.380 Ammo - where to find?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by adamsesq, Mar 21, 2009.

1. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Anyone have any current sources that have any .380 ammo? All the main ones I look to online are out and I just enabled another Kel-Tec owner and kind of feel obligated to help him find some ammo.

-Scott

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Thank you, Georgia Arms was the only place I could find anything as well. Apparently no one else could find anything else or I expect we would have seen it here :'(

-Scott

3. MikeN

MikeN New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I hit 4 WalMart's in the past 1.5 days and none had ANY 380 rounds.

I was out on a 200 mile motorcycle ride, and happend to go by Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills, TX.  Went in and they had a few boxes or Corbon 90gr JHP, so I picked some up.  $22/box of 20

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    This evening I went on an ammo run, or tried to.

D!ck's had only one box of 40 and several boxes of 44.  The guy there told me that the folks from The Bullet Hole and A Place to Shoot (local ranges) had cleaned him out.  They can't get anything from their suppliers so they're buying whatever they can find at retail.

Walmart had zero centerfire pistol ammo.

Academy Sports had no 380 and very little of anything.  I bought a box of WWB 32 acp for $22 - just because it was there, a couple of boxes of Monach steel cased 380 Mak and a couple of Monarch steel-cased 9mm that my Ruger P89 should digest.  Those were about $8/50.  They had no other pistol ammo except for a handful of boxes of 9mm SD ammo - none of which I needed.  I have never seen more bare shelves before this.  :(

On a better note, Academy had their normal selection of guns except for ARs, none of which I saw.  The guy behind the counter said they have had no price increases on guns at all going back to last summer when he started, except for one or two which were minor.  That just confirmed the gun show price hikes are just scammers talking advantage of Obamahysteria.

5. MadDogJohn

MadDogJohn New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Haven't seen any in stores or online for over a month now. Except the auctions at gunbroker-dot-com. Prices being demanded there are just downright ridiculous. Don't go there unless you are 1) desperate 2) willing to get soaked 3) rich and don't care.

With that said, I've heard it may be summer before ammo manufacturers catch up on production. Most only tool up for one .380 run a year and I don't think they were prepared for the new popularity of .380 and the Obama effect. Let's see what happens...

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That is the most plausible explanation I have heard yet.

7. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Georgia Arms was on the local news here in NE Georgia a few nights ago and the owner said, "if we do not get another order, we have enough existing orders to keep us working 24/7 for the next six months."

This shortage looks like it may last for quite some time.

Billy

8. MikeN

MikeN New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Glad it's going well for one of the better vendors.... not great for those of us that want ammo now of course ;D

9. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Greetings all. New kid on both the KT Forums. Just found you yesterday.
    I put everything Cabelas had in a 380 on a wish list some time ago. That way, everyday over coffee I'd go straight to the wish list and it would tell me right there if an item on the list was in stock or not. I did the same thing with Bass Pr and a few other sites when I found out there was no 380 to be had. One day 3 or 4 weeks ago, regular 'ol Remmingtom 380 JHP showed as being in stock at Bass Pro. I pounced and landed 10 boxes. Being a new 380 owner, I did not know that the standard Remmington 380 JHP would not expand when tossed from the shor barreled Kel-Tec. Oh well.
    Yet I did find a way to find ammo. On 3-16-2009, after many weeks of nothing in 7 or 8 380 makes, Golden Saber showed up on Cabelas as In Stock. I immediately bought 5 boxes then turned around 10 minutes later bough 5 more boxes. I got 250 rounds of Golden Saber on the way. Should be here Tusday. At the same time, a back-order I had forgotten about that I had made on 2-22 shipped. 100 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. I also run into a box of Silver Tip and several boxes of Cor-Bon at a local gun store. My quest to reach a certain inventory started 6 weeks ago. When these orders arrive tuesday I will put away my "Special" ammo box. Now my only quest is for 380 plinking rounds which can't be found anywhere.

10. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
  11. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    A report for you.
    I had been ptting 380 on back-orders and waiting for it to ship. Well I just got emails from Cabelas stating they've canceled my back-orders.
    I had no intention of hording ammunition rather I've got a hand gun ammo can that I keep at certain levels and I was hoping to bring my par back up. I'm good with defensive 380 but haven't landed a single round of range ammo in 6 weeks. I did find one smiley in a box with thousands of casings.
    BTW, can't find reload supplies either.

12. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The only places I've been able to get 380 were at small local shops on the day they got their ammo shipment. :(

13. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    both local cabelas and sheels in iowa/minnesota had pistol powder (red dot, bullseye etc) in stock as well as small pistol primers, so i dont see why you couldnt order that stuff online if youre willing to pay the hazmat fee. berry sells 380 bullets for about $65/1000 tyd.

im finally set up for reloading all my old 380 cases ive saved through the years and produced my first batch this morning. shot & cycled just fine. slightly less recoil than the factory stuff, which is good ebcause at 9.5 cents a round im expecting to go through a lot :)

14. MikeN

MikeN New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Congrats... 9.5c is a respectable price... especially today :)

I just find it hard to reclaim the shells. :-?

15. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I only have 70 casings to reload. I'm glad I'm set on good JHP.

16. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    ammodirect.com seems to have some in stock.

17. jerrittcat

jerrittcat New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Thanks for that heads up on ammo direct, Ordered a few for myself.

18. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm looking at ammo direct but I sure don't see it. Just curious unless its target rounds.

19. barryrod

barryrod New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Punch in 380 into the search window ;D