32 NAA One of a Kind

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I have been wanting a 32 NAA for a long time and haven't been able to find one. So I finally broke down and machined one out of stainless steel. I digitized a P3-AT barrel and cleaned it up in CAD and fed it to the CNC. The most difficult part was adding the rifling, that also took the most time. Since I was only making one it wasn't worth the time to make tooling to make that task easier. I just gave it a rough bead blast and still have to polish it, but now I have my 32 NAA :) Now to find time to machine a stainless steel slide (and maybe a stainless steel frame, not sure of how to do that legally).

[​IMG]

2. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Is that barrel made of SAE 4140 ordnance steel like a Kel-Tec barrel? Wouldn’t want to see you do the Red Ryder BB Gun thing :)

Wilson – who’s considering the same thing as soon as he gets a CNC machine :D

3. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Awesome. :cool:
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you made one. I definitely have one of those crisp "Wilson" $100 bills for one of those if you ever start producing them.

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Is that barrel made of SAE 4140 ordnance steel like a Kel-Tec barrel? Wouldn’t want to see you do the Red Ryder BB Gun thing :)

Wilson – who’s considering the same thing as soon as he gets a CNC machine   :D[/quote]

Actually it is AISI 17-4PH Stainless Steel which has better properties than 4140 for barrels.

5. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Awesome.   :cool:
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you made one.  I definitely have one of those crisp "Wilson" $100 bills for one of those if you ever start producing them.[/quote]

This was a one of a kind, so your $100 bill is safe to be used on something else ;D

6. JJS

JJS New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    That is amazing know how. Let us know when the slide is finished and your ready to sell. I'm in for one.

7. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    They will not be available for sale, at least by me. I'm done after making this one.

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Very sweet Sprinter1!

Please be sure the 17-4 is strong enough to handle the pressure before you fire it. The dimensions were designed for 4140 and the thicknesses push the limit of the material with that stuff. I think the 4140 is tougher than the 17-4.

9. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Actually it's not, the 4140 is 125kpsi and the the 17-4 is 225kpsi. It's used in several 44's for barrels and cylinders, so a .380 will not be a problem.

10. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Too bad for me. I think KT is really missing the boat by not running a bunch of these .32naa barrels off as drop in replacements for the 2G P3ATs out there. Guess they have so many irons in the fire and limited resources like everyone else. Too bad, so sad. :'(

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Actually it's not, the 4140 is 125kpsi and the the 17-4 is 225kpsi. It's used in several 44's for barrels and cylinders, so a .380 will not be a problem. [/quote]

Good to know. Have you thought about just dropping it in a standard slide/pistol to test?

12. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Too bad for me. I think KT is really missing the boat by not running a bunch of these .32naa barrels off as drop in replacements for the 2G P3ATs out there. Guess they have so many irons in the fire and limited resources like everyone else. Too bad, so sad. :'(
    [/quote]

Too bad for Sprinter1 if it somehow failed and you got injured. Your attorney would be quite pleased, but he would be the only one.

13. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I believe you are allowed to manufacture for your own use any firearm that is not specifically regulated by the federal government, in other words no machine guns or AOWs. You may not sell it though. I don't think you have to give it a serial number but is is usually recommended that you do so. Of course you may live in a state or city that does not permit that. The following link is about 80% receivers, yours would obviously be a 0% receiver, but the same rules should apply. http://www.acmearms.com/80percentfaq.php#2

14. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Some good info on the link.

After several calls to the BATF this morning I got to talk to an agent. It's hard to believe, but the federal laws are actually very realistic toward the hobby gun maker. You can make a gun from scratch as long as it meets the requirements of a revolver or automatic (no full automatic, smooth bore unless black powder, etc). You also have to follow any state laws and most states allow it as long as you follow federal laws. A serial number is NOT required but highly recommended to add a unique name and number. The big thing is you can not make it for the purposes of resale, but that doesn't preclude you from selling it later after it is made to someone in YOUR state over 21 and they pass the buyers requirement of your state. Now here is an interesting twist, the buyer you sold it to can sell it just like any other firearm in the main stream as long as they follow federal and state laws. You also can make as many guns as you want to following the above regulations. The agent said he would send me a letter stating all the laws and requirements.

Now I have to find more time to play ;D

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Very cool. Let us know when you shoot it. :cool:

16. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I was able to leave the shop early and found a local shop that had 4 boxes of Cor Bon ammo and it was off to the range. All I can say is WOW!!! I exchanged the barrel in my normal carry P3-AT with this 32 NAA. It is LOUD and fire breathing but VERY accurate, I was able to hold 1" groups at 10 yards, something I haven't been able to do with my 380. I fired 50 rounds slow, fast, left handed, right handed without a single failure. Overall it's a keeper.

17. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Sprinter1, very jealous of your toys!  By that I not only mean the 32NAA barrel but the machinery you have available to you . . . plating equipment, digitizing equipment, CNC machines, etc.  You are one lucky man!

I knew that you wouldn't want to make these 32NAA barrals for profit (357 Sig barrels come to mind as well), but just out of curiousity, what would be the investment required for the CNC machinery to start turning out custom aftermarket barrels and slides?

I just want to dream a little bit, or inspire another KTOGer with more means to jump at it and fill a niche market.

18. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Fantastic!
    I wonder, if you are not in a position to produce the barrels is there some way you could perhaps work out a lease deal or something to allow another entity to use your equipment to produce them when you are not using it?

I wonder what the price point would be.

How much would our members be willing to pay for a .32 NAA conversion barrel for their P3-AT?

19. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    The way I look at it, you only need the CNC machinery and a garage to make custom 1 at a time barrels.  The digitizing can be outsourced.

Sprinter, was there a reason you did not start off with a pre-rifled .32 cal barrel blank?

20. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    HAHAHA, maybe lucky but broke. You would never pay off the equipment costs making barrels. This last machine was $118K plus $64K in tooling, 18k in software. And then you have the special floor needed, the 440volt wiring which was another $14K. Then you have another $11k in shipping and crating costs which includes the riggers to put it in place in the shop. Then you have about $6k in cutters to fill up the auto tool changer. As you can see it's not cheap. I didn't even bother to mention the 6 axis digitizer or granite table and digital inspection tools.