Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that the P17 internal hammer has 3 positions:

a) forward (uncocked), safety won’t engage.

b) partial cocked, hammer not visible in viewing window, safety will engage and slide is locked (won’t slide). Trigger will drop the hammer to the uncocked position (safety must be off).
Note: The partial cocked position is set by pulling the slide back about one-fourth inch until a “click” is heard/felt.

c) Fully cocked, hammer is visible in the viewing window, safety will engage and slide is unlocked (will slide). Trigger will drop the hammer to the uncocked position.

Nothing in the user manual I could find, shows this feature. I’ve not had a semi-auto firearm that was like that before. I like the capability to lock the slide.

Will the firearm fire a round in the half cocked position (the hammer drop but not very far, enough force to strike the firing pin and ignite the primer)?

Trigw

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’m trying to imagine a way to get a round in the chamber without cocking it further...

Perhaps if you get a light strike you could try the short position and see if it goes off.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Perhaps it's a safety feature like the LCP II... "From a safety standpoint, the LCP II lacks any type of passive firing pin safety. The pistol’s hammer and sear engagement is very robust when fully cocked, negating the need for an internal firing pin block. Just to be safe, Ruger engineers did add a second sear engagement point on the hammer (similar to the half-cock position on a 1911) that will catch the hammer in case the sear receives a sufficient shock that might jar the hammer loose." (What cops need to know about the new Ruger LCP II)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keiichi has a good point. If the slide is locked and the chamber is empty then how does a round get in there.
I thought about that and a round that didn't fire after a full hammer drop is about the only way I can think of one being in there. Then partial cock and drop the hammer. However, if the round didn't fire the first time then perhaps if the round can be rotated using a slim pointed object. It might get to a rim position that will fire for a partial cock.
Nevertheless, hypothetical. I don't plan to try it. I withdraw my original question.

Trigw

·
Registered
76 Posts
When you have the hammer in the 1/2 cocked position does the trigger pull feel the same as the full cock? If so maybe this would be a way to dry fire the gun with out the normal wear?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Partial cocked trigger pull feels the same but the sound/impact is much less less.

Trigw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts