2nd generation owners: Need your input

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gbundersea, Apr 25, 2009.

1. gbundersea

gbundersea New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you own a SECOND GENERATION P-3AT, I am in need of a couple of measurements. A caliper will be necessary.

There is a fair amount of tolerance in the positioning of the semicircular hole behind the sight and I'm trying to determine how much it varies from pistol to pistol. I have several samples already, but the more measurements I get, the better.

See the picture below. Segments A-B and K-L will indicate centering; B-C is the depth of the sight notch, D-F shows height, and F-I the front-rear length. To get D-F, you may have to measure from the top of the sight (at center of the black dashed line) straight down to F, then subtract the value of B-C (depth of the sight notch.)
    [​IMG]
    Any help you can give will be most appreciated. Be sure to tell me which model pistol you have along with the measurements. Please send it to me via PM or email, instead of posting it in this thread.

Thank you very much!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Taken caliper measurements will be extremely subjective. here are mine.

AB=0.100"
    BC=0.039"
    DF=0.065"
    FI~0.110"
    KL=0.085"
    BK=0.121"

AB=0.095
    BC=0.023
    DF=0.095
    FI~0.130
    KL=0.095
    BK=0.120"

3. gbundersea

gbundersea New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Thank you VERY much.

Keep 'em coming!

4. mgregg85

mgregg85 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I can tell you that my a-b and k-l measurements are noticeably different, its annoying but I mostly use my crimson trace anyways. I've looked at a couple others and you can usually see that the sight notch is cut off center. I don't know how much difference this makes in such a little gun but it could be improved.

5. Poncho

Poncho New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Here's the best I could do for my 2nd gen P3AT purchased new Aug 2006.

A-B   .097
    B-C   .032
    D-F   .073
    F-I    .116
    K-L   .111
    B-K   .113

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Mine is cut dead center. So are the others I've looked as well. Maybe all of them I've looked at are special for some reason but I've never seen one with a notch cut off center.

7. BackYardShooter

BackYardShooter New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    AB=.069
    BC=.027
    DF=.069
    FI=.103
    KL=.097
    BK=.112

Seems to be a lot of inconsistencies here... hmmmmmm, ah ha!!

8. gbundersea

gbundersea New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    From all I have seen and heard, the inconsistencies are not with the sight, but with the semicircular hole behind the sight. So, while it may make the sight appear a little off, alignment and functionality are not affected.

In newer pistols, even these purely cosmetic differences have been eliminated.

Keep in mind that measuring these tiny dimensions is not easy, so variation will occur. I myself usually get slightly different results on the exact same dimension every time I measure it.

The position of the semicircular hole does impact my project somewhat though, so your input is extremely helpful!

Thanks to everyone, and please keep them coming!

9. gbundersea

gbundersea New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Bump! Need more input!  :)

10. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    A-B .085
    B-C .030
    D-F .075
    F-I .110
    K-L .110
    B-K .125

Mine is off center. I never even noticed before. It hits where its supposed to though.

11. veni_vidi_vici

veni_vidi_vici New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I just noticed that as well, front and rear are both right to center (anyone else see any irony in that ;))