.380 ammo availablity posts here

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tommyray, Aug 12, 2009.

1. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    .380 ammo

Just talked to a fellow who works at ATK here in town. (CCI/Speer) He was saying that they just made 500,000 .380 rounds for Wally World, with more to come. These were shipped as "Federal". He says that the only difference between Federal and Blazer Brass is the stamp on the end of the brass. See Wally World for .380.

Had to rub it in though...says he pays like $7.00 for .380 for Blazer in company store.

tr

2. catfish308

catfish308 Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Re: .380 ammo

Wow, $7....My LGS has .380, $30 for 50 :eek: Can't wait for Walmart to get some in.

3. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009

No ammo at my Walmart except some rifle, 22, and shotgun.

4. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009

Same here, just checked today. :(

5. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009

I call 2-3 times during the work week. Ha. ;D

6. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL

500,000 thousand rounds=10,000 (50) round boxes
    Walmart has 4,227 stores, so thats only about 2 to 3 boxes per store if divided equally :(

7. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009

Hardly enough to get excited about heh? :(

8. Moon

Moon New Member

Aug 16, 2008

Just checked my local WallyWorld tonight - No .380 but picked up 3 boxes of Federal 115g FMJ for $8.95/box.

9. StanSimmons

StanSimmons New Member

Jul 8, 2009

Nothing in Dallas, TX Wal-Marts yet.

10. Rick1968

Rick1968 Guest

Aug 10, 2009

I found one box of Remington 380 at a Walmart on the southside of Atlanta. I called four other stores and found none. I check these stores often and this is the first I have seen at Walmart in a long time. They said that was the only box that they got.

11. nomad_one

nomad_one Guest

Aug 10, 2009

In Lakeland, Velrico, & Brandon, Fl. No 380, 9mm, or 357 available. They all had a couple boxes of 40 :-[

12. 5Redman8

5Redman8 New Member

Sep 6, 2007

good to hear

13. lee4019

lee4019 Guest

Jul 21, 2009

My Wally world might as well start putting Halloween candy in there ammo shelves! I've gotten the same response for almost a year "What ammo, we don't have, are your looking for"

14. Sockeye

Sockeye New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Nothing at Wallys in Topeka, Kansas as well (and I mean nothing), no pistol ammo other than 22 cal. It's going to take a lot more than 500,000 rounds to make a dent in all the back orders. I'm now in my 6th month on ordering 500 rnds. from Cabela's in Kansas City.

15. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007

Gentlemen, some of the Bi-Marts here in the northwest, which have been managing to keep some .22 WMR, .357, .38, 9mm, .32, .25, 40, and .44 on the shelves sporadically, but not .380, begun stocking small amounts of WWB 95 grain FMJ about a week ago. I managed to go check on that this morning and, yes, bought a box of 50 for $17. There may be a deity after all. :-*

16. JB

JB Guest

I was discussing the issue with the owner of my favorite LGS, recently.  He and I both thought that the shortage was coming to an end about a month or so ago.  Small amounts of ammo were trickling in to Wally and he was finding it easier to get supplies for his store.  Then, after a week or two of that, things got worse - much of the ammo calibers that Wally had managed to keep pretty much all along started drying up and it got even more difficult than ever for the LGS owner to find stock anywhere.

He brought up an interesting point:

Even if the hoarders have finally stopped burying pallet-loads of ammo in their back yards and even if the gun show rip-off artists have stopped cleaning out Walmart to resell at inflated prices, there are a whole lot of new, first time gun owners (or first time handgun owners) out there.  None of these new owners had on-hand ammo supplies for these firearms.  If those new gun owners buy even one box of ammo, each, in any given month's time just think of how many boxes of ammo that is.  His thought was that the supply chain has been broken and now even the 'normal' demand is going to be higher than it was before the break.  Even if demand had gone back to levels that were normal previous to the break, it would take a while for the industry to catch up.  Take into consideration all the new guns that now need to be fed (hopefully at least some of the new handgun owners are practicing to become familiar with their firearm) and there is no telling how long it will take for the supply to return to anything approaching 'normal' levels.

I would add one other factor - the likelihood that all of us are probably buying more ammo when we find it than we might have when things were normal.  I'm not talking about hoarding, per se, but more the idea that if someone sees four boxes of .380 on the shelf after not having seen any for months they are probably going to buy two or three of them, rather than the one they might normally have bought, simply because they can't be sure when they will ever see any, again.  After all, the pistol is going to do very little good without ammo and (for me, at least) these small, SD pistols like the P3AT require at least somewhat regular practice in order to remain familiar with them - meaning a single box of practice ammo may very well not last until .380 shows up, again.  The same holds with other, popular SD calibers such as .38 Special, 9mm and .45acp.  This also applies to .22 ammo since many of us use that as a less expensive alternative for target practice and maintaining skills, especially with the shortage of larger caliber ammo, in addition to the utility of .22 in its own right.

17. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009

Surprisingly, I found a lone box of Remington 380 Auto, 38gr. JHP at Wally World this morning which I snapped up because I haven't seen any 380's there (or anywhere) for months. Paid $38 (but it was a box of 100). After I got it home I realized that I bought a box of hollow points. Duh, it said JHP right on the end of the box but I was excited and it didn't connect in my brain. Now I'm considering returning them because I've read that the P-3AT's have trouble digesting them?? Anybody have any experience with these?
    ~Roger~

18. JB

JB Guest

I have a few Hydrashok JHPs left and those are what I have in the chamber and carry mag (mostly.)  Since I only have 6 left, though, the last round in my carry mag is a Remington UMC JHP.  When I carry an extra mag, it is also loaded with Remington UMC JHP.

I actually don't even have any .380 FMJ on hand, right now.  I managed to pick up a few of those Remington UMC value packs at one of the local Wally locations back some months ago.  Just my luck, I had some problems with my P3AT right as the ammo shortage started - just about the time .380 ammo dried up (problems were not ammo related - turns out the extractor spring must have been getting weak) and ran quite a bit of the Remington stuff through it while trying to figure out the problem and then test to make sure that I had fixed the problem.  In my 1st gen P3AT, the Remington UMC JHPs run fine.  Actually, I suspect that they run better than some other HPs out there because the 'nose' is so rounded (almost like a FMJ ball round) and the cavity relatively small.  Due to this, I am not sure how well they will expand but they will at least have a better chance at expansion than FMJ.  

The one caveat I would make is that you might want to check them for 'smileys'.  On my first gen, before I modified the feed ramp, the Rem. JHPs would get pretty banged up/mashed in the cavity area due, I think, to being a somewhat long HP round.  Now, after performing a version of the 'rampectomy', I still sometimes get marks/slight indentations in that area but not enough to make me think it will greatly impact bullet performance.  FWIW, that is actually what I like about the Hydrashoks.  I had heard that, because they are a bit shorter (due to bullet construction), they tended not to get as banged up by the feed ramp - and I think that this is true.  Of course, I believe there were some design changes made to the feed ramp for the 2nd gen. guns so if you have a 2nd gen. then 'smileys' might not be a concern for you in the first place. Bottom line, I'd say test it out and see how well it feeds in your pistol. Is your P3AT well broken in, yet? If not, just keep in mind that might affect how well any ammo functions.

19. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

You might as well give them a try, Wally won't take ammo back. I'd be willing to bet they shoot just fine in your P3, if not just use them as range or breakin ammo.

I would check for "smileys" in a G2 weapon also. My P3AT is a G2 and tends to cause pretty deep smileys in FMJ and JHP ammo I've checked. I think a rampectomy and maybe some Wolf recoil springs are in it's near future.

CJ

20. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL

Stopped by the Super Walmart in Stuart,FL yesterday. The man behind the ammo counter said they received *ONE* box of 380 the night before. It was gone within minutes of being put on display. :(