2nd Gen P3AT Firing Pin Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CAPTAINAMERICA, Jul 27, 2009.

1. CAPTAINAMERICA

CAPTAINAMERICA New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I was cleaning my wife's 2nd Generation P3AT tonight and noticed that the firing pin isn't solid like my 1st Generation P3AT.  In fact it looks like only the end is in place and some of the side is missing.  I'm posting a picture in hopes that someone can tell me if I'm losing my mind or there is something wrong.  I've cleaned both weapons many times but tonight I'm honestly going to say I'm confused and unsure.  There have been a lot of those nights lately.  Please advise.

Also, what is the hex size of the frankenbolt for removal?  

It is much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The pin looks like mine and the several spares I have. There is an drawing of the pin in past post (sorry I'm travel this am and don't have time to search) For a 2G, I have not seen a 1G

from what i can make out in the pic, the slide look like mine except for the under cut to the slide rails on the extractor side. I can just make out a tool mark, where yours looks like an actual cut. I wouldn't worry about it

the extractro screw is 5/64" but a 2mm fits tighter. besure the allen key is a good one or the head will strip out. also KT used loctite so some direct heat >200F to the head would help

3. scotthsi

scotthsi New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    That recess is perfectly normal.  The frankenbolt extends into the recess to keep the firing pin from shooting out of the slide and back into your face.  It's also why you shouldn't dry fire a P3AT, either.  Without something to cushion it, the rear part of the firing pin "flange" will fly forward and crash into the frankenbolt and flatten the threads making it difficult to remove and the head may very well get stripped.  The 1st Gen P3ATs weren't any different except the hex screw wasn't a "frankenbolt" and was located on the top of the slide.  It only held the firing pin captive and had nothing to do with the extractor assembly like on the 2nd Gen P3ATs.

4. CAPTAINAMERICA

Aug 2, 2005
    I appreciate the fast responses. I wouldn't have known either way; especially last night. But after looking at it closer today I'm kind of surprised. My Gen 1 firing pin is the same stock number on the Kel Tec parts list as the Gen 2 (and the P32) so I would've thought they would look exactly the same. Also would've thought they look the same as the pic of the parts in the manual. Probably has something to do with the different extractor assemblies. Thanks again.

One last thing; where would be my best bet to get the entire extractor assemblies and firing pin/spring for both models (including another frankenbolt)?

5. CAPTAINAMERICA

Aug 2, 2005
    I believe the thread with the cad/cam looking drawing of two different firing pin styles is as follows: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245894434/0

That thread explains a lot more. Since all is well I just need to cut an order for some extra parts including the firing pins and springs.

Thanks for the assistance.

6. scotthsi

scotthsi New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Just call Kel-Tec and ask. They sent me three complete sets of spring, extractor and bolt for free. Great service!