Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the Kel Tec P32, ( I love my Gen 1) is any one else currently making . 32 autos? I think an LCP or Beretta Pico chambered in 32 ACP would be nice. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Beretta Tomcat 32 ACP comes to mind. I just recently bought a new one. A few that are no longer made (as far as I know) but can still be found used are; Bersa Thunder(?), Beretta Cheetah, Makarov (or is it Tokarov?), and I'm sure many others.

I agree that something like an the Ruger LCP in 32 ACP would be great, but I don't think the public demand is great enough for Ruger or other manufacturers to take a chance on it. The perception that 32 ACP isn't adequate for a protection round is too prevelant. I think the 32 definitely has a place in my personal protection arsenal.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I think the Seecamp .32 is possibly still in production and/or the North American Arms (NAA) Guardian in .32 ACP. I think there still might be a Walther PPK in .32 ACP still in production, too. I had the NAA Guardian once, and it was only so-so for as expensive as it was: VERY heavy (all stainless) and kinda thick, field strip button was kind of tricky, would jam on the last round BY DESIGN (no ejector), and the trigger was pretty heavy. The Seecamp is basically the same thing, just smaller. Also, supposedly any revolver chambered in .327 Magnum can chamber and fire .32 ACP as well, so it makes for a cheap and possibly lower-cost practice/plinkin' round for those guns.

Beretta Tomcat and Kel-Tec P32 are the only two I can think of that are for sure still in production. Taurus made a PT732 for awhile that was pretty nice, and I probably should've picked one up while they were being made, but now they're outta production and super scarce. CZ also made a 15-round .32 ACP version of the CZ83, as I recall, but I don't think I've ever seen one around anywhere.

I like .32 ACP as a cartridge because, at least in most applications, it's pretty easy to shoot. But I can see that it's not really popular, especially these days, because it's not very big and the semi-rimmed design can present some rim-lock issues with some designs. It used to be really popular in the early 1900's and over time, with the takeover of 9mm as the world's favorite caliber of choice, it's diminished a lot. Still seems to be hanging on in some European countries and other places where civilians can't own stuff in 9mm or larger.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Taurus also had a .32ACP in their first generation Millenium lineup. 13 rounds, I think. I saw one once, passed on it, then they were gone, to my great regret.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In addition to Kel-Tec P32, there are some options:

1. Aside from Tomcat, Beretta makes Model 81, which is a just a gigantic pistol by comparison. Double-stack, even.

2. Colt was selling the new 1903s under "General Officer Edition" recently. Not sure who the contractor was for those.

3. Although Larry Seecamp has died, the company is still in business and makes the Seecamp pistols (as mentioned above).

4. Taurus has stopped making Model 132 a few years ago.

That's about all I know. Some revolvers can take .32 ACP, but I'm not versed enough in them to know if any are in current production.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I bought a CZ-70 several years ago. It's usually considered to be a ripoff of the Walther PPK in .32ACP but I've come to believe that this is a great oversimplification. The gun has a lot going for it. It's accurate, a gentle shooter, all steel, firing pin block, a loaded chamber indicator, and a safety with a decocker which allows for safe carry in Condition 1. It also has a few drawbacks, nearly all of them surrounding the horribly heavy DA trigger (SA is acceptable, though not great). A little bit of home smithing can make the trigger a little better.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: FLA2760

·
Registered
471 Posts
that little white gun in first pic is garbage, send it to me for proper disposal:)

congrats on the 70, will someday pick up that or the 50 myself... prefer the 70 but whichever i get next to nothing is the one ill grab...:)

really wanting the Rami BD..... hard to find and over priced IMO

·
Registered
861 Posts
[QUOTE="TheLastDaze, post: 2411709, member:

really wanting the Rami BD..... hard to find and over priced IMO[/QUOTE]
Ya pretty hard to find. Overpriced............worth every penny, your grandchildren will bicker over it.

·
Grand Poobah
1,429 Posts
I can recommend the Beretta 81, having just bought a new 81 FS not two weeks ago. It has been flawless with a variety of commercial ammunition and my hand loads. It's more accurate than I am. One nice feature is a chrome-lined barrel, which should make it very durable and corrosion-resistant. This finish also makes it easy to clean.

I don't know if this pistol is still in production, but it is still available in the distribution channels. When I tried to register the warranty at Beretta's website, the online form did not have "Model 81" in the drop down list. When I entered the serial number, the right model appeared on the screen, but was still not an option in the drop down list, which was a mandatory field to continue. Since it didn't feel right to intentionally put wrong information in, I mailed in the paper card. Model 84, the same pistol in .380, was a choice in the list. I don't know whether this is just an oversight, or if it means the Model 81 is out of production.

This pistol is a bit larger than a P-11, so concealability is not its strongest point. The .32 ACP magazine holds 12 rounds and the .380 holds 13. This probably has something to do with that blasted rim on the .32 ACP cartridge and making it work in a double-stack magazine.

I obtained mine in part to use as a test bed for hand loading .32 ACP and wanted a well-built current- or recent-production pistol, other than my P-32. Chronographing using my P-32 gave all sorts of crazy numbers, even from commercial ammo. Using the Beretta, the velocities make sense.

buzzsaw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.