Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I put about 80 rounds down range and my hand is SORE!

Anyway, all of the ball ammo (CCI blazer) feed and went bang without a hitch, BUT I had three FTFs with the Gold Dots. It would not go into battery and I had to give the slide a little nudge.

So it looks like mine MAY not like gold dots. I am going to try a few other JHPs for testing to see how they run before deciding on a carry load. In the meantime I will just carry FMJs, most likely WWB flatnose.

Next up is Federal Hydrashoks (if I can find them) and maybe some golden sabres.

G

·
Welcome Erik... glad to have you.

When did the gold dots go in... behind the multiple rounds of Blazer?

I do not shoot blazer any more...(I have never put any in my 3AT's).

Blazers are nasty dirty rounds... not as bad as wolf, but still dirty.

If you had shot alot of the balzer, then the gold dot.... it could have been simply that the 3at just needed a little cleaning.

I have shot the gold dots with no problem, but switched to DPX.

BTW.... have you done the standard fluff and buff?

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
erikd65 said:
BUT I had three FTFs with the Gold Dots. It would not go into battery and I had to give the slide a little nudge.
80 rounds is not enough break-in to make any judgment yet.

A dry, or dirty gun may not want to go fully into battery every time during the break-in period.

My FG gun would do the "not quite locked" thing until I had put over 200 rounds through it, and its never done it again since.

Also, be sure you use grease on the barrel locking cam, pin, frame rails, and the front of the chamber area of the barrel where it locks up with the slide.

rcmodel

·
Registered
376 Posts
[quote author=rcmodel link=board

Also, be sure you use grease on the barrel locking cam, pin, frame rails, and the front of the chamber area of the barrel where it locks up with the slide.
rc, I grease my barrel cam and rails but what pin? and what chamber area of barrel that locks up with the slide?

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The take-down pin is what the barrel cam rides on.

The top / front of the open area of the ejection port is where the barrel locks into the slide when it is in battery.

Watch carefully as you start to pull the slide back and you can see the barrel locking area drop down below the opening in the slide.

rcmodel

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
Welcome Erik... glad to have you.

When did the gold dots go in... behind the multiple rounds of Blazer?

I do not shoot blazer any more...(I have never put any in my 3AT's).

Blazers are nasty dirty rounds... not as bad as wolf, but still dirty.

If you had shot alot of the balzer, then the gold dot.... it could have been simply that the 3at just needed a little cleaning.

I have shot the gold dots with no problem, but switched to DPX.

BTW.... have you done the standard fluff and buff?
I did shot a few rounds of blazer... maybe 30 or so before going to the gold dots. it did seem a bit dirty after the blazers. Can you suggest another brand to use? Maybe WWB flat nose?

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Polish your feed ramp & chamber will speed up that break in. WWB is pretty dirty ammo as well.

I put a high polish on my P3's ramp before I took is out the first time and it went over 200 rounds (I had help ;) ;D ) using WWB FMJ with only a couple of LWs and a few hang ups going into battery. A touch with my thumb on the back of the slide and it popped in. Not bad for a filthy gun. Polishing do make a difference.

It still hangs sometimes hand cycling Win Silvertips, but never when shooting. Clean it, lube it, shoot it.

G

·
erikd65 said:
I did shot a few rounds of blazer... maybe 30 or so before going to the gold dots. it did seem a bit dirty after the blazers. Can you suggest another brand to use? Maybe WWB flat nose?

I do use WWB:

The profile closely resembles carbon dpx and the WWB is cheap and easy to find.

I usually only shoot 2-4 mags when I shoot now, but I do shoot the 3ATs once a week, some times twice.

If I am in the mood to shoot more, I will clean it up a bit after the 4th mag, paying special attention to the ramp, chamber area.

I have not had a failure of any sort in a long time shooting my 3ATs like this, but I did an aggressive F&B on both before I ever shot them. I have metal mag catches now (I used to drop mags while shooting), and I have close to 1000 rounds through my first 3AT and maybe 600-700 in my newest one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.