Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 300 BLK thread got me thinking.

Which is better and why.

The thing I like about 7.62x40 WT is that the parent case is a necked up 223.

I am thinking of build an new AR. I am trying to decide between
300 BLK
7.62 x 40 WT

Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
242 Posts
While the parent case for 300BLK isn't 223/5.56, you can make 300BLK brass out of 223/5.56. I'd go with 300, because it's an order of magnitude more common than 7.62x40WT. I'm not saying that it's inherently better, just that there's a big advantage to being able to buy commercial ammo.

6.8 is another reasonable option, as is 6.5. I'd go with the latter due to superior long range performance (although if you're considering 300 etc I imagine you aren't looking at that). Also, cheap plinking ammo is available.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Cost, convenience and reloading components favor the 300blk. It has really taken off and has earned a spot on the shelf at Wal-Mart next to the venerable 30/30. The 300blk shines in its intended role as a suppressed sub sonic round. .... and is no slouch using lighter supersonic rounds, being a decent 200 yardish deer cartridge. The 6.8 is a better long range choice but I rarely see it even at gun shops and it is more money. That 7.62x40 is a rare bird. It doesn't appear to bring anything to the table that the blk doesn't so..........No.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.