1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
309 Posts
First of all, I would like to thank you for a really great article. Very informative and professional. If I may ask a question... What are the overall lenghts of the 2 rounds that you tested? I am especially fond of the Fiocchi ammunition due to the reliability in my P32.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, I would like to thank you for a really great article. Very informative and professional. If I may ask a question... What are the overall lenghts of the 2 rounds that you tested? I am especially fond of the Fiocchi ammunition due to the reliability in my P32.
Glad you liked it. I measured the OAL of a bunch of different .32 ammo in this article. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2011/09/look-at-32-acp-and-32-naa.html There is a column called OAL in the spreadsheet. It has measurements for a bunch of different loads.

I got .897 for the Corbon and .938 for the Fiocchi Extrema. The Corbon requires a rimlock preventer. The Fiocchi loads fine in the stock mag and will jam if you force the rounds into a mag with the rimlock kit installed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Again, Thank you for yet another great article. Your efforts are appreciated by many I suspect and thanx for the rapid response.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the important info. I have been of the opinion that FMJ ammo is the way to go with the P32 due to the penetration factor. However, now I would prefer the Fiocchi.
Thanks, again. Jerry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great test! There isn't a whole lot of ballistic testing to go on for the .32 acp out there. Did you have any plans to test some hollowpoints alongside FMJ for comparison?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great test! There isn't a whole lot of ballistic testing to go on for the .32 acp out there. Did you have any plans to test some hollowpoints alongside FMJ for comparison?
I would need to reconfigure the blocks and do larger pours into my bigger molds. I will eventually get around to it I'm sure. I just started terminal testing in March so I'm still setting my test protocols. I've done a bunch of 380 and 9mm so far.

I may try a Sellier and Bellot vs. Fiocchi Extrema soon just to get my feet wet with FMJ testing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would need to reconfigure the blocks and do larger pours into my bigger molds. I will eventually get around to it I'm sure. I just started terminal testing in March so I'm still setting my test protocols. I've done a bunch of 380 and 9mm so far.

I may try a Sellier and Bellot vs. Fiocchi Extrema soon just to get my feet wet with FMJ testing.
Fantastic! I'm sure a lot of people on here look forward to your results.

I've been thinking of picking up a box or two of Buffalo Bore 75 grain hardcast for the round in the chamber and maybe the top round in the magazine, because they have a shorter OAL. If I can locate some I would be happy to donate a few for your testing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone have an idea why almost all .32 JHP makers load their rounds to such a ridiculously short OAL? Hornday uses the same bullet (obviously) in their ammo, yet the bullet is set much deeper in the case and will cause rimlock in most .32's. In fact virtually all JHP .32 loads are useless in this respect!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have an idea why almost all .32 JHP makers load their rounds to such a ridiculously short OAL? Hornday uses the same bullet (obviously) in their ammo, yet the bullet is set much deeper in the case and will cause rimlock in most .32's. In fact virtually all JHP .32 loads are useless in this respect!
The short answer is so they will work in the Seecamp LWS32. The Seecamp needs an OAL of .910 or less.

I use the Keltec rimlock prevention kit in a magazine that can be used for most of the shorter HPs like Gold Dot, Silver Tip, Hydra Shok, and Hornady Custom.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
The short answer is so they will work in the Seecamp LWS32. The Seecamp needs an OAL of .910 or less.
Pretty much, yeah.

I can see why it happened that way when the Seecamp was the only game in town. But now that there are dozens of competing pocket 32's, you'd think that the ammo makers would change the OAL to work better with them. If they still want a piece of the LWS32 market they could very easily do limited runs of the old OAL and just mark those boxes "For the Seecamp LWS32."

This isn't Rocket Surgery.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I'm also thinking of the millions of old Walther PPK's and Colt 1903's that are still out there, which have longer barrels that can take advantage of JHP's. Those pistols must suffer from rimlock as well if loaded with JHP ammo.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Stacking angle in the magazine also affects whether rimlock is possible. The more vertical, the more likely. More angle, less possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts