380 ammo shortage

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RCACFBilly, Jan 14, 2009.

1. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    What is up with the shortage in 380 ammo? I was in Englewood Florida over the holidays and there was none available to take to the range with my nephew. I am back in NE Georgia now and looked online to discover there is almost none available. Able Ammo has 1 out of 43 possible, Midway 6 of 47, Cabela's 0, and The Sportsman's Guide 2 out of several.

I have several pounds at my house but I am curious why it seems that mostly the 380 rounds are in short supply. There are several 9 mm bullets available from these same places.

Does anyone know why?

Billy

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The two WalMarts near me in NC have been out of 32 and 380 since first of the year. :eek:

3. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Now that Ruger and Kahr have both jumped into the .380 carry pistol market, coupled with a major increase in various state CCW issuance, and further pushed by great concern over the future of gun laws over the next four years, there appears to be a tremendous demand for this ammo. Manufacturers simply have not been able to keep up with this demand since November apparently, but I would guess production is or will soon be increased to meet the demands.

4. JB

JB Guest

The ones near me that I have checked also seem to be staying pretty much out of 9mm, .38 and .357, right now. The one location had only Remington 115 grain FMJ in 9mm, and only a few boxes of that, and no .380, .38 or .357. Most seem to be able to keep plenty of .40 and .45, which is a kick in the butt because one factor that pushed me to choose a P11 over a compact .45 (in addition to price and the fact that I already had one 9mm) was the idea that 9mm ammo would pretty much always be available while some other ammo might not. I've got enough for all three of my potential carry weapons, right now (my P3AT, my P11 and my .357) and I wouldn't be able to afford a regular diet of .40 or .45 but the lack of steady supply for .380, 9mm and .38/.357 and the fact that WalMart (for instance) has a better supply of .40 and .45 makes it tempting to think about buying an inexpensive .40 and/or .45 (maybe a Hi-Point) to have, just in case.

5. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Where I got my p3ta they had premeim ammo but no cheap stuff for use at the range. I have a buddy that reloads all I need to due is give him the parts and powder.

6. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    It is still available in Dicks and Walmart in Williston Vt. They have had some every time I have looked. Sorry to hear it is so scarce so many other places.

7. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Don't blame Kahr. They JUST shipped their first batch of P380s and I've yet to hear of a report of a "real person" having one. No .380 shortage around here, though. Just picked up a couple of value packs at Wal-Mart.

8. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I was talking to a sports counter clerk at the local Wal Mart a couple of days ago and asked if he knew when they might get more 380 and 9mm ammo in.  He said that the word from higher up in the Wal Mart chain was that in one or two months they would be back up to full stocking.  

I don't know if that was real knowledge or just wishful thinking.  Either they are thinking that the "ammo rush" will be over then or maybe the factories are gearing up for greater production and there will be a greater supply then.  Either way, I hope he's right.

Ed

9. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Bingo!
    I went to a gun shop, two wal-marts, a sporting goods store and another big box store before I finally found some .380 at a third Wal-mart. From some of the clerks I spoke to it's AMMO in general although .380 seems to be the worst.
    It will be interesting to see what happens to the price once supply catches back up and Obama and the rest of the anti-gunners take power.

10. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Bingo!
        I went to a gun shop, two wal-marts, a sporting goods store and another big box store before I finally found some .380 at a third Wal-mart.  From some of the clerks I spoke to it's AMMO in general although .380 seems to be the worst.
        It will be interesting to see what happens to the price once supply catches back up and Obama and the rest of the anti-gunners take power.[/quote]

I think that within one year there will be some very hard anti gun laws out of D.C.
    I also fell that in my lifetime you will have to purchase your firearms from a gov't controlled store.

11. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Aside from private sales, we're already there. ATF, Form 4473, etc...

12. sr9shooter

sr9shooter New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    380 is in short supply here in Tn/Ky. A few boxes of remington here and there but no value pack Winchester in months. Most all of the online dealers are out of most everything except the expensive stuff.

13. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Glad I built up a reserve of 1000+ rounds of .380. I really don't shoot it much anymore since finding my perfect pocket 9mm, but it's still nice to have on hand.

14. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
  15. crzbiker

crzbiker New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Obama and the liberals.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com has a decent selection.
    [/quote]

+1. I have been buying from ammunitiontogo for about a year. They have a great selection, including old commie ammo, and their prices are in line. Placed an order this morning.Right now they have a five day backup. They ship ups. I guess everyone ships ammo ups.

16. ebk637

ebk637 New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    I have been at two walmarts and they both have almost no pistol ammo.
    one had 6 boxes of blazer brass so i bought 5 of them.thats all my permission slip was approved for.lol
    and one had 2 or 3 boxes of 380 for 33 bucks a piece i think.
    it is looking grim

17. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
  18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't know the answer to my own question, but I wonder if it is really worth it to save 2-3$ a box by buying old foreign surplus ammo? You can still buy the best (IMNSHO) fmj ammo for the p3at, American Eagle for $13.99/box from buyammo.com (plus shipping which is reasonable.)

-Scott

19. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Just got back from WallyWorld and the shelves were pretty empty when it came to ammo. All of the usual's were missing....9mm, .38, 44mag, 40s&w and so on. They had 2 boxes of .380 fmj and some hollow points. I bought a box of each. The lady behind the counter said everyone was "panic" buying.

20. RHB43

RHB43 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I was in the local gun shop Friday 1-30-09 and they had plenty of the magtech fmj in 9mm, and 40 cal, but no 380. The only 380 was federal jhp. I can buy the magtech at the gun shop cheaper than walmart white box. Magtech is 12.50 per box of fifty, white box of 380 at walmart was 31.50 for box of 100.