380 Federal Hi-Shok

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gatorhugger, Jan 30, 2008.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    As an FYI, I got a response from Federal. The Hi shok is no longer produced, in 380 at least.

Not that many people probably care, everyone is going to the sexier rounds, but it is the roundest, most "feedable' JHP I have found, and does have reliable Shrooms and 9.5" penetration according to the Mouseguns Wetpack reports. I just got 250 rounds off an auction so that should have me set for a few years. Get em now if you ever wanted any. They are almost impossible to find but can still be found occassionally at auction.

Then it's onto Corbon or Sabers I suppose.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I love them in .40. But for .380 (for me) its AE FMJ and DPX.

-Scott

3. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Agreed on the .40! My G27 stays stacked with them, that is bad news indeed if they stop making them for all calibers! I hadn't seen any yet on the shelves for .380 or I would have bought a box. Guess I better get to hunting for it! Thanks for the heads up!

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have one box of 90gr Hi-Shok bullets in .380 and keep mine stacked with them. They do seem to be a good little round so it's too bad they quit making them. Why is it that every time some company comes up with a good idea it goes away?

5. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    That's a good question, because they haven't developed the HST for the 380 yet, so if you want Federal, which I like because it's sealed against water, have great primers, and a nice profile, you are stuck with the Hydra shoks, which BTW actually performs WORSE in the Wetpack tests than the Hi shok.

Go figure. I guess the name Hi Shok was too old and not glamerous enough, and sales declined so it was eliminated. Kinda sucks.

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    What is the difference between the two?

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    The Hydra shok has the post causing the expansion, (when it occurs), and looks like every other JHP besides golden sabers or powerball. The end of it is chopped off looking. Which means the edge pushes against the feed ramp. Which, if the gun is dirty, MAY cause feeding issues. Some people shoot FMJ for feeding and penetration issues, well Hi shok does that real well AND expands everytime. Best of both worlds.

The Hi Shock almost looks like a FMJ. It's that smooth. Only a smooth side would ever hit the feed ramp.
    Hydra and Hi shok have similar velocity. Hi shock in a bersa 380 rated just below Golden saber in penetration and expansion.
    Actually higher than Corbon +P.
    One report said it fed the smoothest out of all the cartridges tested, he almost couldn't tell it was feeding, it's was just like Full metal jacket, and expanded almost identical to the Corbon, everytime.
    The Hydra shoks sometimes don't expand. Both will have some jacket seperation in wallboard.

A pretty sweet round for a gun like the P3at. It has the round profile for that steep feed ramp, it opens up into nice mushrooms even in small barrel guns, Penetrates effectively, 12" in water, 8.5" in denim covered Wetpack, very accurate, sealed for moisture, and isn't +P, for controllability and quick follow up shots. Really can't ask for more in a 380 in my opinion.

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Now that I pimped the cartridge like a Federal VP of marketing, I will sell ya a box of 50 for only $50.00
    ;D

9. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Very interesting, could you provide a link to these tests?

thank you

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just a quick note, Corbon +p and Corbon DPX are not the same things. Wasn't sure if that is clear based on what I saw written above.

-Scott

11. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Of course there are lots of Wetpack tests, this "final" test lists Plain ole Hi shok ranked #2 in overall score to Golden Sabers. It has Slightly less expansion than Corbon+p with slightly more penetration.
    http://mouseguns.com/final380.htm

And this is a non +P load!!!
    Good enough for me. It always scores high on penetration which is crucial in this smaller caliber, with only a slight decrease in expansion from corbon. Any of them are good though, corbon, sabers, Hi shok. I did read somewhere that Hydras failed miserably, still have to find that link.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    All 380 acp is non +P. That designation does not exist for this caliber.

13. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Please explain, I know nothing about corbon cartridges really, but I have seen Corbon +p, you are saying when it says corbon +p, it isn't really +p?

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    More like market hipe. As of recent there is no SAAMI disignation for 380acp+P. But if you take the generality of SAAMI specs and say a round loaded between 100 to 109% is +P, then a 100% 380ACP SAAMI could be called +P.
    But I have never worked for SAAMI nor NASA so I might be wrong ;)

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Interesting. Oh well, the hi shok is good stuff.
    The more I read the better I like it and I haven't shot it yet. ;D

THE MOST penetrating round period besides FMJ. Easily does 14". If penetration is your deal for the 380, this would be the cartridge it seems.