.380 Emergency Stash

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CCWMan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    You can fit at least 9 .380 Auto rounds into a 35mm film cannister and still get the top on tight so the container is pretty waterproof. Might make a nice emergency stash for those who live in high crime areas. ;)

2. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    People keep asking me "Why not carry your spare rounds in a mag?" Yes, I'd rather carry my spare rounds in a spare mag. But it's been raining here so much lately I wanted to come up with a WATERPROOF stash box.
    If a cartridge doesn't test as waterproof Speer won't sell it under their premium "Gold Dot" brand name. They are sold as generic "hollow points" and the box is marked "Not for L.E. Use -Not to be repackaged - Practice Ammunition". In a similar vein, Remington charges more for their rounds that they advertise as having waterproof primers.
    I guess when your life is at stake - like a cop - you worry about things like dropping a mag into a puddle during a firefight.

3. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    With the age of digital camera's, I can't remember the last time that I bought 35mm film. It's been at least 9 years or more.

4. Back in the daze- I used the cannisters to store what we called "party favors".  But I can not for the life of me see why I would want one full of .380 rounds in my pocket.

Under duress.......fumbling around in a mud puddle trying to drop an empty mag from a 3AT.....load the empty back it up.....back in the gun....rack the slide ... and return fire?

Hmmmm....  

Maybe if the BG had some of my old party favors in his sytem and was moving VERY slowly.          

5. 2Eagle_Dad

2Eagle_Dad Active Member

We used to have the scouts make neckercheif slide/first aid kit combos out of them until the supply dried up...

A couple of Bandaids, some gauze and a couple of needles on the inside. wrap duct tape around the outside (several laps - you can peel it off) and it can really help in a pinch.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    OK, I can see the trafic stop now.  
    In today's envoroment, a duct wrapped "pipe" filled with ammunitions,
    equals "IED" or "WMD" :eek:

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I use the 35 mm canisters for Geocaches. :)

8. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I really can't see reloading a mag under stress. First thing that seems to go
    is small motor co-ordination not to mention having the presence to even think about it.
    If you are really concerend about getting rounds wet there are a few options.
    First, the most likely place for water to enter is around the primer. Use a small
    amount of clear nail polish to seal the primer. I would not add anything near the bullet, it will cause a jam. You can always get a small water proof container (soap box) to hold a magazine (s). Check out your local camping shop.
    If you want something for your boat, truck, etc., use zip lock bags. One facing one, the other the opposite.
    I would never carry loose ammo it just doesn't make sense, but that's me. I always keep a few hundred rounds in a ammo can but I carry loaded mags.
    Keep your powder dry.
    Norton