Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The Kel-Tec P32 and the VZ61 Scorpion Pistol, I expect these are the two extremes of handguns chambered for the .32 ACP. Both a great guns, entirely different purposes, but still great.

ETA: That should be Extremes in Thought. Darn typing skills...

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Those are pretty extreme ends of the spectrum. Cobra does make a two-shot 'derringer' type pistol chambered in .32acp so that might actually be at an even more extreme end of the spectrum than the P32.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Maybe the OP will chime in with more info but, if I recall correctly, the Scorpion pistol was used in some fashion or another by the Israeli military. Maybe still is? I believe the military version was either select fire or full auto only (can't remember which) while the civilian version is semiauto. Anyone care to confirm/correct my statements?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is unfortunately not the real VZ61 Skorpion, but the VZ61 Scorpion pistol. The pistols that are available now are made using new lower receivers and VZ61 SMG parts kits.

The original was a select-fire PDW intended for tank crews and others who needed a sidearm more effective than a traditional pistol. The original has a folding wire stock and is semi/full auto. IIRC on the selector fully to the rear is semi, the center position is safe, and all the way forward is full auto. The Skorpion uses 10 shot or 20 shot magazines. The ten shot is intended for holstering the weapon, the 20 is intended for reloading.

The VZ61 is Czech in origin. I have never been able to determine if there are any transferable pre-86 VZ-61s on the NFA registry. Since it was a com block weapon and the iron curtain was still up when the registry closed, if there are any, I suspect it is just a few. There are some post-86 dealer samples, I'm still trying to persuade my chief to get one so we can play with it.

Czechpoint, the importer of the Scorpion pistol also sold some pistols registered as short barreled rifles with the NFA (shown below) but they were still semi-auto only. The VZ61 SBR shown below is not mine, but if I find one for the right price, I'll buy it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The Skorpion uses 10 shot or 20 shot magazines. The ten shot is intended for holstering the weapon, the 20 is intended for reloading.
Wow - I'll bet that wouldn't last too long in full auto!

When I was in high school I was the type of kid who bought Soldier of Fortune magazine. I think that was the first place I ever heard of it - but it has been a while since the 1980s and I have slept since then so I can't be completely sure. Wherever it was that I first heard of it, I remember thinking that the little fellah sounded interesting.

I don't play the 'Call of Duty' games but my 17 year old nephew does. I noticed one day when I was there and he was playing Modern Warfare 3 (I think) that the Scorpion was one of the weapons the player can get/use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, IIRC a 20 round mag lasts about a second on full-auto, the Skorpion running about 1200RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts