3 specific lubrication questions. :)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by diamond, Jul 7, 2010.

1. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    [edit]Hi all,

virtual-rjhauser has deemed this thread and the questions I asked in it stupid and useless. Please delete the entire thread as I don't want to wasted anyone's time.

I apologize too all of you who wasted your time posting here. Apparently, some of you found the questions relevant enough to post answers. Now you probably feel dumb. I'm sorry about that. I never should have started this post asking questions about things that I didn't know how to do.

I'm not sure what to use this forum for now since I get told that I can't post questions, comments and answers.

Maybe I'll just sit back quietly and just read the posts and threads instead of participating.[/edit]

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Oil all metal gun surfaces to prevent rust?

This is by far the best idea I've ever tried. It works for months, won't attract lint or dust and it's cheap for a lifetime supply.

CJ

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Oil on the guide-rod spring?

I do the same thing, just a very light film of oil on the rod. Not sure if it's a must but I don't see how it could hurt.

CJ

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Grease? Hmm...

Pretty much any quality grease will work. I know people here use everything from wheel bearing grease to high end gun grease. Militec1 is my brand of choice. It's a pretty common subject a few searches will give you more info then you need.

CJ

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    hows that

6. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Enks. Really. Thanks.

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I prefer GunSlik (sp) graphite lube instead of grease on my guns. YMMV but it just works well, doesn't cost much, and lasts a long time.

8. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I use a small amount of RIG gun grease to lube high wear spots on my Kel-Tec pistols, and Break Free or Ballistol as a general lube. The Ballistol has the advantage that it will remove residual salts left by your hand that promote corrosion. I do put a small amoun't of lube on the recoil spring guide to prevent rust. Wiping the metal parts with a small amount of lube is OK especially on a blued finish pistol.

Best Regards: :)

9. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
  10. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I generally use Hoppes 9 gun grease and RemOil. I put a thin sheen of grease on the recoil springs and guide rod - I figure oil will just 'sling' off after one or two cycles. Have to be careful to keep it very thin, though - don't want the grease gunking things up. I also rub a thin coat of grease onto the exterior of the slide then lightly wipe it off to make sure there is no excess.

When I sent my Gen 1 P3AT home to the factory and it returned to me as a Gen 2 built on my Gen 1 frame, there was a paper with it that listed all the work they had done. Also on that piece of paper was a statement to the effect that Kel Tec recommends using a silicone-based gun lubricant on their firearms. Unfortunately, I have yet to find such a product in any store. When I look it up online, there are one or two listings for silicone based gun oils but the vast majority of hits are for 'personal lubricants'.

11. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    1. Tetra is good, so are a lot of others.

2. Not important, doesn't hurt

3. That is rust prevention, not lubrication.

It is just a guide to get you started, it is OK to develop your own preferences.
    Clean and re-lube often.

GL

12. cactus_jack

cactus_jack New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    If your not using Gunzilla your wasting a lot of time and energy!

13. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    To tell the truth any type oil or grease will work just fine. Both are not to be left on forever. In my case and I'm sure it's with everyone else it all gets wiped off during cleaning and put right back on.So grease and oil what kind is left up to you.

14. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    A fabulous series of posts and ideas and they are all appreciated. Thank KTOGr's!

15. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I use Slipstream weapons lubricant and Slipstream Grease... the guy used to sell this as Zombie Juice or something like that. The products were originally developed by NASA as a dry lube... then a smart entrepreneur suspended it in a oil/grease form for use with firearms... If its good enough for NASA its just barely good enough for my firearms. LOL

I also use CLP break free and Bore Butter Grease.

16. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    I thought silicone based grease was the worst protection for metal wear but good for plastic gears,ect.

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005