aluminum or steel. Some ranges in this area will not let you stay on the range if they see you shooting anything other than brass.

7. GuyFawkes2008

GuyFawkes2008 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Southern Central FL
    It's all I've been practicing with in my P3AT, with no issues.

I do inspect the cartridges as I load them into the mag though, and cycle my carry ammo very carefully to avoid over-chambering. I had a setback on some .40 reloads in my Sig, so that about half the bullet was backed into the case - thank God, for whatever reason the primer was a dud and didn't fire. So I've got an irational fear of having a setback and over-pressure from it!

8. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

9. Same here DB... I have shot the GREEN BOX monarch and it is ok... but be careful!  SOME of the MONARCH is steel cased.  I think it is the blue box monarch.  Make sure you look in the box before you pay.  The steel case monarch looks just like wolf to me.  The brass cased monarch looks like..... brass!  ;)

I will also add... that after I had my carry 3at up and running, and got 300+ rounds with out any failures... the rule for me is shoot a little and carry a lot.    I run maybe 2-3 mags per month, and it is usually 2 carry rounds of the DPX or Santa Barb.  The rest is usually WWB.

Shoot...........Clean.........Lube.........Repeat!

10. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Out of curiosity, what's the problem with Magsafe. I've never tried any but have seen it at gun shows.

-moleman

11. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I have used aluminum CCI Blazer in 45, 9mm, 38spe, and 380 for a long time with no problems :)

12. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    "our latest KB happened with shooting Wolf. "

in all fairness, while the KB happened firing a wolf round, the round fired prior to the KB (ie the primary suspect of having lodged a bullet in the barrel) was not a wolf round but a plain jane factory loaded fmj in a brass case.

13. keroppl

keroppl New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    On my last outing with my p-3at I shot a box of greenbox monarch 94gr JHP (its all academy had), it fed flawlessly and was pretty cheap, has anyone tested it for expansion?