Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2nd P3AT. ;D My first one has about 250 rounds through it with no malfunctions. The new one is parkerized and I noticed that the recoil spring guide rod is about 1/8" longer that on my first one. Is this to avoid peening. On my blue finish gun, the guide rod is nearly flush with the front of the slide. I have noticed slight signed of peening. I think I will call KT and request a longer guide rod and see if it helps.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I would be concern with a recoil rod that was flush with the end of the slide.

the end of the recoil rod will be champher, to remove the sharp cornor and therefore be excessive clearance (when in battery).

the recoil rod in mine sticks out 0.030" (the thicknes of a credit card) and I feel is OK.

If the 2nd one is sticking out 0.125", it might not be seated proper in the frame,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally took some pictures. The guide rods measure 2.12" for the blue and 2.13" for the park'ed.

On the blue, the rod protrudes.025 ". On the park'ed, it protrudes .050". Both rods are properly seated. I haven't shot the park'ed yet. I'm sure it will shoot as well as the other.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
It might just be a reflection, but the Blued rod looks more tappered at the tip and like the tapper extends back in to the slide.
The parked looks more squared at the end.

I would think the differance in extenstion will be due to slide and frame dimensions.  before shooting the park why not try swaping and see if the extension proves that.   Then after shooting the parked some, recheck to see if its extension is the same.

Due to the tapper on the blued, I would call KT, say you have very minor possible beginings of slide damage at the recoil rod guide hole and that your rod IS short and tappered and request they send you one that is not tapppered.

now the nylon washers move the point of rod contact back 0.030 in the slide if you want to try, but they may stack the springs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped out the rods and the blue rod just clears the front of the slide on the park'ed. The shorter rod is definitely tapered on the end. I will call KT and request a longer, non tapered rod.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.