2nd trip to range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bigrig, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Bigrig

Bigrig New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Just back from my second trip to the range with my new P3AT. First the good, 28 rounds of Blazer FMJ and 14 rounds of Magtech JHP with no problems. Now the Not-horribly-bad, at 15 feet I seem to be hitting 4 to 5 inches to the right of aim. Anyone else have this happen to them? As of now I am NOT ruling out operator error. I plan on going again Sunday to for more practice.

Nathan

2. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I had to adjust my aim also. Mine shot to the right at about that range. After I glued on my hyvis sight I had to adjust aim to 10 oclock high to get close to center at 12 to 15 feet. It may be common, I'm not sure. Love the P3 though. ;D

3. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Quote  -  at  15 feet I seem to be hitting 4 to 5 inches to the right of aim. Anyone else have this happen to them? As of now I am NOT ruling out operator error. I plan on going again Sunday to for more practice.

Mee Too = not only can't I hit on the target sometimes I don't even hit the 8 x 11 piece of paper 18 feet away from me!

And I have three shooting trophys  with my colt 1911's watsup wit dat?   :'( :'( :'(

One word comes to mind   "double action"  yikes!  my old body and hands can't adjust !
    I guess I'm just a single action kinda guy ... but I not going to give up yet.
    I'll practice for another 25 years or so till I get better. :)

4. unit1069

unit1069 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    That's also my experience after the third trip back from KT. When I first bought the .380 my aim was much better from every different range.

Like you I love the little KT for concealed protection.

5. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Ya, 2 oclock very high for me.

But, my PF 9 should be here next monday and I'll most likely get much worse!

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Mine shoots a bit high and right at that range.

Bobo

7. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    There’s nothing like a liteweight Kel-Tec to put manners on those of us who
    consider  ourselves a good to excellent shooters.

The light weight of the gun and the addition of a short barrel make it a considerable
    challenge even for the best of us.

I think after shooting a Kel-Tec reasonably well after practice you could just about
    blow away any Glockinheimer shooter that comes to the range all full of himself. Ya?

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

8. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I’ll never forget the first time I fired the P3-AT.
    I took it to the range about  3 days after I bought it and bought their Fiocchi ammo
    because in Flordia you have to use range ammo (ya, that sucks) but I loaded it up and
    got ready to shoot.
    I put the target on the slide sent it down about 15 feet and took a shot.

Well it just about scared th sh@!t out of me … a flame about 15 inches long came out of
    the barrel and the noise almost made me deaf !  PS,  I forgot to put my ear protectors
    on… I jumped about a foot in the air and said to myself …  be careful you idiot .. this is
    a real gun.   It's so small I forgot it wasn’t a toy.  Man, what a shock to my body, I almost sacred myself to death!

Oh! By the way I missed the target!   :-[

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Generally a good sign of pulling the weapon along with the trigger, likely because of the heavy trigger pull / light weapon combination. It is hard to get used to. Spend LOTS of time with GOOD snap caps and you can minimize this.

-Scott

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Mr. Jack - how exactly does one forget this when firing a weapon? Especially at a range?? I have never been to a range that did not have signs EVERYWHERE requiring the use of hearing protectors.

Now I suppose forgetting is slightly better than choosing not to (which I am guilty of on a whim in the back yard) from time to time.

-Scott

11. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I don't know ... I was all alone .. looking at the gun getting the targets ready , loading the
    one magazine I got with the gun and I forgot ... so what!
    My ears are the only ones that should complain.

Signs , we don't need no stinkin' signs in Florida.   :D

As a matter of fact in Florida everyone must have a gun,  I remember I was on 95 going to Fort Lauderdale
    and my mom was with me and she didn"t have her gun and the trooper gave her a ticket
    for noncarry of a firearm..  ya. it's true ..

12. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Welcome to KTOG Nathan,

It's definitely a trigger to get used to but, the little bugger can be very accurate.
    I've found the 3AT to be like all my others.... a better shot than me ;)
    A very slow( it takes a while )pull and a dab of bright paint on the front sight will help.

This was a while back as I mostly practice point shooting now.
    [​IMG]

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Now that's a state I could live in!

-Scott

14. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Rubb - your good you.
    "You got a gift ."

Robert DeNiro - Analize this and that.

But seriously, that's pretty good shootin'

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

15. jackde3

jackde3 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I know one thing - when my PF 9 gets here Monday or Tuesday I am not going to
    forget my ear plugs, shooting glove, eye protection, ammo, targets, clothing,
    shoes, wallet, money, credit cards and all the other stuff I need to get into that shooting
    range.

I expect the first shot will be worst than the P3 and I'm ready!

My wife will take the first shot while I'm having coffee in the lounge.    :) [smiley=beer.gif] :)