Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2nd PF9, after 40+ rounds started having the FTEx issues. I was shooting a mix of about 70-30 WWb over Rem UMC. The Rem UMC as well as 1 magazine of 147 Gran gold dots were perfect. The WWb were through about 30 rounds or so.

I went home cleaned and lubed again (I had already cleaned thoroughly and a light F&B before I went to the range). Stopped by Wally wirld and grabbed 50 Red Feds and 50 UMC's .

Rem UMC's were flawless,the Wally Feds were about 1 in 3 FTE'x. So having been down this road before I had an extra extractor spring. I removed the Frankenbolt and the firing pin assembly, installed the extra extractor and checked the firing pin chamber for bolt length, I could see it was shorter but looked to be enough.

Re-installed everything and fired about 40 more perfect rounds of mixed Wally Fed and Rem UMC, NO PROBLEMS at all, until the dreaded "click" sound. I knew instantly the firing pin did not retain and that was correct. the Frankenbolt had backed out ever so slightly and that was enough to send the firing pin airborne

I called Super KT cs to the rescue, and as always they came through (best in the business for my experience). New firing pin assembly will arrive and I will get a slightly longer bolt.

What are the odds if the percentage of KT PF9's with issues, are so low, as some have posted here, that I would get 2 brand new with FTEx issues?

I like this PF9 and I will carry it in rotation even with the double stack extractor spring

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Sounds more like the issues were with the WWB rather than the PF-9 itself. This really is not uncommon, as many PF-9s have issues with the wally world stuff. I have never had any success with WWB, but both my PF-9s feed and extract quality ammo (Remington UMC, Federal, PMC Bronze, and good JHP) with no problems at all.

Jim R

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds more like the issues were with the WWB rather than the PF-9 itself. This really is not uncommon, as many PF-9s have issues with the wally world stuff. I have never had any success with WWB, but both my PF-9s feed and extract quality ammo (Remington UMC, Federal, PMC Bronze, and good JHP) with no problems at all.

Jim R
Negative, thanks for your input but you must have completely glossed over the part about the Wally Feds FTEx upon the 2nd trip to the range failing 1 of 3

·
Registered
152 Posts
I donno what the chance is of getting two PF9's with FTE probs ..
but my new slide and barrel came today (replacement for the previous new one that beat/peened it's self to death in 120 rnds ):(

The new one won't extract :mad:

WWB
WPA
Fed Premium HST

dammit

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Frustrating!!! I hope you get it resolved quickly.

My first one died a peening death in the first 100 rounds... could have gone a few more if I continued to remove the ridge created by the peening. It appeared to be a barrel to slide gap issue. Too much space between barrel lockup and slide.

A little peening with Federal & UMC... MUCH more with WWB.

My new slide and barrel has less of a gap and no peening to date but does not like WWB FMJ.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frustrating!!! I hope you get it resolved quickly.

My first one died a peening death in the first 100 rounds... could have gone a few more if I continued to remove the ridge created by the peening. It appeared to be a barrel to slide gap issue. Too much space between barrel lockup and slide.

A little peening with Federal & UMC... MUCH more with WWB.

My new slide and barrel has less of a gap and no peening to date but does not like WWB FMJ.

Good luck!
Exactly what does the peening look like?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I donno what the chance is of getting two PF9's with FTE probs ..
but my new slide and barrel came today (replacement for the previous new one that beat/peened it's self to death in 120 rnds ):(

The new one won't extract :mad:

WWB
WPA
Fed Premium HST

dammit

..L.T.A.
Put on the second extractor spring and I'm betting you will have no more issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
here's some more pics of slide peening

Seems pretty obvious it was a soft slide to hammer peen it's self after only 120 rnds

I'm happt to report that the new slide and barrel I received shows NO peening after 200 rnds .
Just a little bit of finish worn off where the barrel lug locks up.
Which quite normal and to be expected imHo

.L.T.A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts